Is SNKP finished after KOF XIII?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I have no credible first hand information on the subject, but...

Rumors have been swirling that the SNKP higher ups have no interest in continuing KOF(the last series they have) and they plan on canning a bunch of programmers before going back to the pachi business.

How true or possible is this? :(

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Maybe E. Kawasai started another company so he could rescue SNK again.

snkino

n00b
if its true i will not be suprise because it has been nearly a decade since the demise (snk) lift and the korean company (playmore) cant produce anything similar or even not close to it

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Depends on how well the console version is going to be. Good Net code and a more than barebones port will play a huge part.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Looking at the presentation and everything that is included with the console version, it really feels like a farewell. Just like KOF 2000 did.

So yeah, I've been getting that same impression even though I don't have anything beyond feeling backing it up, either.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It'd be awesome if NGF got the exclusive rights to distribute the game in America this time, too.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This wouldn't surprise me, but I think they'll keep going.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'm looking for evidence, but anything that substantiates the rumor comes from early january when the producer left the company.

Honestly, I'm hoping this does so well they can get back to releasing them annually...but then I read asshole comments on the evo footage....guys saying the game looks like a DLC title with snes era graphics....besides getting pissed off I also realize the mainstream gamers will never go for it like they did with SF.

They are too god damn stupid.

Last edited:

Chunky Lover 53

Fio's Quartermaster
Honestly, I'm hoping this does so well they can get back to releasing them annually...but then I read asshole comments on the evo footage....guys saying the game looks like a DLC title with snes era graphics....besides getting pissed off I also realize the mainstream gamers will never go for it like they did with SF.

Well said

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Honestly, I'm hoping this does so well they can get back to releasing them annually...but then I read asshole comments on the evo footage....guys saying the game looks like a DLC title with snes era graphics.....

The people claming this are either ignorant kids who never played a SNES or old-ass Scrooges with bad eyesight.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I am ignoring any criticisms about the graphics of this game because, regardless of whatever else SNK-P may or may not fuck up with this title, the graphics are a masterpiece. Anybody that says otherwise is just wrong.

I'm wondering...will all those same people hating on KOF XIII's graphics say the same thing about 3rd Strike online?

They are ignorant savages.

Four words: Queen's Gate- Spiral Chaos
http://psp-queensgate.channel.or.jp/

The game has Mai Shiranui, Cham-Cham, Mina and Iroha, but:
1) It's an RPG.
2) It's developed by Bandai-Namco Games and Banpresto.
3) If you've never heard of Queen's Gate (or Queen's Blade), well... look it up and get ready to hang your head in shame.

That game alone is one possible indication of where things might be headed for SNKP's IPs. Will they continue to release classic titles on XBLA and PSN's Neo-Geo Station? Most likely, yes. Will there be any new games developed? If KOF XIII is a ginormous success, possibly yes; if not, the only future games will be crude cell phone games and pachislot machines. Will SNKP hand out its' IPs to third-party developers? Perhaps so (wouldn't be the first time that's happened; KOF 2001, Metal Slug 4 and Samurai Shodown 5 being just a few examples).

Honestly, this is all just a load of speculation on my part, and I don't expect to see any answers come forth until the end of this year or beginning of next year.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Four words: Queen's Gate- Spiral Chaos
http://psp-queensgate.channel.or.jp/

The game has Mai Shiranui, Cham-Cham, Mina and Iroha, but:
1) It's an RPG.
2) It's developed by Bandai-Namco Games and Banpresto.
3) If you've never heard of Queen's Gate (or Queen's Blade), well... look it up and get ready to hang your head in shame.

At this point, I'm more interested in Queen's Blade Rebellion that another fighting game that just adds a bunch of stuff that's just there for my opponent's benefit. Far as I'm concerned, if there's no suicide/surrender move, there's nothing in fighting games that'll be of any use to me on a competitive level.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
I'm looking for evidence, but anything that substantiates the rumor comes from early january when the producer left the company.

Sad but true...

Actually I hope SNKP is not done just yet...
I mean... wouldn't it be awesome to get a new version of our favourite games? KOF is not the ONLY franchise that could offer some profit...
The console topic is out of the question though ... you are right, mainstream gamers would never get on board of anything NOT Wii, Xbox360 or ps3 ... it's sad but true...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I hope they at least license it out to a capable developer.

I Mean how hard is it to add a character or two, add some new backgrounds, remix an old song, and call it a new game?

They did it for years with those old sprites (which held up until they went high rez with the atomiswave.)

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner

I want kofXIII to make money and all but, to me, the peak of fighting game design came from 1997-2002 when only hardcore fans paid attention. kofXIII has that same spirit, that's why ive already preordered it. Let the babies have their polygons.

Curt

apostate
KOFXIII is the final desperation move.

I hope it succeeds.

It really depends on ALL OF US. Especially Neo-Geo.com, make no mistake. They need us now more than ever. If you have ever loved what SNK stood for, the hardcore, the longtime fans, and especially the media who has any sort of respect for SNK. We all, every one of us, owe it to them to help make this release one for the books. It deserves to go down as a classic. And if it goes down in flames with ravenous support, all the better.

If this is the last True KOF game, you will not be able to say it wasn't great.

STAND UP!

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave

I hope it succeeds.

It really depends on ALL OF US. Especially Neo-Geo.com, make no mistake. They need us now more than ever. If you have ever loved what SNK stood for, the hardcore, the longtime fans, and especially the media who has any sort of respect for SNK. We all, every one of us, owe it to them to help make this release one for the books. It deserves to go down as a classic. And if it goes down in flames with ravenous support, all the better.

STAND UP!

+1
stand THE FUCK UP:buttrock:

Chunky Lover 53

Fio's Quartermaster
We should start a poll to see how many peeps or on board with KOFXIII for the 360 or PS3.
Im buying my copy for the 360 on the day of release.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Yay more pachislot and iphone games! :glee:

Jokes aside as I'm not a real fighting game nut I would have rather had another of their series continue up to now on the big screen. Like the Slug or sth. Unfortunately this is not possible in todays times were good ol sidescrolling action isn't enough for the Modern Warfarers.....

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member

I hope it succeeds.

STAND UP!

Day one purchase my friend. This fucking game also needs to be one of the main games at EVO. I'm tired of this side tournament shit.