Is there a way to know the AES board revision without opening it?

PeterWar

I put my balls in the closet
So I have an unopened Neo Geo AES in good cosmetic condition. Model number NEO-0, serial number 095320. Is there a way to know the AES board revision without opening it? perhaps by looking at certain chips when opening the cartridge slot doors?

Thank you in advance for your time.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The revison marking is going to be on the very right edge of the PCB so you want to hold the AES vertically left side of the slot up,pushing in the doors with a flash light to get a look
If you see NEO-AES on the very right edge,that's the first verison.You can also identify NEO-AES by seeing a cable attched to a daughter board which is the encoder.
With the other revisions you should be able to just make out the revision by seeing a dash followed by the number peaking out from behind the bios chip.
NEO-AES3-4 Would be seen looking in as -4 MADE IN JAPAN
BB

PeterWar

I put my balls in the closet
I can confirm that this works, thank you Big Bear, my AES has a 3-5 board, interesting for a 095320 serial.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Congrats. The 3-5 is pretty good, and often doesn't need much, if any modification. One thing to check is to make sure the stereo output on the headphone jack isn't reversed.

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
FWIW you can easily tell the revision if you have a god picture of the slot, the components (resistors and caps) and traces around it differ between revisions.