King Kong vs Godzilla.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Apparently I had seen the movie preceding this one but I can't remember anything about it. I feel like this is going to happen with this one too. Overall was a relaxing way to spend this evening but nothing to write home about. (was it ever going to be? lol)

I really wanted more ape noises though, I mean would it really have been that hard? Missed opportunity.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Voltron live action with early ‘80s pastiche...

I would need to change my knickers many times.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So I guess we are getting a Netflix anime set after Skull Island but before Godzilla 2014. It is called Skull Island and tells the story of shipwrecked people trying to survive the island.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'd like to see a Gamera crossover, as I don't believe it's ever happened in live action

I'd also take a sequel to Shin Godzilla, which is the actual 'best' Godzilla movie I've seen since the original.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sounds a lot like Gilligan's Island

Gilligan's Island with giant creatures constantly trying to kill you. I actually like the Skull Island as a setting.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You know... I actually enjoyed this film....

Mainly on the basis that all the Human protagnists roles were just to drive a non-sensical plot obviously written by a million monkeys chained to a typewriter...

... which just led to massive CGI slugfests...

I never read too much into films like this... I don't try and analyse the hidden messages or wot not..

Essentially, I put my brain in neutral and take it for what it as... a Popcorn flick that makes 2 hour of viewing seem better than spending 2 hours on some preachy ass social Propaganda that Hollywood as drivelled out recently...

There are NO hidden messages when an ape the size of a building is fighting a Lizard the size of a building...

xROTx

PS. If I started analysing stuff like this... I'd inevitably end up thinking:
1. Where do they poop? and the poops must be the size of a building...
2. How come we never see Godzilla and Kongs Dong?
3. How the fook does a big raging ape not notice being roofied... put on a boat... then put in a net flown by helicopters...
4. Why do they make jokes when a bad guy gets crushed...

etc etc... That's how my mind works...
Kong’s Dong is clearly missing.

Godzilla is presumptively a lizard and as such we most likely wouldn’t see that Gojira Dong. Look up “Hemipenis.”

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'd like to see a Gamera crossover, as I don't believe it's ever happened in live action

I'd also take a sequel to Shin Godzilla, which is the actual 'best' Godzilla movie I've seen since the original.
I recently watched Shin Godzilla and really enjoyed it.

I guess we can’t get a Japanese Godzilla film and one from Legendary Entertainment in the same year? (According to Wikipedia) so im hopeful we’ll get a sequel to Shin Godzilla soon.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Toho said no Shin sequels but they are interested in Legendary's monster verse.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Opening weekend streaming views for major recent film releases, US only:

Godzilla vs Kong: 3.6 million
Soul: 2.4 million
Wonder Woman 1984: 2.2 million
Zack Snyder's Justice League: 1.8 million
Hamilton: 1.8 million
The Little Things: 1.4 million
Tom and Jerry: 1.2 million
Judas and the Black Messiah: 653 thousand

Safe to say we're getting more. Most successful box office film of the pandemic era, most successful streaming film too.

They're also about to drop two prequel graphic novels and the aforementioned Netflix series.

Glad they didn't let King of the Monsters tank the whole franchise.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’d like to see more Mothra, personally.

but they’ve got a hell of a lot to explain with regard to the hollow earth...and after King of Monsters what are all the other Titans doing?

famicommander

15 Year Member
I’d like to see more Mothra, personally.

but they’ve got a hell of a lot to explain with regard to the hollow earth...and after King of Monsters what are all the other Titans doing?

I think the ending was meant to imply that the other titans went back to sleep at the behest of Godzilla. They were awakened artificially before they were needed whereas Godzilla was awakened when he should've been as a response to atomic testing.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Box office update: $358 million global total after only two weekends

Life to date for the franchise
Godzilla: 529 million
Kong: Skull Island: 567 million
Godzilla: King of the Monsters: 387 million
Godzilla vs Kong: 358 million

This is an insanely good performance considering the pandemic and the HBO Max simultaneous release. Variety estimated the movie needed $330 million to turn a profit after marketing and other costs. It's already blown past that without whatever money they're getting from HBO factored in.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Isn't weird how the Legendary series mirrors the original Godzilla series of the 1950s-1970s?

Start with one semi-serious movie, and then get increasingly silly with each sequel. Except in Legendary's case, 4 movies in and we're already at 1970s-level ridiculousness.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Isn't weird how the Legendary series mirrors the original Godzilla series of the 1950s-1970s?

Start with one semi-serious movie, and then get increasingly silly with each sequel. Except in Legendary's case, 4 movies in and we're already at 1970s-level ridiculousness.E
Every movie after the first is for children anyway.

Holy cow what even is Godzilla 2.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

Start with one semi-serious movie, and then get increasingly silly with each sequel. Except in Legendary's case, 4 movies in and we're already at 1970s-level ridiculousness.
Do you listen to the TESD podcast? Because that was said on there almost verbatim.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Hollywood recycling content is par for the course.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think Godzilla 2014 was about as good of a "serious" monster movie as these people are capable of making. They did a decent job with it but I wouldn't trust them to do it again in a sequel. I'm glad they pivoted and leaned more into the crazy. Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong are good quality stupid fun.

Shame they botched King of the Monsters so hard but there are still some pretty cool scenes in that one.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think Godzilla 2014 was about as good of a "serious" monster movie as these people are capable of making. They did a decent job with it but I wouldn't trust them to do it again in a sequel. I'm glad they pivoted and leaned more into the crazy. Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong are good quality stupid fun.

Shame they botched King of the Monsters so hard but there are still some pretty cool scenes in that one.

Mothra was terribly wasted in King of Monsters.

Since Godzilla 2014 have we got a Godzilla video game?