Joystick advice needed - please help!

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
OK,

I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting two neo-style sticks from massystems.com in the near future (6 button Neo Geo version), and I know what type of buttons and everything else that I want, but I can't seem to decide on the joystick.

Could somebody give me a brief rundown of the advantages/disadvantages of the competition, standard ultimate (hard and soft), and perfect optical joysticks???

Thanks in advance,
--galfordo

Catman

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hmm, that's a tough one... at least for me to answer.
I have a MAS stick that I converted to Neo and I like it fine, it's an older one and seems to be like a regular arcade stick. I know he has those 360 ones available as well and are a little more, perhaps someone here can ellaborate on that for you.

Some members here also make there own sticks using Happ parts and are usually very pleased with the results.

Good luck.

Hide

Banned
How many times must I repeat this...

The OLD STYLE stick is good enough!

:buttrock:

I dig anything with Jap Style Sticks and Convex Buttons.

Just IMO.

Those mas sticks are good to have though.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Hide said:
How many times must I repeat this...

The OLD STYLE stick is good enough!

:buttrock:

I dig anything with Jap Style Sticks and Convex Buttons.

Just IMO.

Those mas sticks are good to have though.

Yeah, I like the old style sticks too, but I just thought I'd get couple of mas sticks to go with my consolized unit - you know, to get the whole "true arcade" experience and everything.

So, can anyone comment on competition vs. ultimate vs. perfect 360 optical joysticks? :help:

Yeti 0f Doom

Rugal's Thug
Ultimates are downright horrible. Get the P360's if you have the money, otherwise get the Comps. Great sticks they still are!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
No Supers..?

(IMO)..Having "Supers"in two cabs and one in that Xbox converted to use on AES Arcade stick....I like Supers...I prefer the original MVS type over anything..

The New Supers in the Neo Gold are sweet!!
I do like the original thick chrome shaft Supers I have in the big red better though..(they are still fairly new)

I was just playing KOF 02 in the Big red..the sticks are so damn smooth I can pull off any move....Freaken great sticks..

I don't like Comps that I have in the Tekken 3..they suck...

I also don't like Ultimates but I think they may be slightly better than Comps.

I've never tried 360s

Last edited:

Nja4k

n00b
what are your thoughts on the jstick .. ? i was lookin into picking up a pair of those .. once i got my neo up and running again

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Nja4k said:
what are your thoughts on the jstick .. ? i was lookin into picking up a pair of those .. once i got my neo up and running again

Haven't bought mine yet - I started this thread to get some ideas about the sticks before making a purchase. Just about everybody seems to like 'em though.

SuperGunGuru

Galford's Armourer
I just installed some new comps on my MK2 cab. They feel much more loose than the sticks I replaced., but they are still nice sticks.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Competition is the way to go if you ask me... You shouldn't be disappointed if you get any of the sticks you mention though, that is except the "Ultimate". Every review or comment I have heard about the Ultimate dogs it out. Who know why they named it what they did, maybe it is short for the Ultimate POS. :D

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
Check out the hardware section on shoryuken.com it's a good resource for stick enquiries.

The Ultimate stick is awful, don't bother. It feels very cheap and nasty. The competition is a good stick if you don't want a jap style stick.

The P360's have had mixed reviews. There have been some models with real problems as far as I'm aware. A lot of people don't like the fact that it's quite stiff compared to the other sticks.

Shoryuken.com has loads of members with P360's so it's worth asking the question over there for a definitive reply.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
johnkiddier said:
Check out the hardware section on shoryuken.com it's a good resource for stick enquiries.

The Ultimate stick is awful, don't bother. It feels very cheap and nasty. The competition is a good stick if you don't want a jap style stick.

The P360's have had mixed reviews. There have been some models with real problems as far as I'm aware. A lot of people don't like the fact that it's quite stiff compared to the other sticks.

Shoryuken.com has loads of members with P360's so it's worth asking the question over there for a definitive reply.

Cool. I'll do that - thnx, man.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I have used all three and I rate them like this:

1.) Competition - The greatest stick I've ever used. I have these in my cab and in my mass. I like the solid, quality feel of the joystick, and the base

2.) Ultimate - They are fairly similar to the Comps, except the joystick and base is much lighter. Both the Ultimate and the Comp use different versions of the square actuator. I like these sticks, but they don't feel as sturdy as the Comps.

3.) Super - Great all around stick, but I think they feel kind of clumsy. It uses a more ball like grip, as opposed to the Ultimate, and Comps more tear drop handle. This stick uses a round actuator with metal bar actuated cherry switches.

4.) P360 - I have never had the opportunity to use them, but I have read many mixed reviews. That alone would nudge me away from paying the extra $20 per stick. However, if you add in the extra wiring necessary, the extra space needed for the expanded base, and the fact that the comps are for the most part rated higher, then I never had much interest in trying them.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Halox said:
I have used all three and I rate them like this:

1.) Competition - The greatest stick I've ever used. I have these in my cab and in my mass. I like the solid, quality feel of the joystick, and the base

2.) Ultimate - They are fairly similar to the Comps, except the joystick and base is much lighter. Both the Ultimate and the Comp use different versions of the square actuator. I like these sticks, but they don't feel as sturdy as the Comps.

3.) Super - Great all around stick, but I think they feel kind of clumsy. It uses a more ball like grip, as opposed to the Ultimate, and Comps more tear drop handle. This stick uses a round actuator with metal bar actuated cherry switches.

4.) P360 - I have never had the opportunity to use them, but I have read many mixed reviews. That alone would nudge me away from paying the extra $20 per stick. However, if you add in the extra wiring necessary, the extra space needed for the expanded base, and the fact that the comps are for the most part rated higher, then I never had much interest in trying them.

Thanks for your advice Halox - very helpful. I'm now leaning toward the comp sticks.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I personally like HAPP Super 8-Ways (AKA Supers). They're pretty good for all games (I'd hate having a stick that's made for fighters and use it for puzzlers and have it feel weird). I have them in my cabinet and they work very well for all games I've used them with (fighters, MD3, Metal Slug, NTM, etc). JHendrix recommended them to me back when I first was getting the cabinet and I couldn't be happier with them. It uses a round actuator with the microswitches with the little lever on it (I think they're called "activated microswitches" but I'm not sure). I might add that the stick has a bit of a long shaft on it before the "teardrop" and they're not "bat-style" like most normal sticks (which are almost all grip and little shaft); another factor in getting them was that I liked that this setup was kinda like what a candy cab uses (but a candy has a less-thick shaft and a small ball instead of a teardrop).

I've used Competitions in arcades before, they get the job done, but IMO supers are better. Still, it seems that most arcades use Competitions and they certainly are good sticks (some say they excel at fighters because of the square actuator), so for the real arcade feel I'd go with these beefy sticks. They're "Bat-style" and that's what a lot of cabinets have.

I think I've used 360s (at the Stargate, I need to ask the owner), and they're nice, but IMO I like hearing the clicks of microswitches to know I'm doing something, know what I mean? These are "shaft and teardrop" style.

As for Ultimates, when I got my cab it had ultimates in it, and they were JUNKED. That says something about their quality. I've used it in arcades I think (well that or a Competition in bad condition), and they're BARELY passable. You can do better; I'd even be hesitant to take them for free. They're "bat-style".

As for buttons, well I personally have convex buttons in my cab (I _think_ they're Competition buttons) because I originally wanted to use candycab style buttons but couldn't (they're convex too), and they're great buttons. The concave style buttons (Ultimates, I think, but I'm not sure) are good too. The concave buttons allow for a better grip of your fingers on the button (it kinda traps them), and if you're going for the "true arcade feel" then I'd get the concave buttons because that's what most arcade cabinets use. But convex buttons are still good, and I personally can use either no problem.

For sticks, I'd personally go with a HAPP Super 8-Way, with convex buttons, but that's just my opinion. Since you want the real arcade feeling, then you should probably get Competition sticks with concave buttons.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
I think I've used 360s (at the Stargate, I need to ask the owner), and they're nice, but IMO I like hearing the clicks of microswitches to know I'm doing something, know what I mean? These are "shaft and teardrop" style.

Yeah, I like the microswitch click myself. I think I'm over the whole optical switch hype.

DanAdamKOF said:
Since you want the real arcade feeling, then you should probably get Competition sticks with concave buttons.

Yeah, I think that this will be the best route for me. Thanks for the advice Dan, much appreciated.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've used 'em all....

Competitions are the ONLY way to go. Ultimates are tolerable, but they seem to be made a bit cheaply and sometimes the joystick itself is a little off center by a few millimeters. 360 opticals are just plain fucking awful, they feel really odd and seem the least precise. Plus, the opticals have a circular base cavity unlike the square base cavity that's inside the standard AES/MVS joysticks.

Go for competition.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
If you can find a PS2 controller converter for the Neo Geo (on Ebay), you can an X-Arcade with a PS2 adapter, which is just like playing in the arcade, and it's the best arcade joystick that I've ever used. I never used the MAS sticks, but, I recommend the X-Arcade because you use it for multiple systems.