It's Thinking! - 15 years of Sega Dreamcast 9/9/14

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
~lollercast

If it wasn't for the ease of pirating on the system, no one would give a shit nowadays.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Chempop said:
I quit videogames. Then in 2000 a buddy showed me Shenmue, Powerstone, MvC2, and JetGrindRadio. The next I went to the store and bought a DC and I was a goner.
Now we know who to blame...

Hahaha, yup same buddy who brought me to parties in tokyo where I met members from UGA and Hitmaker, took me out to sushi with the guy who made the Decapattack soundtrack, and who opened The Quarters arcade here in Hadley.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
still remember we had a thread about DC clearance and how to pick up systems were MIJ vs. MIC

spoonz

Quiz Detective
My favorite system of all time. Recently found mine while clearing out our stock room and surprisingly it still works. I ended up buying Grandia 2 off of ebay just to play it again (PS2 and PC ports were ass).

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
i currently have 3 dreamcast consoles, one japanese, and 2 US consoles, one US for legit games and oneUS for burn games (the slut) and still plan to pick up more any time i find them cheap.
btw. those innovation boot discs wear out lasers. i have one, and thats what finally pushed me to buy a JP dreamcast, got tired of ruining lasers in US consoles.

This is a common misconception.

Lasers operate at a fixed intensity. Cranking that up (fiddling with the pots to read "bad" CDR's for example) could wear out the laser a little faster. Other than that, it can either read the disc or it can't.

Shitty burns, however, could cause the drive to have to reposition the laser more frequently which could wear out the gears, but not the laser itself.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Did not know this existed:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
This is a common misconception.

Lasers operate at a fixed intensity. Cranking that up (fiddling with the pots to read "bad" CDR's for example) could wear out the laser a little faster. Other than that, it can either read the disc or it can't.

Shitty burns, however, could cause the drive to have to reposition the laser more frequently which could wear out the gears, but not the laser itself.
all i know is hearing the laser jump all up and down the rails at insane speeds using the boot disc versus just putting in a game native to the console's bios in and hearing it move gently, there is a huge difference in the workout the laser sounds like it is getting.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Right, it's putting work on the gears, not the actual laser. Just details really.

There was a project a while back to recreate DC images so the data was "in order" and could be read with less movement by the drive. I wonder whatever happened to that...

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
well... i guess i know what im gonna do with the slut console once the laser is fully shot in it!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Here's hoping they make better versions of the GD-EMU. Kinda sucks you need to load a Codebreaker or a GameShark before you boot up a non NTSC game. I'm going to hold onto my GD-Roms but if they make better versions of this so I can just rip my games onto an SD Card and have it all in my Dreamcast, ready to go then I'm all for it.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i'm a SEGA nerd, born and bred on the Genny back in my childhood.don't have much experience with the DC though, despite that.
me and my parents had completely passed on the console back during it's brief shelf life in the U.S.
and that's about all i ever thought of it until just a few years back, when i decided to jump
on a black SEGA SPORTS DC bundle at my local GOODWILL for around $40.

my sister got a U.S. copy of CAPCOM vs. SNK off the net for it, and, for whatever reason, it will not work on the DC i have.
the crap games that the bundle included work just fine, but this U.S. version of CAP/SNK it just won't recognize.

DC just hasn't been a priority for me, and that lone console just hasn't seen any love since i got it.
i've been considering a JPN DC off and on, -since the JPN only DC games seem far more to my general taste-
and if i ever do get around to that, "COMIC PARTY" will likely be my first DC acquisition,
what with the game's brief Anime series being one of my favorites and all...

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
i'm a SEGA nerd, born and bred on the Genny back in my childhood.don't have much experience with the DC though, despite that.
me and my parents had completely passed on the console back during it's brief shelf life in the U.S.
and that's about all i ever thought of it until just a few years back, when i decided to jump
on a black SEGA SPORTS DC bundle at my local GOODWILL for around $40.

my sister got a U.S. copy of CAPCOM vs. SNK off the net for it, and, for whatever reason, it will not work on the DC i have.
the crap games that the bundle included work just fine, but this U.S. version of CAP/SNK it just won't recognize.

DC just hasn't been a priority for me, and that lone console just hasn't seen any love since i got it.
i've been considering a JPN DC off and on, -since the JPN only DC games seem far more to my general taste-
and if i ever do get around to that, "COMIC PARTY" will likely be my first DC acquisition,
what with the game's brief Anime series being one of my favorites and all...

Just wondering, what "crap games" did you get in the bundle?

You can always burn a Utopia boot disc so you can play JPN region games on NA systems.

From what I heard about Comic Party, it seems to be a visual novel. Can you read Japanese or do you know where a translation guide for this game is?

The JPN version of CVS1 is pretty cheap last time I checked.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
One of my favorite finds game hunting was finding a Sega Sports edition DC at a flea market for about $5. I wanted one but always read they were hard to find, so I was stoked for that.

srsly? :scratch: they were a dime a dozen where I came from. Even after it's death, I've always been able to find those more easily than regular old white ones.

~lollercast

I've been waiting for this :lolz:

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If I could only keep one console it would be a Dreamcast. The last console I bought for the library and not just a specific game.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Just wondering, what "crap games" did you get in the bundle?

You can always burn a Utopia boot disc so you can play JPN region games on NA systems.

From what I heard about Comic Party, it seems to be a visual novel. Can you read Japanese or do you know where a translation guide for this game is?

The JPN version of CVS1 is pretty cheap last time I checked.

Utopia is a poor boot disc as it doesn't always play each game. Burn a copy of the game shark iso onto a disc usingtdisc juggler for better compatibility.

There was a project a while back to recreate DC images so the data was "in order" and could be read with less movement by the drive. I wonder whatever happened to that...

There are a couple: DCRes and ReviveDC

In addition to having the files reordered for less laser movement, most releases from these groups have been modified for VGA box compatibility and they are all self-booting.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Right, it's putting work on the gears, not the actual laser. Just details really.

most likely died with underground-gamer.

I've used SD card mods on DC's before, and they are usually buggy as hell. Maybe they are better now, but I was better off using my CD spindle of games from college.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
attachment.php

Awesome!

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I'll cheers to the Dreamcast birthday threads every year, like many others have said, it's my favorite system as well.

I've actually been playing Hydro Thunder daily for the last week because my kids have fallen in love with it, so we play for a little bit every night after dinner.

I never would have imagined 15 years ago that I'd be playing my DC with my kids one day.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
Utopia is a poor boot disc as it doesn't always play each game. Burn a copy of the game shark iso onto a disc usingtdisc juggler for better compatibility.

or just get yourself a JPN DC to accompany your U.S. model, and be quite flat out done with the dilemma.

i'd have long since done that by now, but, like i might have suggested in the tone of my last post,
i've far, far too many irons in the fire, and far, far too little disposable income on a monthly basis
to even seriously think of attempting to build yet another game library for yet another vintage platform.
hell, i have yet to get myself a PC Engine/TG-16, and i REALLY feel i've been missing out big time with that system already.

if i won the lottery or something, i'm certain i'd go instantly bat-shit crazy all over the place building up
a vintage VG collection to rival many if not most others, but, meanwhile back on planet earth, i've little enough bread
to take care of my top priorities on a monthly basis, so... life just sucks that way sometimes, y'know?

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Everyone in this thread that likes the Dreamcast also likes the cock...in their ass.

Such a crappy system with only a couple redeeming games.

It's like Sega's N64.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Broken, you are free to get the fuck out of here if you don't like it. If you rather humor us and state the reasons why you think it's such a crappy system then go for it, otherwise I don't see any use for you to keep trying to troll in order to get a rise out of anyone here.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Everyone in this thread that likes the Dreamcast also likes the cock...in their ass.

Such a crappy system with only a couple redeeming games.

It's like Sega's N64.

I don't think I'd go that far. Chill