James Earl Jones Reads the Bible

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fuck yeah....

James Earl Jones reading the bible would make it worth listening to.

aria

Former Moderator
He should read the instructions to Metroid.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What a great character, that macho man. No wonder the japs love american wrestlers.

Gigaton Chode

Zero's Tailor
I'd rather have Thulsa Doom preach to me about Snake Cult nonsense about Set and the power of flesh or whatever. It'd be a lot more interesting than the bible, especially those parts with "x was the son of y and lived m years long, z was the son of y and lived (m0.950) years long"

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I'd rather have Thulsa Doom preach to me about Snake Cult nonsense about Set and the power of flesh or whatever. It'd be a lot more interesting than the bible, especially those parts with "x was the son of y and lived m years long, z was the son of y and lived (m0.950) years long"

That's the funniest part of the bible.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The best part was when doubting Thomas was all 'Sheee-it, man...'

Feel bad for that guy. He was a dissenting voice and he was embarassed by his peers for not conforming.

GREAT MESSAGE, JESUS.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I have this. It's awesome. What's really killer is that he says the Book and chapter of the Bible before starts each one. I kept rewinding when he got to Luke.

"LUKE.....Chapter 2." "LUKE....Chapter 2." "LUKE.....Chapter 2."

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I have this. It's awesome. What's really killer is that he says the Book and chapter of the Bible before starts each one. I kept rewinding when he got to Luke.

"LUKE.....Chapter 2." "LUKE....Chapter 2." "LUKE.....Chapter 2."

:lolz:

Nonsequitor: Speaking of books on audio, I recently obtained the first two books of the Elric series in unabridged format, with forwards read by Michael Moorcock himself. Looking forward to that. Also snagged ALL of Hawkmoon and Castle Brass, as well as The Dreamthief's Daughter.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
:lolz:

Nonsequitor: Speaking of books on audio, I recently obtained the first two books of the Elric series in unabridged format, with forwards read by Michael Moorcock himself. Looking forward to that. Also snagged ALL of Hawkmoon and Castle Brass, as well as The Dreamthief's Daughter.
Could you do me a favor and after you listen to Elric, come on here and give us the author's official pronunciation for "Melnibone"? That has been driving me nuts for almost 30 years. I've heard people say it all different ways and I want an official ruling.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Could you do me a favor and after you listen to Elric, come on here and give us the author's official pronunciation for "Melnibone"? That has been driving me nuts for almost 30 years. I've heard people say it all different ways and I want an official ruling.

I already heard the person reading the book say it. It's pronounced:

mel-NIH-bone-A

Emphasis on the capitalized parts, obviously.

'mel' as in 'Mel Gibson.'

I didn't know how to type the 'NIH' part (I don't write dictionaries) but it sounds like the firest two letters of the name 'Nimrod.'

'bone' as in 't-bone steak.'

'A' as in 'the letter A.'

I haven't heard Moorcock pronounce it yet, but I figure it should be consistent with his pronunciations. If it ends up differing, I'll let ya know.

EDIT: If you think about it, it's kinda cool that forty plus years after it was written, we still weren't sure of the pronunciation of a city in a fantasy classic.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That's pretty much how I've been pronouncing it, but with the ni maybe a little more NEE than NIH.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'd never heard Moorcock's voice before listening to him read the foreward. Wierd. He's one of my three favorite authors of all time (Howard, Moorcock, Leiber) and I never thought to watch a vid of him on Youtube just to hear his voice.

That makes me realize that as an author, I guess his voice never really mattered to me. I always sort of 'saw' his voice as being on the page, disembodied and separate from the speaker. Just goes to show you we come from a different age, when an author's voice wasn't as just a mouse click and a curious impulse away.

It didn't matter then. It doesn't matter now. Just another example of how amazing/bloated the convenience of information exchange in the modern era is.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
No idea, but I did stumble upon this a while ago:
"Macho Man" Randy Savage Reads the Qur'an

Now that takes me back. I always thought Jesse Ventura had a terrific voice for this sort of thing; excellent diction, booming voice, over-the-top seriousness (and, ironically, pretty terrible grammar). I just re-watched some old PPVs the other day and his constant discourse with Monsoon is priceless.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I was serious by the way. Anyone know where I can download me a copy?

"Macho Man" Butta Supremo

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
Last edited:

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Fuck yeah....

James Earl Jones reading the bible would make it worth listening to.

No lie, I could actually see myself listening to this on the regular if I wanted to get back in The Good Word. Sure would beat the monotony of regular church.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
You know what would be 10x more awesome?

Woody Allen reading Mein Kampf.