Japanese "Gamer" Goes on Killing Spree

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Yesterday a 24-year-old man went on a stabbing spree at a small train station in Tsuchiura, Ibaraki (a little north of Tokyo). He'd already stabbed a man in his neighbourhood, then took a train to Akihabara, then went back up to Tsuchiura and started stabbing people at random at a train station.

Right now it's on the morning news, and they're playing up on the Akihabara / gaming angle. Not so much as "games and gamers are violent", but more along the lines of "gamers and Akihabara are weird". (Which is true, in a way.)

All in all, it's an unfortunate loss of human life. I feel sorry for the victims and their families.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20080324a1.html

MITO, Ibaraki Pref. (Kyodo) A man wanted by police for murder went on a stabbing spree outside a shopping mall in Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture, on Sunday, killing one man and injuring seven other people, police said.

Ibaraki Prefectural Police arrested Masahiro Kanagawa, 24, near the scene shortly after the attack. Kanagawa had been placed on the wanted list Friday on suspicion of fatally stabbing 72-year-old Tsuchiura resident Yoshikazu Miura on Wednesday. Kanagawa was initially arrested on suspicion of murdering Miura.

The police said they will pursue charges of murder and attempted murder in connection with the eight stabbings, which took place in the area around JR Arakawaoki Station on the Joban Line.

Among the victims of Sunday's rampage was 27-year-old Takahiro Yamakami of Ami, who died after being taken to a hospital.

The other seven include a 62-year-old woman and an 18-year-old male student who were seriously wounded, and three other men and a woman between 16 and 60, including a 29-year-old police officer from Tsuchiura police station, whose wounds are not life-threatening.

The police received a call about the stabbing spree at around 11 a.m. and another one from Kanagawa himself, who was calling from an unmanned police box.

"I did it," he told them.

Officers overpowered Kanagawa in front of the police box, which is about 200 meters from the train station. He was armed with a kitchen knife and a survival knife.

The suspect told investigators after his arrest that he "wanted to kill people," and that he didn't care who they were.

The rampage took place even though eight police officers had been posted around the station following Wednesday's murder, the police said, expressing regret for failing to prevent the attack.

According to police and witnesses, Kanagawa stabbed five people near the station's ticket gate while walking from the west exit to the east exit, which leads to a narrow corridor to the mall. He then attacked two more on the path before fatally stabbing Yamakami just outside the entrance.

"I saw a young man collapsed, with a pool of blood around his head," said the manager of a nearby cell phone shop "I can't believe this is happening in such a quiet town," he said.

A female employee at a nearby beauty salon said: "Four or five ambulances were here. I don't know what's going on here."

In Wednesday's slaying, Miura was allegedly stabbed once in the neck in front his house and died later in a hospital, the police said.

The police put Kanagawa on the wanted list Friday after discovering his bicycle at the crime scene and traces of Miura's blood on clothes seized from his home.

Police described Kanagawa as an lonely, unemployed man who likes games and is not good at communicating with others. The day after he was put on the wanted list, Kanagawa made a trip to Tokyo's electronics and game mecca of Akihabara, police said.

He lives with his parents, two sisters and a brother in Tsuchiura, they said. One of his schoolmates said Kanagawa didn't have many friends and did not go out very often and would suddenly get angry after losing games.

He worked at a local convenience store sometimes, but didn't have many other jobs, he said.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
What is with all these Japanese stabbings? Everyone else shoots people. All Japanese people do is stab people.

What a great defense of gun-control legislation.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Sounds like a Toorima, but with the gamer/Akihabara angle.

Coverage is no more hysteric than our coverage of school rampage though.

I trust there will be the same incisive academic dissection of this and other similar stabbings, and hope that politicians will refrain from introducing dubious legislation, like the lowering of age threshold of murder to 14 after that Kobe youth beheaded several school aged children.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
VanillaThunder said:
What is with all these Japanese stabbings? Everyone else shoots people. All Japanese people do is stab people.

What a great defense of gun-control legislation.

This should help bolster your argument:

2173442_2.jpg

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Its strange people would do something so stupid to ruin their life and the lives of others.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
this is what happens when you remove HUNTING/GATHERING from our everyday.
the mind gets bored; goes nuts.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Kid Aphex said:
this is what happens when you remove HUNTING/GATHERING from our everyday.
the mind gets bored; goes nuts.

There's a joke here that I'm not in on.

Is this [HUNTING/GATHERING] what one does in WoW upon reaching Level 60 Mage?:conf:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Neo Geo MVS said:
Its strange people would do something so stupid to ruin their life and the lives of others.

Not really, its part of evolutions path to gain a high point in stimulus, having a connection to the world is probably the most important thing in life. And without it, we naturally seek extreme forms of stimulus to balance out the imbalance accumulated by negative thoughts which suppress the rules in which evolution is founded on. This is more or less expected in places where there is a large empathise on suppressive nature in society.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's funny..

Yesterday, I saw the following headline on cnn "Man wanted for murder stabs 8 in train station". I just figured that it was in Milwaukee or some shit.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
wizkid007 said:
Not really, its part of evolutions path to gain a high point in stimulus, having a connection to the world is probably the most important thing in life. And without it, we naturally seek extreme forms of stimulus to balance out the imbalance accumulated by negative thoughts which suppress the rules in which evolution is founded on. This is more or less expected in places where there is a large empathise on suppressive nature in society.

what?

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
wizkid007 said:

Err no, Wizzy, in reality evolution is based on... oh bugger it. I don't wanna argue, especially in a thread about this particular incident.

I know evolution is one of your pet interests, so I recommend you check out Richard Dawkins' "The Blind Watchmaker". It's a good read, I just finished it. It's written for the layman, with no excessive scientific jargon and lots of clear examples, and Dawkins does a good job of summarizing his cumulative argument at the beginning and end of each chapter. Of course it's very linear, as alas most "books" are, but I think you'd probably enjoy it anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blind_Watchmaker

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
wizkid007 said:

How did I know you would post something like this?

Oh well, at least you're consistent. Sort of.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Gah, I take that train almost every week.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
wayans%20pic.thumbnail.jpg

aria

Former Moderator
Crazy, I actually credit the Japan Times for only mentioning it was a hobby without blaming it --rather noting that he would go apeshit if he lost games (which usually is a bad sign in sports, chess or video games). Reminds me of that video of the kid going completely fuckwit crazy when he loses at Halo --Or should I say extra crazy.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
None of those people used martial arts on his ass? I thought everyone in Japan knew that shit...

And better it's a knife, with a gun he might have killed 20 people.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Jesus. I keep hearing about these things. Last time I was in Tokyo and walking in public with my daughter I was petrified some wackjob with a boxcutter was going to attack us. Try "keeping an eye" on everyone when there's a million fucking people around you.

Just when I started feeling okay again, I got into an altercation with a shoplifter. The whole time, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking this guy is going to stab the fuck out of me.. :(

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Err no, Wizzy, in reality evolution is based on... oh bugger it. I don't wanna argue, especially in a thread about this particular incident.

I know evolution is one of your pet interests, so I recommend you check out Richard Dawkins' "The Blind Watchmaker". It's a good read, I just finished it. It's written for the layman, with no excessive scientific jargon and lots of clear examples, and Dawkins does a good job of summarizing his cumulative argument at the beginning and end of each chapter. Of course it's very linear, as alas most "books" are, but I think you'd probably enjoy it anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blind_Watchmaker

Ive read quite a bit up on evolution, I actually just finished reading.

Evolution: Triumph of an idea. And the more I read about it, the more I come to the conclusion that mutations are actually structured which indicates there is focus behind the madness that everybody thinks is random. aka natural selection, I know this because there are certain mind processes that people go through with disorders, meaning they end up with the same genetic material indicating that it dynamically changed because of their thought process, and not only that, rates are going up indicating that it is self induced. Natural selection is an explanation used because they didnt have a basis to form a consistent structured theory to explain it, and therefore it became the accepted standard. Sure they now have the means to manipulate it, but dont understand the structure behind it. The structure actually lies in the stimulus itself. (I knew what you were getting it, you didnt need to explain it to me)

At the cellular level, vibration is a simple form of sex. It’s no coincidence that we attempt to pass on our genetic material at the highest point of stimulus.

What the guy did is the very same function that bulimia nervosa serves, or why truly sad people cut themselves. It’s to give the brain a boost and remove them from their current reality.

I’ll check out your link though.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
That photo won the Pulitzer prize, I saw it several years ago. Most of the winners are, unsurprisingly, amazing.

GaijinPunch

Kabuki Klasher
Japanese media isn't really pounding the gaming angle. My wife just told me the report she saw said he had two mobile phones, and he was texting himself from phone A to phone B. Now that's special.