Is this shit for real?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Low tier SNES games are getting expensive. Games that were 10 dollars last year are now approaching 30. In 1 year!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I pity the fool who tries to start a collection in 2020. Just buy consoles, flashcarts and stacks of taiyo yudens, bro.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Flash carts are getting cheaper with more compatibility and features. We’re going to hit a point (I mean FFS were already there for a lot of consoles) where the cost of a new game will get you a flash cart with 100% compatibility and additional features. There’s going to be a point where the only people actively buying used games are collectors rather than people who actually want to play that game for one reason or another.

And then the markets going to probably tank lol

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wow i didn't know gamecubes worth that much...Kind of regretting opening Smash Bros($520), Sunshine($180), & Wind Waker($320) cuz my son wanted to try it out. He only played Smash less than an hour, same for Wind Waker. He did play Sunshine for a bit, so no regrets. Also opened up Mario Party 6 or 7, just to see what was inside and ruined the box.

Looks like Fire Emblem is the most expensive one i have $350. I think i paid $30 for it at Circuit City.

With all the money you make, why would you be so concerned with the sealed value? That seems rather odd.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
With all the money you make, why would you be so concerned with the sealed value? That seems rather odd.

I seriously dont think making 200k annually is that much money. I still shop at the dollar store, I buy things when they go on sale, I use coupons, I dont wear expensive clothes or goto fancy restaurants.

Instead of being concern with my concern...Why dont you go be concern with your shmup scores faggit.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
It’s people who watch a YouTube video on the Saturn after they’ve burned out collecting pc engine games that cause the price to go up so much. These types of people just try and look for “rare and obscure” games that often are garbage. They will pay whatever price to have garbage games that are just pieces to look at on their shelf.

The hoarder mentality is the icky part. I don't fault people for collecting games. Its the rush to fill a shelf regardless of condition that bothers me. I like seeing a curated collection that shows the collector's passion for their subject. Seeing yet another nasty room with shelves of games in garbage condition posted to social media is dumb. I don't get the impression that people are collecting at all. Just racing to show others they spent money.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I seriously dont think making 200k annually is that much money. I still shop at the dollar store, I buy things when they go on sale, I use coupons, I dont wear expensive clothes or goto fancy restaurants.

Instead of being concern with my concern...Why dont you go be concern with your shmup scores faggit.

Boy for someone that is so intelligent, you sure are quick to call people slurs. You got a inferiority complex or something? I just asked a question, your answer came off as rather harsh and quite combative.

Totally been working on my scores, thank you sincerely for being concerned with my concern.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Then what's the point? This is all very intriguing. I didn't realize anyone making 6 figures would choose to slum it to that extent.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
These past three months have been stupid for games overall.

Just look at gamesvaluenow and look around february/march to today on games. I'll give an example of a common ass game on the ps2. Smackdown here comes the pain was like $15, now its like $45-50. A common ass game.

Also Saturn/DC games are up because terraonion needs to print more money and people need their dopamine games from buying games. Why do you think arcade games have gone up? It is super easy to get a supergun now and even cheaper yet the value of games have increased exponentially. I see a whole lot of humble bragging but not a lot of playing.

Add that with youtubers hyping up a game (find any youtube video about a "rare" game and check gamesvaluenow at the same time +3 months). It always increases a shit ton amount.

Then we got the usual hoarders like the metal jesus rocks crew and friends, resellers, and johnny come latelies. Bad combination ahead of us for those of us who enjoy buying the bonafide deal.

Last edited:

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
Talking about it like it’s news...time to get with the times.

Play games you love and leave the rest for the sheep.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Boy for someone that is so intelligent, you sure are quick to call people slurs. You got a inferiority complex or something? I just asked a question, your answer came off as rather harsh and quite combative.

Totally been working on my scores, thank you sincerely for being concerned with my concern.
No problem pal

Then what's the point? This is all very intriguing. I didn't realize anyone making 6 figures would choose to slum it to that extent.

Sorry man, i dont consider what im doing slumming. Just being practical with a touch of frugalism. We still have a couple date nights a month, we have our "allowance" to spend on whatever. Kids get what they want. Just make sure to follow the monthly budget.

Be smart, have a financial goal, & watch your wealth grow. Its actually pretty addicting watching your wealth/net worth grow each month. You hit a million dollar milestone, now you want 2million. Until you finally hit your end goal for easy retirement. Like an rpg, level up max level...Then go fight the end boss with ease.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Wow i didn't know gamecubes worth that much...Kind of regretting opening Smash Bros($520), Sunshine($180), & Wind Waker($320) cuz my son wanted to try it out. He only played Smash less than an hour, same for Wind Waker. He did play Sunshine for a bit, so no regrets. Also opened up Mario Party 6 or 7, just to see what was inside and ruined the box.

Looks like Fire Emblem is the most expensive one i have $350. I think i paid $30 for it at Circuit City.

Thank the people who decided to get into this shit years after nobody cared that much. I think I have two copies of Twilight Princess and I think one of them is still sealed as I never opened it up. I'm too scared to think what that is worth now.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
People have been saying the bubble will pop for 10 years, even in the face of a pandemic it hasn't. Most everything out there is derivative drivel with a "retro" look on it and people are realizing how good the older games hold up, plus we have younger generations making cash now who will be looking for the ps1/2 creamcast etc as that's what they grew up on.
You can collect toys and other objects but most don't have a use - with games you can at least play em.

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
What? You mean to tell me you have toys you don’t play with? Transformers enthusiast still and you bet I still find them very entertaining. Probably why I still get them, I wouldn’t play with G.I. Joes (the cool ones) nor get them. I didn’t even get the He-Man reboot action figures although they looked really nice. Just never liked the sword design, the only flaw but an important one for sure. Back on the subject, yes I do pose my TFs and set them up for battles, it’s fun, love it, can’t get enough gimme some more. The new series Siege has a complete Magnus, pretty slick.

BOT, you’re absolutely right, the bubble ain’t popping any time soon, don’t think it ever will.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
People have been saying the bubble will pop for 10 years, even in the face of a pandemic it hasn't. Most everything out there is derivative drivel with a "retro" look on it and people are realizing how good the older games hold up, plus we have younger generations making cash now who will be looking for the ps1/2 creamcast etc as that's what they grew up on.
You can collect toys and other objects but most don't have a use - with games you can at least play em.

Money is also basically worthless now with a decade of near zero interest rates. Wealthy collectors have more cash than ever. Wealth will keep wildly growing while the supply of working games dwindles.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
people are paying dumb prices now because they fear it will continue to go up .... forever.
It takes forever to sell shit, but that's where I'm at right now. Sell while these fools are buying.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Thing is, I sorta get the mentality. Sure. But you have to think about what *type* of thing you're collecting, if it's for value.

Like a Saturn game. Sure, maybe Panzer Saga and Raidant Silvergun are hard to come by. So I get those being a little pricey (but $500 for PDS? sheeeiiit dawg). But Mr Bones? Astal? Panzer 1? Those aren't rare commodities. At least not yet anyway unless disc rot is starting to affect them. These are common games that were $4 at your local GameTraderShop.

Stuff like Neo AES games I get because of the severe limited quantity. I'd never collect them, because I'm a player, so Im not gonna display them and never play em. And I'm not gonna pay 12k for a Metal Slug AES cart when I can just emulate it, or worst case get a NeoSD and the ROM. But I understand the pricing behind the AES carts and the like.

But shit man, Gamecube games are expensive? Saturn games? PS1 games? It just makes no sense.

I think this is the same situation as Arcade cabs have encountered. Now some uninformed people are making money at their jobs, and for decades they thought having a home Arcade cab was a pipedream because they were so expensive back in the day. But now!? oh shit you can get a PacMan that's beat to shit with water damage for $1200! What a steal!

And that drives up *everything* else on Craigslist, and then ebay/etc.

I think the same thing is happening with these last few generation consoles. Dingdongs are realizing they can get all this "retro game" street cred and start buying up Mr Bones for $70 because its *so hard to find* now.

I guess.. collect what you want. Sure. But its just such a waste of money when it's not really *that* special or hard to find.

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
Collecting video games for value is not for me. Never really cared to look at my stuff that way, it’s money spent on things I don’t intend to part with anyway.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It makes a ton of sense. Everyone from that generation of gaming is now in the midst of their career with way more expendable income. It's why I have a boat load of plastic in my storage.

Once you are into collecting the games that are nostalgic, you start getting into the culture and branching out. Do you know who buys graded NES games? It's certainly not the people here. It's the late 20 year olds that never played the games in the first place. Sure, there are some neckbeards that grade everything. These are the same people that don't have a 401k as well.

History tells us this wont last. Look at any toys from the past decades. There was a spike in 80's toys, and now that market is declining rapidly. Same for Atari. Star Wars figures, GI joes, He-man....they are all on the downward slope. There are occasional spikes based on media, but those toys are not appreciating. Going back further is even more telling. Lone Ranger toys were booming collectibles to our parents.... Now they are almost worthless. Same with Buck Rogers toys.

People then point to comics as an example of continuous appreciation. As a whole, 99.999% of comics are kindling. Don't get suckered by a few outliers.

How many limited editions and collector editions are cranked out now? Better get that LE edition with stickers and a music CD in 2020.... The market is killing itself in that respect.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It makes a ton of sense. Everyone from that generation of gaming is now in the midst of their career with way more expendable income. It's why I have a boat load of plastic in my storage.

Once you are into collecting the games that are nostalgic, you start getting into the culture and branching out. Do you know who buys graded NES games? It's certainly not the people here. It's the late 20 year olds that never played the games in the first place. Sure, there are some neckbeards that grade everything. These are the same people that don't have a 401k as well.

History tells us this wont last. Look at any toys from the past decades. There was a spike in 80's toys, and now that market is declining rapidly. Same for Atari. Star Wars figures, GI joes, He-man....they are all on the downward slope. There are occasional spikes based on media, but those toys are not appreciating. Going back further is even more telling. Lone Ranger toys were booming collectibles to our parents.... Now they are almost worthless. Same with Buck Rogers toys.

People then point to comics as an example of continuous appreciation. As a whole, 99.999% of comics are kindling. Don't get suckered by a few outliers.

How many limited editions and collector editions are cranked out now? Better get that LE edition with stickers and a music CD in 2020.... The market is killing itself in that respect.

Funny you mention Atari, aside from the old farts who still are at it on websites like AtariAge, no one gives a fuck about 2600/7200 games anymore except for the few carts that were always "ra3r!!!" and 10x the price of any regular game (which, like you mentioned, is just people branching out and looking at them as muh INVESTMENT). Eventually the same will happen with all 16 bit console games and earlier. Consoles MIGHT increase on price but people who are interesting in them will have zero attachment to the hardware and will just buy flashcarts.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
exactly. This forum is a good example. Most people here are 40+ year olds that have moved on to flashcarts.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I hate when you do have the inclination to buy an older game on ebay, then see that the lowest price is in the triple digits, and then probably on top of that the shiesty fucker selling it ends up hiding something about the condition, like that it reeks of cigarettes or something