Kansas to LGBT individuals: Go Fuck yourself

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.co...-in-kansas/news/2014/02/13/83162#.Uv_WxvldWSo

By no means am I an expert in law/laws/ or anything related so I apologize if the article is misrepresenting the context of the bill being passed.

Lawmakers in the Kansas House of Representatives have just passed a bill that allows any person or religious institution to refuse service to same-sex couples. The vote on HB 2453 was a whopping 72-49. The Kansas Senate, which has a strong Republican majority, will almost certainly pass the bill, and Kansas’ Republican and virulently homophobic governor, Sam Brownback, will not only sign it, but likely dance for joy when he does.

How big a deal is this?

In short, the bill allows anyone to refuse to provide service to any gay person or same-sex couple.

UPDTE: Tennessee GOP Pushing Orwellian Gay Segregation Bill

That “anyone” includes your doctor, a police woman, the fire department, the clerk at the DMV, a grocery store clerk, your local barber or hairdresser, your doorman, the person who comes to check your electric meter, a gas station attendant, your friendly neighborhood banker, stock broker, insurance salesperson, newspaper delivery person, cable repair man, garbage collector, heck — even your boss or co-worker.

The bill (PDF) states that “if it would be contrary to the sincerely held religious beliefs of the individual or religious entity…no individual or religious entity shall be required by any governmental entity to…[p]rovide any services, accommodations, advantages, facilities, goods, or privileges; provide counseling, adoption, foster care and other social services; or provide employment or employment benefits, related to, or related to the celebration of, any marriage, domestic partnership, civil union or similar arrangement; solemnize any marriage, domestic partnership, civil union or similar arrangement; or treat any marriage, domestic partnership, civil union or similar arrangement as valid.” [Note: legal formatting removed for clarity]

So, for example, let’s say a married same-sex couple from California — let’s name them Bob and Jim — are driving to Nebraska, and they take a route through Kansas. Let’s say they stop overnight in a hotel. Let’s even say they’re good planners and made a reservation online a few days before.

It’s late in our hypothetical example, and Bob and Jim pull into the Topeka Travelin’ Motel (which, as far as we know, does not actuality exist.) They park and grab their luggage and walk into the front door. Jim goes up to the clerk and says he has a reservation. The clerk, let’s call him John, says he can’t find it. Jim says, “Honey, is the reservation under your last name or mine?”

Bingo.

John, perhaps a Southern Baptist, feels offended. He remembers that his lawmakers just passed a bill saying he doesn’t have to serve gay people or same-sex couples.

“You folks are a couple? We don’t like your kind here and you can’t stay in this motel.”

If Bob and Jim were Roberta and James, John could be sued. But in Kansas, John is an upstanding citizen exercising his religious right to be a bigot. he can’t be sued, and if Bob and Jim try, John can force them to pay his legal fees.

(By the way, yesterday The New Civil Rights Movement reported on a similar, albeit not quite as far-reaching, bill in Idaho.)

Slate calls the legislation “an abomination… designed to bring anti-gay segregation—under the guise of ‘religious liberty’—to the already deep-red state.”

The Kansas City Star reports that “Rep. Charles Macheers, R-Shawnee, said on the House floor that his bill prevents discrimination.”

“Discrimination is horrible. It’s hurtful … It has no place in civilized society, and that’s precisely why we’re moving this bill,” he said. “There have been times throughout history where people have been persecuted for their religious beliefs because they were unpopular. This bill provides a shield of protection for that.”

More like a shield of protection to actively hate gay people and spur a mass exodus from the Sunflower State.

Seriously, why would anyone not move out of Kansas right now?

Here is a link to the piece of legislature
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/hb2453_01_0000.pdf

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
that last quote from rep macheers really seals the deal for me.

he is basically saying discrimination is bad so lets give people rights to discriminate.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
that last quote from rep macheers really seals the deal for me.

he is basically saying discrimination is bad so lets give people rights to discriminate.

It is a circular logic that confounds me. Giving rights to the LGBT is apparently discriminating towards religious individuals so we need to discriminate LGBT people so the religious folk are not discriminated against.

I mean....what

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Meh discrimination is stupid but stupid people should have the right to discriminate in their private business.

Public services should not be allowed to discriminate.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Meh discrimination is stupid but stupid people should have the right to discriminate in their private business.

I feel like I shouldn't, but I kind of agree with this. I think what makes it not sit well with me is that it's now state-sanctioned discrimination. The other problem is that their excuse is that it apparently discriminates against Christian business owners' religious views. So what's to stop rednecks from forming a "religion" based on white supremacy, then using that as an excuse to take us back to the times of "whites" and "colored only"?

If some small business owner wants to make it clear that they don't want to cater to gay people, all they really need to do is put a sign in the window supporting "traditional" marriage. Then the only gays that will go in there are the ones deliberately trying to stir up trouble, which of course gives the business owner the perfect excuse to toss them.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I find it hard to even comment on this. It's so asinine that in 2014 we can still believe it's OK to segregate and treat people different simply based on their sexual orientation. Kansas might as well secede. I don't think we really need a whole state full of hate mongering lowlifes. All the cool people in Kansas can just move out to a neighboring state. Colorado is pretty awesome and very accepting. Let's just get rid of Kansas all together and make the US a better place.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
At what point is the religious right in this country going to just go full blown Al Qaeda on us, because I can't help but think we're watching it in action.

They're already half-way there.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
At what point is the religious right in this country going to just go full blown Al Qaeda on us, because I can't help but think we're watching it in action.

They just need their own Sayyid Qutb to get the ball really going.

And a rival nation to arm their militants.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Is a private business that is open to the public in fact private?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

This is basically the plot of Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's Tale.

It's one of my favorite pieces of dystopian fiction.

lithy

20 Year Member
Is a private business that is open to the public in fact private?

Yes, although we currently don't treat it this way (re: indoor smoking bans).

Phyeir

This is basically the plot of Margaret Atwood's novel The Handmaid's Tale.

It's one of my favorite pieces of dystopian fiction.

You just added that book to my list of books to read, thx.

Eduardo Dos Pezones said:
They just need their own Sayyid Qutb to get the ball really going.

And a rival nation to arm their militants.

Maybe Joel Osteen will go off the deep-end, he could pull it off.

lithy

20 Year Member
Oh man, I would totally go gay for Joel Osteen.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
I feel like I shouldn't, but I kind of agree with this.

It's OK man. You can come out of the closet as a person with libertarian tendencies.

(Edit: what I mean to say is that it can be compatible to be opposed to discrimination based on sexual orientation but also recognize that private establishments should retain the right to refuse service to anyone)

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member

I agree with this (even though it may sound cruel).

Besides, let the bigots sink them selves when people vote with there dollars.
This is nothing more than a case of their personal biases getting in the way of the $ they bring in.
Serves the hicks right anyway. Any business person worth their salt in a metropolis would never be down with shit like this because they know how good the gays are as customers.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
It is a circular logic that confounds me. Giving rights to the LGBT is apparently discriminating towards religious individuals so we need to discriminate LGBT people so the religious folk are not discriminated against.

I mean....what

GOP politics is unsustainable if the social conservative wing continues to dominate the party. Need to focus on economics not the bedroom. Any real fiscal conservative would be willing to consider (not necessarily support- but consider) legalization and taxation of marijuana.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
1311993949997.jpg

I didn't even know Kansas still existed. Anyway, I'm sure its gonna be way easier to play spot the bigot there.

Phyeir

GOP politics is unsustainable if the social conservative wing continues to dominate the party. Need to focus on economics not the bedroom. Any real fiscal conservative would be willing to consider (not necessarily support- but consider) legalization and taxation of marijuana.

As long as the LCD continues to be such a fruitful & easily malleable source of votes, there is no reason for them to change.

This goes for both parties.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
bleh

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's just another way to say "The management reserve the rights to refuse service to anyone."

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I really hope this is a joke. It is... right?