Jim Varney died?

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Surprised no one has mentioned the Disney Renaissance films, I grew up watching the hell out of them and still like them today, the biggest problem is availability because of the fucking Disney Vault program where they print a limited run and once they're sold out you're fucked for another several years, thank god for torrents

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
YES!!!

Kinda long the same line as Cloak and Dagger:
The Last Starfighter (although, you might dig it more than the little ones)
Flight of the Navigator (Not sure how well this one holds up, but I loved it as a kid)

Twins
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Goonies

Probably too violent for the youngest one, but I LOVED Big Trouble in Little China as a kid.

If they haven't seen Ernest Scared Stupid, that needs to be fixed. Probably his best, although all his movies are great.

Reading the Last Starfighter made me think of Explorers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I loved Darkman, Batman, The Toxic Avenger and T2 when I was that age.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

When I was 8 I watched the hell out of this movie. Even had the toys that used cap strips for the gun sfx. Was rad.

Movies I saw when I was way too young (like under 10 yrs.):

Above The Law
Alien
Aliens
Cyborg
Hard To Kill
Lethal Weapon
Predator
Predator 2
Rob Roy
Terminator
Total Recall
Robocop
Robocop 2

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
What other movies do you guys/gals recommend that are understandable to a 6yo, but not too kiddy for a 13 yo.

If they are into animation, I'd recommend Magic Boy, The King and the Mockingbird and Time Masters. Though the latter may come a bit complicated, the images alone are fascinating enough for young viewers.

I always liked to watch musicals, lots of great stuff there, but I guess that wouldn't do? Still, Marry Poppins, The Sound of Music and Xanadu are excellent. As a kid, also Errol Flynn pirate flicks made a big impression on me, so many classics, so many memories...

Sport films are splendid fun, The Bad News Bears for example or Mr. Baseball.

Classics here in Krautland are definitively all Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movies. A genre of its own ;).

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Trying to remember some stuff me and my sister used to rent and watch back in the day...

Some I haven't seen mentioned.

Time Bandits
Mrs. Doubtfire
Big
Three Ninjas
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Sandlot
Wizards
UHF
Adventures in Babysitting
Beetlejuice
Howard the Duck

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
A couple others they all sem to enjoy are:
Lemony Snickets

I read my kids the entire series of books, All 13 of them, before they we allowed to watch the movie. The liked the books AND the movie, but had their first taste of "They forgot to add (X) in the movie".

A Series of unfortunate events is one of my favorites (but it is not the source of my Screen name ;) )

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
3 Ninjas, then 3 Ninjas: Kick Back

The second one is way better, but the first is still very enjoyable!

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
3 Ninjas, then 3 Ninjas: Kick Back

The second one is way better, but the first is still very enjoyable!

Edit:
I would totally recommend the Chronicles of Prydain to read, some of my favorite books in fact. But the Black Cauldron movie is horrible.

My mom got me into that series when I was a kiddo and I definitely concur! Great series for sure and good for youngins. 'Dat hero's journey.

BTW I've never encountered anyone else that has read that series! Good stuff.

Re-edit: Apparently I fail at editing posts whilst drunk. :scratch:

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Mrs. Doubtfire
Hook. I haven't seen Flubber. did somebody say hook already?-Opathen did.
Narnia stuff?
hobbits and starwars stuffs cept the little girl?
that where the wild things movie?
are there 'clean' jackie chan ones? shanghai nights??? those ben Stiller movies with owen, night at the museum??
horton hears a who. other dr seusss? -old ones
neverending story?

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Edit:

My mom got me into that series when I was a kiddo and I definitely concur! Great series for sure and good for youngins. 'Dat hero's journey.

BTW I've never encountered anyone else that has read that series! Good stuff.

Re-edit: Apparently I fail at editing posts whilst drunk. :scratch:

One drawback is that one might end up comparing every woman they meet with Eilonwy, and finding their similes wanting.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Of all the kids movies i have ever seen as an "adult", nothing has been as good as the aforementioned Spirited Away.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
One drawback is that one might end up comparing every woman they meet with Eilonwy, and finding their similes wanting.
Ain't that the frigging truth. Favorite book series as a kid, still haven't seen the film. Perhaps thats a good thing.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Studio Ghibli! Can't wait for my kids to be old enough to introduce them.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ace Ventura both are awesome but When Nature calls is great...I dunno about the gorilla part or the "oh momma" it could be funny though, mind as well let them have a little dirty fun...
Dumb and Dumber is good too.

Los Tres Caballeros, plenty of funny shit and all kinds of exotic settings. Music is very catchy, prepare to be annoyed, lol.
Sword in the Stone, the art is sick!
I forgot the name of the movie with the flying bed but the best part is this futbol (soccer) game with all the animals, it's awesome!
Robin Hood
Fantasia

Willow...maybe too violent? I dunno...
Clash of the Titans the original of course, I dunno maybe too violent but the effects are so old it hardly looks real even for kids.
Legend
Dark Crystal

I dunno, I watch a lot of crazy shit when I was a kid. Excalibur when I was 6, Ben Hur even younger than that, so I'm not all too keen on keeping it all sweet ponies for kids, kids can take it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I watched the shit out of that show when I was a kid.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
He was asking about the name of the movie, not what you do with your weekends.

I thought we agreed never to speak of that again; I recall you swore to the ER nurse never to try that again.

However, that is in fact the name of the movie.
61EY6NRB1oL.jpg