James Rolfe (Angry Video Game Nerd) Plays King of the Monsters 2

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeah.. he's funny but it's kind of a noob.

That guy mike knows his stuff but is annoying as fuck.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
guy has blown into a million nes carts but still fails to clean up contacts on neo geo cart :)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I still enjoyed watching, was kind of refreshing to see two guys try to play a Neo Geo with far less knowledge of it. They put things into a more innocent perspective. Neo Geo is that awesome and expensive console that literally was just like the arcade. :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I had watched this vid last week, and the best quote is.. "Everyone wanted me to do a AVGN about the NEO, but the games just don't suck as bad as the others I do", this is paraphrased btw, it's been a bit since I watched it.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I had watched this vid last week, and the best quote is.. "Everyone wanted me to do a AVGN about the NEO, but the games just don't suck as bad as the others I do", this is paraphrased btw, it's been a bit since I watched it.

Guess he never played LOSJ.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I think the problem is he plays on real hardware and LOSJ is pretty damn expensive for what it is.

Now if he wants to play mediocrity, try Riding Hero or the Super Spy. Those are reasonably cheap. I get the feeling he won't bother touching the Neo further than this video. Oh well, at least he did something.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
well, I´m sure he will review losj as long as someone donates him the cart. I´m looking at you 8man ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the problem is he plays on real hardware and LOSJ is pretty damn expensive for what it is.

Now if he wants to play mediocrity, try Riding Hero or the Super Spy. Those are reasonably cheap. I get the feeling he won't bother touching the Neo further than this video. Oh well, at least he did something.

Hey, Super Spy is a great game.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hey, Super Spy is a great game.

I really dig the game too. Really unique even for a console title. The only other game like it that I can think of is that SFC game....what was it called? Shien something or another. Same perspective but you were a ninja. Super Spy is a game I'll always keep.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Shien's Revenge. I thought Crossed Swords was the same sort of game as Super Spy, is it not?

I'll give Super Spy a try sometime, maybe it's worth getting on AES for $50.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's not loved by all but there is a following for it. I always wished they made a sequel for it. I wonder what NGDEV team can do on the Neo for a first person shooter?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Somebody donated Super Spy to FunSpot in Keith Apicary's MVS and I play it every time I go up there and it's just not for me. When I met James and Mike the first time at Digital Press I told him about the cart that will let you play MVS games on the AES and they didn't really understand what I was talking about but they still seemed interested because they wanted to see more of the system. But I agree I would love to see him play LOSJ or Magician Lord for the sheer Ninja Gaiden style difficulty.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Magician Lord on the mvs is much easier than the homecart version, because there is no check point system except on moving platforms.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Oh hey, we're talking about The Super Spy? I wrote a lot of stuff about The Super Spy.

Hell, I think The Super Spy could be a decent AVGN episode (even though he barely does those nowadays). Plenty of Engrish and other weird things going on, and many jokes can be made about how repetitive it gets. There's more to talk about with that game than there is with something like Legend of Success Joe (maybe)

I never thought you knew the game existed BBH, you gave no indication.:smirk:

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
I still enjoyed watching, was kind of refreshing to see two guys try to play a Neo Geo with far less knowledge of it. They put things into a more innocent perspective. Neo Geo is that awesome and expensive console that literally was just like the arcade. :)

I enjoyed those aspects about the video too. Pretty fun watch.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Somebody donated Super Spy to FunSpot in Keith Apicary's MVS and I play it every time I go up there and it's just not for me. When I met James and Mike the first time at Digital Press I told him about the cart that will let you play MVS games on the AES and they didn't really understand what I was talking about but they still seemed interested because they wanted to see more of the system. But I agree I would love to see him play LOSJ or Magician Lord for the sheer Ninja Gaiden style difficulty.

While James was a nice guy when we met him, his antics are just getting old. Nowadays, pretending to be angry at a video game for the lulz is just outdated. A few nights ago, I saw a video of some dude playing Metal Gear Solid while cursing, spewing slurs, and acting as if it was his first time. It was kind of hard to watch a grown man curse at a game with so much pretend hate.

**edit** James' friend Mike is a tool box for acting like a dickbag at a meet and greet.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
A few nights ago, I saw a video of some dude playing Metal Gear Solid while cursing, spewing slurs, and acting as if it was his first time. It was kind of hard to watch a grown man curse at a game with so much pretend hate.

This one?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
While James was a nice guy when we met him, his antics are just getting old. Nowadays, pretending to be angry at a video game for the lulz is just outdated.

Yeah, he definitely painted himself into a corner with that schtick. Sarcasm & false enthusiasm would held up better in the long term. He'd at least have the opportunity to be witty.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
He's being doing AVGN for 6-7 years now, and over 100 episodes (or was it 50? fuck now I can't recall). It has appropriately run its course and I would be content if he retired the moniker once the film comes out (whenever that is). Most TV shows lose their luster around the same time.

After he did the "making of" episode it too blatantly pointed out the formulaic nature of the show. James and Mike play is pretty alright, and I like Board James too.