Japanese Neo Geo Home (AES) System

searchingtom

NEST Puppet
I have recently purchased a Japanese home system. My first question is about the main power. Does this require a step-down converter to run in the U.S. ??

Any other differences from the U.S. systems that I should know about ??

Thanks,

searchingtom

djbomberman

NAM-75 Vet
I use a step down convertor for my other Japanese systems. I don't think you really need one, I just take that extra precaution just in case. I figure it can't hurt to do it. I know a lot of people who just plug it directly in to the wall. From what I understand it SHOULDN'T hurt the system, but there is always the chance that it could no matter how small it seems.

------------------
29406164.gif

---GROOVY!!!---

I have a jap Dreamcast and PS2 and they run fine with out the step down. My Dreamcast has been okay for 3 years and my PS2 has been running fine for 2 years now.
smile.gif

------------------
"Good times!"
mslugx_endingpics.gif

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
I ALWAYS use stepdown coverters (I have 4 and plan to buy more), but I think it depends on the system. Most of the extra juice sent to the system is dissipated as heat, so it might depend on the ventilation within the system.

Carlson

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
hmmm, i don't use one, maybe i should. i have a japanese homecart system, and I don't think it really ever gets hot. Even when i remove the cart after hours of play, the edge of the cartridge isn't even hot, lukewarm at most. Damn, Neo is too cool!

------------------
-=NeoGML=-

I

Iori

Question, I'm going to Japan in August. Will my US AES work over there?

------------------
vicecharge.gif

fetch.dll

Hey Carlson, which stepdown do you use, and where did you purchase it? I have a couple cheap ones but I don't trust them. I almost feel better not using one.

Brent

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 16-bit:
I ALWAYS use stepdown coverters (I have 4 and plan to buy more), but I think it depends on the system. Most of the extra juice sent to the system is dissipated as heat, so it might depend on the ventilation within the system.

Carlson

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If your Neo were to have a problem with the US house current, it'd damage the power supply and not the system itself. As long as the console's getting its 5 volts or whatever, it's happy.

I'm inclined to think that stepdowns are a waste of money (and more importantly, space) when dealing with small appliances like consoles. But I guess if you're into that sort of thing, they can function quite well as security blankets
smile.gif

As for me, I've been running all my Japanese systems on what Ontario Hydro provides for years, and none of them have conked out. A couple of my US systems have, though
frown.gif

- Matt

S

Silent_Scope

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joe McCabe:
I have a jap Dreamcast and PS2 and they run fine with out the step down. My Dreamcast has been okay for 3 years and my PS2 has been running fine for 2 years now.
smile.gif

PS 2 came out last March so how can you have it for 2 years? DC is only about 2 1/2 years....

Acutally you dont' need any power down convertor. Never, and never plug any system to the wall directly. Use power surge protector or buy USP power system so it'll not harm your system for sure.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
USP power system
--------------------

I recommend a UPS very highly.
If you keep your consoles for many years, then one of these will pretty much insure you never have a power problem. I just buy a good one & hook all my consoles & TV, VCR, etc into it.

------------------

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
One thing is for sure, they arent cheap. How long have you had yours nick, whats the standard life on the units?

------------------
"I read your moves like the funny papers"

N-T-M

S

Silent_Scope

your Neo will have no problem if use in Japan. No need to worry.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"