King Kong vs Godzilla.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
im so stoned that when I clicked on this thread I was fully ready to say who I thought would win.

like, ohhh, its a movie... whatever

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It delivered on the giant monster fights and solid CG, was afraid the camera would be be too close or move too much but it was fine for the most part.

But man was that first 3rd a struggle to get through. Like seriously just stupid x stupid, just FF to the second half.

If you paid to rent this you're a sucker.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
The last 30 minutes made the movie. I don't know what else you'd wanna watch it for. Never been happier being a sucker though. I was going to order take out but decided to cook. Basically this movie replaced that expense. And it tasted good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m going to see it on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I see it advertised here and some of my students saw it and liked it so mission accomplished. People are starving for any movie now.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The last 30 minutes made the movie. I don't know what else you'd wanna watch it for.
Well it is an hour and a half so you know maybe the duration of the film be watchable lol

Oh yeah, I mentioned the color coding here awhile ago and it's in full effect. Not just neon blue and orange, everything is fucking neon. There's even a point where the black dude say something along the lines of "if this wasn't an evil laboratory it would be an awesome Dj booth" so at least it's self aware.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Well it is an hour and a half so you know maybe the duration of the film be watchable lol

Oh yeah, I mentioned the color coding here awhile ago and it's in full effect. Not just neon blue and orange, everything is fucking neon. There's even a point where the black dude say something along the lines of "if this wasn't an evil laboratory it would be an awesome Dj booth" so at least it's self aware.
Yeah. Part of the reason I had to pay for it was that Canada doesn't have hbo max, for reasons I don't know.

You come for the giant monster fighting is what I was getting at. The little kid in me who watched old Godzilla movies including the original was very pleased as you can see from my reaction and anticipation. Had a real good time. But yeah I see its faults. Way too biased though haha movie of the year!

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I watched it on the xbox series x. And yes it did. Rented for $25 which is nuts but its probably the only movie that I'd be willing to go that far with. Im not sure about the ps4 though. I'd assume so.
Why not just pay for hbo max for a month at 15? I plan on canceling my hbo max after I see all the movies I have on my watch list. Digging the kurasowa, lone wolf and cub, and general samurai movies they have.

Edit: didn't see you weren't able to get hbo max because of Canada, sorry guy.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why not just pay for hbo max for a month at 15? I plan on canceling my hbo max after I see all the movies I have on my watch list. Digging the kurasowa, lone wolf and cub, and general samurai movies they have.

Edit: didn't see you weren't able to get hbo max because of Canada, sorry guy.
Yea, hbo max is a little pricey but the one plus is some of these movies that are in the theaters are available at no additional cost.

Saw the Justice League movie and this one. Thought they were both ok. Nothing special. Worth a watch but wouldn't see again.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
The whole middle earth plotpoint felt beyond preposterous and was a lazy copout way to move the plot along, but it wasn't enough to ruin the entire movie.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
The old Godzilla movies had very ridiculous plot points. This is Godzilla vs Kong not the shawshank redemption.

Reactions: Syn

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I liked the nod to the original G Vs K by using an electric shock to jump start Kong's heart.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Saw it on iMax yesterday and was thoroughly entertained despite its sheer stupidity and 'pacing problems'.

Millie Bobbie Brown's talents are being thoroughly wasted in Hollywood. She has some chops but her agents are burning her out with all of these Stunning and Brave roles. She is a good young actress but if they keep giving her bratty YA heroine roles, she will one day be getting interviewed by Oprah about how she's happier working in the private sector.

Kong is the star of this movie, and that's how it should be. His humanity is his defining trait and it's put to good use in this film. You can really empathize with a lot of his challenges if you're in the right headspace. Being alone and lost in a world that doesn't understand him, making a journey to discovery about his reality, he goes on the Campbellian hero's journey (although not completely).

Godzilla is presented here as more of an implacable engine of destruction, a purely natural beast incapable of evolution, with all of his defining traits alteady baked in and only revealed when the situation merits. As Kong is a giant silver back, Godzilla is a giant alligator, built to last, relentless and, like the Nile Crocodile, at or near the top of the food chain. For half of this movie, I was nervous for Kong because I knew that even in the fight were to take place in his own element (or reasonable facsimile of it), he is in real danger. There is no living thing that can defeat Godzilla in that universe.

Spoilers.

Spoiler:
Mecha Godzilla represents humanity's absolute hubris. We should have evolved beyond the need to be dominant. We should have learned to live in harmony with nature and accept our place in the order of things. We find ways to cheat nature, to cheat the universe, and no matter how well meaning our technological advancements may be, they're always calamities waiting to spiral out of control.

Mecha Godzilla is representative of the pinnacle that humanity is capable of. Great and terrible things, indeed. Once the malevolent psychic energies of King Gidorah are sufficiently powered by the energy from the Hollow Earth, it is a terrifying force put to use. In the junk philosophy of this movie, there is a legitimate 'oh shit what have we done' moment.

When Mecha Godzilla is straight up wrecking big G, I was legitimately bothered. It's a straight up genocide of a majestic beast by an invasive, unnatural presence. When Godzilla definitively beats Kong the second time, even with his proto-zilla dorsal fin lightning axe, I felt bad for Kong but I understood that this was the natural order: man must eventually lose to nature. If man doesn't lose to nature, it's because man has done something wrong.

When Mecha Godzilla is about to kill big G by breathing fire down his throat, I was pissed off. The ultimate humiliation of nature by humanity's excess. A veritable violation of his sovereignty. If I could have turned into a giant person and joined the fight, I would have. Godzilla may be dangerous, but he is also nature's champion and if he's wrecking our shit, it's either because we're fucking with his cabbage patch or because we've gone too far and he's got to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

In this way, Kong is an avatar for humanity and working with Godzilla to give Mecha Godzilla the beating and violent dismemberment it absolutely deserves was wholly satisfying. Kong is saving us from ourselves at the end of the film by both bailing out Godzilla (thereby restoring our connection with nature) and then destroying Mecha Godzilla in the most satisfying way I could ever imagine (cleaning up the mess we've made). The film, like so many other Godzilla flicks, Carrie's some good pro-environment messaging.

All of this is not to say that the film. Is above criticism. Far from it. It's a film that a lot of people had a hand in creating and is too big to imagine the final vision in your brain. All of its themes are almost lost to the average film goer, buried in spectacle.

But honestly, do you really WANT another ponderous flick about the deeper meaning of living in this fragile world? You're better off just watching a documentary if you want to learn about how to help the planet and the things that live in it. Or just watch the first Godzilla movie from the 50s. It's all there.

But I think it's perfectly all right to seed those things into a big dumb monster movie, which is very much what this is. Those seeds will grow if you want to water them and give them sunlight (as I clearly have). But if you don't care, here's a film about two iconic movie monsters giving us a good reason to eat popcorn and participate inba super spreader event.

Recommend.

Fun factor: 5/5
'Objective' Standards: 2.5/5

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I enjoyed it for what it is. I definitely prefer the Kong movie, but this is great mayhem.
There are soo many superfluous characters that have absolutely no real point. If you try to justify them, it's going to ruin the movie for you. There's quite a lot more to explore with Titans, so I hope they keep this going every few years.

I think people will be happy with the battle conclusion.
Spoiler:
It makes everyone a winner.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The thing that bugged me the most was that Kong could always see the little deaf girl. Like through a window, on a ship, in a storm. That would be like us seeing an ant trying to wave at us on a ship, through a window, in a storm.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The thing that bugged me the most was that Kong could always see the little deaf girl. Like through a window, on a ship, in a storm. That would be like us seeing an ant trying to wave at us on a ship, through a window, in a storm.
One of the conceits of Kong as a concept is that when he cares for someone, he can always find them. This isn't the first instance of him having that of 'radar'. Yes, it may not make sense but it's just part of the idea.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

I actually said this out loud while we were watching. "Kong has some damn good eye sight"....

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The little girl probably stinks of BO.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This was way better than King of the Monsters. Maybe not as good as Godzilla 2014 or Skull Island, but fun enough. Hopefully we get more from this universe.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This was way better than King of the Monsters. Maybe not as good as Godzilla 2014 or Skull Island, but fun enough. Hopefully we get more from this universe.

What do you think they could/would do next?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You know... I actually enjoyed this film....

Mainly on the basis that all the Human protagnists roles were just to drive a non-sensical plot obviously written by a million monkeys chained to a typewriter...

... which just led to massive CGI slugfests...

I never read too much into films like this... I don't try and analyse the hidden messages or wot not..

Essentially, I put my brain in neutral and take it for what it as... a Popcorn flick that makes 2 hour of viewing seem better than spending 2 hours on some preachy ass social Propaganda that Hollywood as drivelled out recently...

There are NO hidden messages when an ape the size of a building is fighting a Lizard the size of a building...

xROTx

PS. If I started analysing stuff like this... I'd inevitably end up thinking:
1. Where do they poop? and the poops must be the size of a building...
2. How come we never see Godzilla and Kongs Dong?
3. How the fook does a big raging ape not notice being roofied... put on a boat... then put in a net flown by helicopters...
4. Why do they make jokes when a bad guy gets crushed...

etc etc... That's how my mind works...