Kentarou Miura passed away?????(creator of BERSERK)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I wish I knew how.

Until a decision on the status is confirmed, choosing to move on is premature and fatalistic.

Also, I am really not afraid of 'Game of Thrones part 2' happening and here's why.

Game of Thrones ending was botched badly. It's impossible to like it. At best, all you can do is resign yourself to accepting it.

But it's a hell of a lot better than what Martin was giving us, which is nothing.

Nothing is never better than something and my real anger isn't that GoT ended poorly.

It's that the guy that created it hasn't designed to give us anything better and he's still fucking alive.

Wheel of Time's ending is something Jordan fans accept. They know it's not Jordan and they are able to accept the conclusion under those auspices. Of course they'd prefer Jordan survived to finish it. Who wouldn't?

But, like with GoT, something is better than nothing. And Sanderson did his best to honor the work and the man.

That is the big difference between Wheel of Time and GoT. One creator is dead and he was respected.

The other creator was alive and disrespected, and he probably brought it on himself anyway.

Now, while there may be a ton of variables, ask yourself which is more likely?

In the event Berserk continues, will Studoo Gaga:

-respect Miura's legacy and try to craft a satisfying ending using what they have and what they know from working with the man?

OR

-shit out an ending regardless of the creator's wishes or intentions as an opportunity to garner more false accolades?

I think you already know the answer.

Have some faith. If they choose to continue it, it will be the best they can do. That's respectable.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Imagine if he had put out a chapter every other week...or, even monthly.

I look at Hajime no Ippo (over 1300 chapters, still going strong) and try to imagine if Miura had put out that much story, where would we be? In HNI's case, a retired main character, who seems directionless, with all his friends/ rivals seemingly passing him by. I would like to believe, by that time, Berserk would be in a better place but, I guess we'll never know.

I get Taiso would like a conclusion but, I just don't think that's gonna happen. Just enjoy Berserk for what it was. Sorry, dude.

Jon

I remember reading an interview years ago. Miura said that he would take breaks in writing for his own sanity.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I am on Chapter 275 right now for the first read through ( Attempting to catch up) and I am deeply saddened by Miura's passing. The art only kept getting better and it seems like we were so close to some sort of ground being made about how Guts could achieve his ultimate goal.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This is likely the chapter he and Studio Gaga were working on at the time of his passing. I have no way of knowing how much of it he cobtributed and how much of it 'in his spirit' but I truly hope this is a soft commitment by the studio that they will carry on.

My nephew was born the same year this series started. Miura continued to tell this story during all that time. There is nothing anyone can say to convince me that Miura would want them to stop.

The entire ethos of the series is 'struggle'. That was inside Miura's soul because if it wasn't, this series wouldn't feel as authentic an expression of its creator's will as it does.

Berserk wants to live. It SHOULD live. To bury it when it still has something to say is cowardice.

#gutslives

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
#900Godhands, #CascaMetoo, etc. is where I see the series going if it continues.

Jon

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I used to play Berserk on the Atari 2600. It was quite an exciting game.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
#900Godhands, #CascaMetoo, etc. is where I see the series going if it continues.

Jon
Then you don't understand the relationship Miura had with his assistants.

Stop worrying. Even if it's not 'good', it won't go woke. Relax.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
One of my favorite things about manga versus western comics is how creator driven it usually is. While I don’t know this series well at all I can’t seriously imagine wanting my favorite manga to continue as a corporate infinity property like One Piece or Lupin III or Star Wars where it just never stops.

Maybe “the struggle” isn’t that some people try to make a doomed effort not suck. Maybe the struggle is that fans learn to move on. Death sucks but warmed over zombie shit sucks million times worse.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
One of my favorite things about manga versus western comics is how creator driven it usually is. While I don’t know this series well at all I can’t seriously imagine wanting my favorite manga to continue as a corporate infinity property like One Piece or Lupin III or Star Wars where it just never stops.

Maybe “the struggle” isn’t that some people try to make a doomed effort not suck. Maybe the struggle is that fans learn to move on. Death sucks but warmed over zombie shit sucks million times worse.
I had this same conversation with my nephew a few days ago and we both came to the same conclusion:

Studio Gaga would not continue if Hakusensha was only extending the life for cynical reasons. I think making the assumption that corporate greed would be the reason this would continue on is just not a realistic assumption to make about this series.

They let him take YEARS off so that he could do other things (whatever those things were).

And while there has been SOME merchandising, most of it is of the 'boutique' tier, meaning super expensive.

And no, the 'struggle' isn't to accept death or the end.

That is a gross misunderstanding of the ethos of the series, which is quite the opposite, in fact.

I'd agree that if it's nothing more than a hollow cash grab, it shouldn't move on.

But I'd say assuming that sort of thing displays lack of knowledge of both Miura's work and who his students are. If they choose to continue it, it will be an earnest attempt to continue the work in his spirit.

Would it be good?

Well, if anything like this has a chance of being good, it's a Studio Gaga produced continuation of Berserk. Nobody else should try, and I'd bet my Figma collection that if Studio Gaga declines to carry on, there is no one else that would have the stones to even dare try it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thank you for sharing the update; I am really glad to hear about the memorial issue and the latest chapter news. I wish the creative team well.

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
In my experience as a reader, 'Berserk' was a very important read, because it has awakened me of the emotions that many years ago I did not think that a simple comic book could express, but honestly speaking, I always believed that the author would have died before finishing his work: it takes a lot of time to realize of the drawings with this quality and a bi-weekly magazine like 'Young Animal' has always been the wrong place to continue serializing this work.

Miura should have passed on monthly container or even on a magazine with a periodicity even more dilated than that: you can see that after the saga of the rescue of Caska, the author did not know well in which direction to go.

The characters how many years they were on that fucking boat to go on the island of the elves?

Unfortunately, it seems that 'Vagabond', 'Hunter x Hunter' and 'Bastard!!', have also set out on this horrible path and for this could meet the exact same end at any moment...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think he knew where it was going, as evidenced by the complicated relationship between Guts and Casca after her psyche was mostly healed. I'd say that to assume he didn't know means you probably aren't paying close attention. He was about to explain the Berserker armor and probably give us a ton of Gaiseric's back story. Then there was Rickert fleeing Falconia, which was certainly going somewhere.

So he knew. He definitely knew.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Thank you for sharing this. Sounds like they still don't know what they're going to do, which means they're thinking about all possibilities and what is the best decision.

Strugglers.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
'Last chapter' was fantastic.

Perfectly crafted metanarrative.

Future of series still undetermined, by Studio Gaga's own account.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Super sucks. I read yesterday they will be concluding the manga. Not sure if it's true though.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Just reading through the manga for the first time. I started with the Golden Age film trilogy, then anime, then the "unmentionable" CGI abomination just because it was free on Crunchyroll and I was curious about what happened next.

I'm on Chapter 260, which is when they're attempting to board the boat to visit Elfhelm while escaping a burning city. Still have a ways to go, but what I've read so far has been captivating, even during arcs I didn't much care for. I honestly thought the Lost Children arc was far more riveting than the more widely known Conviction arc, but then I found Mozgus such a caricature and Nina so infuriating that it felt like a chore to get through.

All in all it's been an engrossing last several months since I started, and although I'd like to share more thoughts down the line I absolutely believe this needs to be continued. 32 years and counting is far too long a time to pull the plug when it's (allegedly) 80% done. Even if it takes another year or more to map out the rest of the story, go for it. This isn't ASOIAF where the author effectively wrote himself into a corner by overindulging in expanding his creation to the detriment of the plot's focus. I honestly can't wait to see how characters like Mule and Charlotte react once (if) they become privy to Griffith's past and current sins. Come to think of it, I'm hoping at some point Charlotte at least asks Griffith about how he's as good as new despite being by his side when he was maimed and incapable of communicating anything.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Come to think of it, I'm hoping at some point Charlotte at least asks Griffith about how he's as good as new despite being by his side when he was maimed and incapable of communicating anything.
senzu bean

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
This isn't ASOIAF where the author effectively wrote himself into a corner by overindulging in expanding his creation to the detriment of the plot's focus.
Are you sure?

I don't believe any story should go on this long. It's mania, and only robot people (Taiso should take this as a compliment because I like him) and adolescents seem to be able to pay attention that long. I haven't finished the story but I find it absurd that Griffith returns more-or-less to his human form and gets tucked away back into the story. Typical Japanese storytellers who don't know when to put the fucking pen down.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Are you sure?

I don't believe any story should go on this long. It's mania, and only robot people (Taiso should take this as a compliment because I like him) and adolescents seem to be able to pay attention that long. I haven't finished the story but I find it absurd that Griffith returns more-or-less to his human form and gets tucked away back into the story. Typical Japanese storytellers who don't know when to put the fucking pen down.
Although I can certainly see your point, I find Guts' development so engrossing that I'm happy to continue along. Also interested in finding out more about Skull Knight, the history of the past and current godhand, Casca's motivation moving forward (haven't gotten to her healing stage yet), etc.

Thus far it doesn't feel bloated in the same way other long-running franchises have become. I agree that Griffith returning to his human form was too much too soon, though, considering his Femto form was only present for a few issues.