Just nailed an interview so I'm moving to China

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Lesson plan?? What on earth for?? Teaching English abroad is a monkey's job. Just land and teach whatever book they put in your hands. It's not rocket science.
For once, I have to agee with the monkey.

They'll give you a little orientation, probably have you sit in on someone else's lesson once or twice, and at that point, someone like you (talking to 'stage, here) who can think on your feet will be perfectly fine. Plus, you don't seem shy in front of other people, judging by the way you were molesting Wasabi in that video...and that would have been the only other potential hurdle. So I imagine you'll have zero problem with this.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Congrats and well-wishes Sage! I hope you learn a lot about Chinese culture and about yourself on this adventure.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
For once, I have to agee with the monkey.

They'll give you a little orientation, probably have you sit in on someone else's lesson once or twice, and at that point, someone like you (talking to 'stage, here) who can think on your feet will be perfectly fine. Plus, you don't seem shy in front of other people, judging by the way you were molesting Wasabi in that video...and that would have been the only other potential hurdle. So I imagine you'll have zero problem with this.
Aw come on, we're cool right, STK? Anyway, if you ever have to interview for another school in the future, the only trick is to be very energetic, friendly, and quick on your feet. The main quality most schools look for in a foreigner is likability. If the students like you, it doesn't matter how shitty your teaching is, you will be liked by the school. So remember to be that way when you get to the school. Just don't overdo it.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Here's some more advice from someone who's been living abroad for 17 years now:

-try to make some local friends *who are not co-workers or students*. Doing so has several advantages: you'll be able to have a life outside of your job; you can learn more about the city you're in; you'll learn about Chinese culture; you'll have people you can complain to about work etc.

-try to make Chinese friends, and don't just hang around the local ex-pats: you'll pick up the language more quickly; you'll become more independent; you'll learn more about the local city and culture; you won't develop the "us and them" ex-pat syndrome

-the best way I've found to meet people is to go out for a walk in the early evening, find a local bar that looks safe and interesting, and become a regular there. Alcohol is a great social lubricant, and can work wonders to overcome the language barrier. Again, avoid ex-pat bars, as all you will hear about from the drunk and bitter foreigners is how terrible China is etc.

-here's a list of 120 survival words and phrases that any traveller should know when abroad. Learning how to say these things in Chinese before you go will make your life much easier and more enjoyable. The list is in a scholarly article, but you don't have to read the whole thing to be able to use the list:

http://www.victoria.ac.nz/lals/staff/Publications/paul-nation/1991-Crabbe-Survival-vocabulary.pdf

-Chinese pronunciation can be very, very, very difficult for English speakers, so it might be a good thing to try and find someone Chinese to practice with before you go. You might want to try an ad on Craigslist, or a local university to see if you can find a tutor. Heck, you could even try Craigslist Beijing to see if you can find a Skype "penpal" who wants to trade English for Chinese practice

-always carry a pocket sized notebook and a pen. This works well for drawings when gestures fail. The Chinese word for "toilet" is notoriously hard to pronounce, so I just drew a picture of it in my notebook, and would point to that when I wanted to ask someone where the restroom was. A notebook is also a great way to jot down new phrases, phone numbers etc. A real life traveller's notebook is like the fictional traveller's towel in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Don't leave home without it

-be aware of culture shock, homesickness, and culture clash because the culture shock *will* happen to you at some point. Do some background Googling and reading before you go

-*don't* listen to the monkey. He's an idiot who doesn't know shit from Shinola. Teaching a language, especially teaching a language well, is hard work. I'd also do some background Googling and reading on "EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teaching in China". I've heard of problems arising when Chinese students who expect the teacher to lecture, and foreign teachers who expect the students to talk to each other. Granted this is at Chinese universities, and not at a conversation school, but still, you should always know your audience

-two books on teaching and learning English that you might want to check out are H.D. Brown's "Teaching by Principles" and Lightbown and Spada's "How Languages are Learned". Even if you're only planning on staying for a year, and not making a career out of teaching, these books offer lots of valuable insight and advice and may save you much grief. (The Lightbown and Spada book is a very interesting read on its own)

-conversely, English conversation schools tend to involve a lot of sales and salesmanship, sometimes with even more stress on these skills than on teaching skills. Be prepared to be the "salesman" sometimes, as part of your job duties. Sometimes the sales will come at the expense of teaching well. You have to learn how to balance the two

Some of this stuff may seem like a pain-in-the-ass to do, or over-preparation, but you're moving halfway across the world to place your health and well-being in the hands of an employer from a completely different culture that you haven't even met yet.

Ask yourself "What would Indiana Jones do?" in this situation. You'd better believe he'd be putting the "prepare" into "Preparation H". It's your film: which one do you want it to be? "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Hostel"?

If you ever have any questions, feel free to hit me up on PM.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
-*don't* listen to the monkey. He's an idiot who doesn't know shit from Shinola. Teaching a language, especially teaching a language well, is hard work. I'd also do some background Googling and reading on "EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teaching in China". I've heard of problems arising when Chinese students who expect the teacher to lecture, and foreign teachers who expect the students to talk to each other. Granted this is at Chinese universities, and not at a conversation school, but still, you should always know your audience
I don't mean to be overly cynical, tsukaesugi. I agree with most of what you wrote, especially about avoiding the "expat syndrome." Since becoming part of a Korean family I really get to experience the country from an native's perspective, and it's sad that a lot of foreigners miss out on that.

However, I think it is healthy to have a realistic idea about the job you do. The fact is anyone with a college degree and no specific relevant experience can find a teaching job in China or Korea, although it is getting slightly more difficult these days. Definitely work in Asia for the experience, but unless you're planning to be a career teacher, don't look at it as anymore than a means to an end. You basically get a working vacation for as long as you want abroad. A lot of the people who do it are recent graduate idiots with very little life experience. I got a teaching certificate last year, which basically counts for nothing. Like most teachers here, I definitely don't want to make a lifelong career in teaching. I'll save money for my family now, and then I'm on to the next chapter.

Most of the jobs in Korea are at for-profit private schools, so caring about teaching is going to be more of a burden than an asset at those places. Do your job and don't make trouble for the company if you want to keep it. That's the best advice I can give.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Just thought of this one:

Learn to work a proxy or two, as Chinese authorities have a love/hate relationship with the internet. When I was there, every Google service except the search and Gmail was blocked. This meant Google Docs and Blogspot, as well as YouTube. Facebook also falls under this too. For some reason, Tumblr makes it through. I'm guessing that Instagram hasn't yet been declared a threat to the party.

pandyra

Mr. Big's Thug
Just thought of this one:

Learn to work a proxy or two, as Chinese authorities have a love/hate relationship with the internet. When I was there, every Google service except the search and Gmail was blocked. This meant Google Docs and Blogspot, as well as YouTube. Facebook also falls under this too. For some reason, Tumblr makes it through. I'm guessing that Instagram hasn't yet been declared a threat to the party.

I've been considering going to school there for a while now, so I did some research a while back. If you haven't already looked into it, here's a link to VPN Resource. It's in Chinese, but there's also the GFW Blog, and right on the first page it has a list of free VPNs you can use. I've heard that the paid VPNs are pretty good, but I don't have any experience with them first-hand.

You'll also need to prepare your computer if you're taking it and want to do anything in Chinese. Windows Vista and 7 already have all the stuff installed if I'm remembering correctly, but Windows XP will need some tinkering to display Chinese properly. There's a languages pack for Office that will give you the fonts to view Chinese websites, but you won't be able to run Chinese programs if you don't have the files installed, even with AppLocale. The option is in the Control Panel under 'Install East Asian language files', but you'll have to get the files from somewhere. Some of the files may already be on XP computers with SP2 or higher in the system directories (like system32/lang, I think), but if you built it yourself they might not be on there. Either way, installing from the installation CD like they say really is the easiest if you need to do it. I had to try to reinstall those files just the other day without a CD, and it was such a pain in my ass.

Anyway, best of luck with the new job and be sure to post about it regularly! I hope your computer plays nice with Chinese fonts and that whatever you use for a VPN runs smoothly.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Teaching a language, especially teaching a language well, is hard work. I'd also do some background Googling and reading on "EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teaching in China".
I'd agree with that if I thought 'stage was intending to make a career of it, but I don't think that's the case.

-conversely, English conversation schools tend to involve a lot of sales and salesmanship, sometimes with even more stress on these skills than on teaching skills. Be prepared to be the "salesman" sometimes, as part of your job duties. Sometimes the sales will come at the expense of teaching well. You have to learn how to balance the two
This is what I expect 'stage's experience to be. In fact, when I taught, the feedback I got from my employers was that I was teaching my students too well -- that they were progressing too quickly. The school wanted me to drag the process out (indefinitely, if possible) in order to keep collecting that fat fee. The balancing act for me was weighing the needs of the company against my conscience.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I know a lot of people with teaching degrees, or who teach at Universities, or are on a permanent call list at several big companies to teach biz English. For those people, teaching English well is very important. But many people headed overseas to give teaching and living abroad a try are going to work in private academies where teaching English well is not the point. Having a white face and being an English-talking monkey is the point.

Your 17 years in Japan may be skewing your perspective of the ESL world today. That's understandable though. I have a brother who has lived there 10 years and I almost followed my classmates and went over there too back then. It's not the 90's anymore. The situation has changed in many ways.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wow, cool find Prof, thanks. I'll have to show that to my ma. Hopefully will put her a bit more at ease.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm surprised that even got posted on NY Times since it's totally not news (shitloads of 20-somethings have gone to Asia to teach English because of the terrible job market back home), but I guess it works as an op-ed. Thanks for posting it here.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Was thinking about which Kindle to buy when I found out the 3G version bypasses China's Great Firewall. Niiiiice.

Borgeois

n00b
Was thinking about which Kindle to buy when I found out the 3G version bypasses China's Great Firewall. Niiiiice.

Haha. Yes, it does.

There's always tor browser too, for a cheap alternative: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

It was also mentioned earlier that paid VPN services are good; and they are. They will be much quicker than other options such as TOR, and they are usually cost effective starting around $5 a month. On the other hand, TOR is free. Ultimately, it depends on your preference for speed vs. cost.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
hey bros I'm in China now uhh what's a good blogspot to detail my chinese life

i've never had a blog before

PS everyone on the street turns their head and looks at the white man

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Hey man,

Glad you made it over there. Stay safe and have fun. Take pictures like a motherfucker!

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Man Lonesage you're both a baller and in China doing something fun that makes money? How does it feel to be a gangstar? :D

pandyra

Mr. Big's Thug

Congratulations, you are now a racial minority.

I've heard QQ is pretty popular in China, but I've never heard of anyone but Chinese students using it in the US. Try tumblr, you can post lots of pictures that way.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Congrats Sage. I can't wait to hear of your adventures. Blog and pics please.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Looking forward to reading the updates Sage. Good luck man.