Is SNKP finished after KOF XIII?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Highly doubt it. As I said in January it makes no sense for Playmore to quit when they can make money releasing old titles on consoles for dirt cheap (Neo Geo Station anybody?). Now what are the chances that Playmore makes a brand new game for a while....... that depends on how KOF XIII does. If it does well they have enough characters made to where they only have to make 30% of the game from scratch so it's still affordable. Now the chances on a brand new game 100% from scratch like MOTW2? Highly doubtful for mow.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm seriously planning to buy multiple copies of the game, and hand out the extra copies to whoever interested in fighting games, and who in turn, may help introduce the game to his friends.

Would be great if others could join me in this support initiative by doing the same.

Last edited:

Reality Check

World Hero
Highly doubt it. As I said in January it makes no sense for Playmore to quit when they can make money releasing old titles on consoles for dirt cheap (Neo Geo Station anybody?).

SNKP has been doing this for years. They have re-released their old games on every home console under the sun. I can go to my local Gamestop and buy Fatal Fury Battle Archives vol. 1 for less than $10.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ I agree, but the new thing is to play it online. To which unless you are from Japan and played the games on the Playstation 2 it's a new thing for them to release here. That's why the Neo-Geo Station is being released right now. It's good business sense if everyone wants to play this online to release it to little money spent on their part.

Reality Check

World Hero
SNKP hasn't released a game with good online yet. Check out the games they put on Xbox live. The netcode of all of those games are shit. They dropped the ball on Neo Geo Station. They should have kicked it off with releasing games people still play like KoF 98, Fatal Fury Special or something. Who the fuck wants to play KoF 94 and AoF online?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Milking is the name of the game. 3DTV is probably next.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
After giving some of the current NG Station games a shot, I'm somewhat glad they didn't start with the A+ titles. First of all, these ports are so much better than any recent ports compilation SNKP has made. However, they also have some issues which I'm glad didn't end up being in a A+ title. These issues include framerate issues in MS1, lack of custom regional settings (needs uncensored content with English text) and inconsistent online performance. I really hope these get fixed in future releases. I also hope MS1 gets an update to fix the frame rate, as it's one of the games that deserves to be perfect.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
SNKP hasn't released a game with good online yet. Check out the games they put on Xbox live. The netcode of all of those games are shit. They dropped the ball on Neo Geo Station. They should have kicked it off with releasing games people still play like KoF 98, Fatal Fury Special or something. Who the fuck wants to play KoF 94 and AoF online?

I play all the titles for the most part on XBL and dabble with PSN (KOF 95). Just because the online is shit doesn't mean people won't buy it. You tell them online and cheap ($10) and most will check it out. I agree I am not pleased with the quality, but again this is a company with limited resources in financial trouble.

It's sad but I am not surprised at this. They will probably go the George Lucas route and release everything they can before they release something new to get as much money back as possible.

The netcode is SLOWLY (like a snail) getting better. KOF95 is the best so far. I'm hoping it bodes well for XIII but in all honesty my hopes are not that high.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I will support the hell out of this but I have no hope for another quality release from SNK. Those hoping for a Last Blade 3 or Mark of the Wolves 2 are most likely fooling themselves. If we are going to get anything else from SNK it is going to be a re-release of Last Blade 2 on XBL/PSN.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
IMO, if SNKP can actually bring out a quality release like KoF XIII, I'll hold out hope for another. But I agree, it's silly to hold our breath for a Last Blade 3 or MotW2. They're still pretty strapped for cash apparently and a lot of resources have gone into XIII. I can only hope sales go well for the game, though.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that DOESN'T want a return to glory at heart. KOF XIII goes gangbusters, has good net code and then just brings in boatloads of money so they can just continue to improve and bring back even more games.

This won't happen.

Everything I said up there through the money rolling in could happen but the way that management appears to be acting is pretty much like any other corporate management out there, short sighted goals on making the quick buck now, completely ignoring trying to shoot for long term gains, because they want cash now. That's why you see all this cheap lowest denominator stuff like that Queen's Gate game (which granted, I would buy if it came out into the US, but that's not the point) or cellphone games. They are quick and make a faster return on investment.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Everything I said up there through the money rolling in could happen but the way that management appears to be acting is pretty much like any other corporate management out there, short sighted goals on making the quick buck now, completely ignoring trying to shoot for long term gains, because they want cash now. That's why you see all this cheap lowest denominator stuff like that Queen's Gate game (which granted, I would buy if it came out into the US, but that's not the point) or cellphone games. They are quick and make a faster return on investment.

I gotta disagree here. Since the new president took over, they seem to have been planning their moves extremely cautiously. The quality of the NG Station ports and the way KOFXIII's home port was handled show that. Queen Blade and the pachislot business .... etc. is a good incentive for them, and I don't mind them using it if it had helped us in getting KOFXIII as we see it today.

With that said, I still don't see them pull another major release after KOFXIII. Not for another few years. We may, however, get different irritations of KOFXIII with minor upgrades and additional content.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I gotta disagree here. Since the new president took over, they seem to have been planning their moves extremely cautiously. The quality of the NG Station ports and the way KOFXIII's home port was handled show that. Queen Blade and the pachislot business .... etc. is a good incentive for them, and I don't mind them using it if it had helped us in getting KOFXIII as we see it today.

With that said, I still don't see them pull another major release after KOFXIII. Not for another few years. We may, however, get different irritations of KOFXIII with minor upgrades and additional content.

I'd be glad to be wrong on that one. No disagreement on the Queen's Gate & pachislot, it makes money, but it's no replacement for the series of days past.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
It will end with KOF XIV where after you beat Rugal for the 5th time you hear a heart begin to beat, and an old man awakens from a hospital bed after nearly 25 years of being in a coma. SNK was all a dream, and Rugal was actually his psychie forcing him to stay alive, while the KOF team was his will to accept death trying to stop it. After this final battle with a roster that makes no damn sense (Team Samsho, Team Twinkle Star), our hero finally accepts his death and flatlines. SNK is dead, SNKP was merely his health taking a dramatic plunge and his legs getting infected so they needed to be cut off.

A Dr. enters the room (Dr. Bogard) and runs to the flatlining man, remembering his family has signed a DNR (at his suggestion even) he shakes him asking "Are you ok!?", but he has gone. He checks one more time "Hey c'mon c'mon....live!", but its no use. Knowing he can't jump him he lays the sheet over the man's face. As Dr. Bogard leaves the room he sees the sunset come into the window, beautiful shades of purple and orange fill the hospital room, blinding the Doctor. He squints, and quietly murmurs "bust on my friend" as he goes to get the coroner.

The end.

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Regardless if KOF XIII performs well or not, SNKP will still be a decomposing zombie of the original. At least KOF XIII will slow down the decay though.

At first, I'd have joined you in this thread. I agree that SNK is being run by monkeys and they are not headed in a good direction.

HOWEVER...I temper my sentiment because I'd like to think that at least they'll try to stick it out until 2014 (the 20th anniversary of KoF).

After that, it's done.

If I'm to be blunt, I wholly blame KoF XII for driving SNK into the ground. People avoided that game like the plague and it led SNK Playmore to think that the video game industry was no longer viable (instead of...you know...THE GAME WAS HALF-DONE).

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
KOFXIII looks like a worthy title to pick up, various backgrounds which have references to older SNK titles which I like. honestly it does look like a farewell title though. That said KOF2K looked like that and here we are discussing KOFXIII. IMO SNK's been dead for a long time, KOFXIII is the first decent KOF since '03 and even '03 wasn't that great.

I'd like MOTW2, LB3, AOF4 and another KOF but eh SNKP is on its last legs.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Let's face it, even if SNKP takes the final plunge at some point, I'm sure many of us hope someone picks up their IP's. SNKP certainly hasn't done great business overall, but no reason to let their classic characters and franchises die with them.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i just need a new Metal Slug with KOF XIII graphical quality...and then a new Samurai Shodown,and then a new Mark of the Wolves,and then....

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
The same way Square was going to finish after making Final Fantasy?
KOFXIII looks just fine. Not releasing it every year like they used to doesn't mean that SNKP is going to wash their hands of the series.
Did people think Capcom finished after Street Fighter III 3rd Strike? I didn't think so.

Let's face it, even if SNKP takes the final plunge at some point, I'm sure many of us hope someone picks up their IP's. SNKP certainly hasn't done great business overall, but no reason to let their classic characters and franchises die with them.

I want to believe but I'm willing to bet if SNK does crap out on the video game industry, they're going to clutch to their IPs anyway because they're more valuable to them than if they actually let another company buy them out and produce new games with them.

It just doesn't seem likely.

The same way Square was going to finish after making Final Fantasy?
KOFXIII looks just fine. Not releasing it every year like they used to doesn't mean that SNKP is going to wash their hands of the series.
Did people think Capcom finished after Street Fighter III 3rd Strike? I didn't think so.

It isn't just SNK not releasing new KoF installments yearly. There's been rumors they don't want to stick it out in the game industry and the lead producer of KoF XIII did leave last year.

I dunno...something about SNK stinks right now.

(P.s. - Your forums really need an edit button)

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I'll concede that SNKP's management has generally been very bad. However, I'd think they'd at least be wise enough to see the longterm possibilities / sales in the KoF franchise and possibly others if the time were invested. Basically I wouldn't put much stock in those rumors, but I wouldn't completely discredit them either.