Jim Kelly aka Williams aka Black Belt Jones has passed

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
BAHHHHH.. that movie was perfect.

Bruce and Jim (RIP guys) were too awesome for their own good

Saxon just looked totally unnecessary in comparison to those two

not his fault really, but his character could have just as easily not been in the film at all

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
RIP Buddy

You come right out of a comic book

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Were you expecting me to say some part with Bruce?

I already know everything Bruce is going to do in that movie. It's cool, don't get me wrong, and Bruce Lee is and always will be the man, but he doesn't do anything in ETD that he doesn't do in the other movies. In fact, ETD isn't even my favorite Bruce Lee movie. That would be Return of the Dragon.

So yeah, Williams beating up two cops and driving their stolen police car, with the cherries flashing, to the airport is my favorite scene in the movie.
Not specifically.

There is so much that is awesome about that film I suppose it could have been nearly every scene. Although I like the Williams intro, I suppose it never crossed my mind as being that remarkable. I think, I like so much about ETD that I'd actually struggle to pick out a specific favourite scene. Although, when Roper defeats "Bolo" *Yaaah* and Han orders all his students/guards kill them all followed by the soundtrack spinning up to Bruce Lee kicking the fuck out of everyone ever, is a highlight.

Way of the Dragon (had to look up Return!) is a great film. Has great personality and really showed the lighter side of Lee's tough persona. In fact, pretty much all of Bruce Lee's original HK flicks were good. Fist of Fury being my favourite of those. But ETD will always be my favourite Bruce Lee film on the whole. It's just so good, it's ridiculous.

What's all the hate for Mr Roper btw? Sure, he's not a bonafide Martial Artist like the rest, but he adds a nice slant of diversity and charm to the film imo.

"another fine mess you got me into"

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
What's all the hate for Mr Roper btw? Sure, he's not a bonafide Martial Artist like the rest, but he adds a nice slant of diversity and charm to the film imo.

"another fine mess you got me into"

The hate is because people don't want to see a guy pretending to be a martialist taking up as much screen time as Bruce Lee and other legitimate martial artists. We didn't need a poor man's Sean Connery playing a poor man's James Bond in this flick. We want action, not acting.

That's one of the reasons I like Return (or Way, if you prefer) of the Dragon. It's Bruce Lee taking center stage, with a fight against Chuck Norris as its main attraction.

We all know that John Saxon was put in there to make the movie appealing to white America, but the movie's best parts are when people are fighting. And nobody is better at movie fighting, even to this day, than Bruce Lee.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member

he comes off as a lame James Bond rip-off on top of not being a real martial artist like his co-stars

honestly, he doesn't bother me in the film, but as i aforementioned, if he wasn't in it it wouldn't have made a difference at all

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
he comes off as a lame James Bond rip-off on top of not being a real martial artist like his co-stars

honestly, he doesn't bother me in the film, but as i aforementioned, if he wasn't in it it wouldn't have made a difference at all

His flip off his back and back onto his feet is pretty sweet though. True, in comparison to what everyone else is doing it seems a bit lame but he tries at least, and even as an eight year old before I was even really aware of race I remember thinking that was pretty cool for a white guy, i.e a cumbersome looking fool.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The hate is because people don't want to see a guy pretending to be a martialist taking up as much screen time as Bruce Lee and other legitimate martial artists. We didn't need a poor man's Sean Connery playing a poor man's James Bond in this flick. We want action, not acting.

That's one of the reasons I like Return (or Way, if you prefer) of the Dragon. It's Bruce Lee taking center stage, with a fight against Chuck Norris as its main attraction.

We all know that John Saxon was put in there to make the movie appealing to white America, but the movie's best parts are when people are fighting. And nobody is better at movie fighting, even to this day, than Bruce Lee.

Fair enough. I guess I'd never seen JS in anything before, or even after ETD as a kid and my nostalgia, seemingly, has always overridden the point you make re: Sean Connery etc. I have never taken that perspective before, but I understand what you're getting at.

Also, in total agreement about Bruce Lee. His on screen fighting and his on screen presence in general is just plain, unsurpassed. I doubt it ever will be.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
It's amazing how many people are in ETD, who here hasn't at one time paused to point out Sammo Hung or Jackie Chan to someone?

Also ETD made me hate doves for 4 years, them bastards helped Han Man get the drop on him

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Hard to believe that Malik "Pinky" Carter outlived him.