Kof 2002 MVS cart shell colors?

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
Hi friends i have a doubt about that game i see has many colors between regions i have indentify some one:

-Green : Japan
-Red : Usa
-Orange : Mexico / alternative

But recent i found a Yellow one ( original label and board/chips are originals ) with the same type of label like USA with serial number on right bottom.
What region is this Kof 2002?
Exist more colors?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
There are legit pink carts of 2002. Most of them are from Mexico/South America.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I didn't know the color had anything to do with the region. I have a complete kit with matching serials. The cart is yellow and the contents of the kit are in Spanish.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
I didn't know the color had anything to do with the region. I have a complete kit with matching serials. The cart is yellow and the contents of the kit are in Spanish.

Nice, then we can expect that yellow cart of kof 2002 was Spanish/South America región game.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The RED ,I'm pretty sure is Korean and the brownish orange is USA per all the kits I've come across in years past.
BB

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
yeah i have a US kit and pretty sure it is green. maybe mine is the ultra rare variant, 1st 1mil gets it :) i can take a pic later.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
20210714_183343.jpg
Yup green, for what's in worth these were probably all put together in the same place and they may have intended different colors for different regions but just in the flow of production maybe this cart was at end of japan run and the English labels were applied before the next color started. Or they just had a bunch of different color shells feed by color hit the go button for the line and you got what you got :) probably should mention I have both English and Spanish marquee sets in this kit.

Jonap

Mega Shock!!
View attachment 51199
Yup green, for what's in worth these were probably all put together in the same place and they may have intended different colors for different regions but just in the flow of production maybe this cart was at end of japan run and the English labels were applied before the next color started. Or they just had a bunch of different color shells feed by color hit the go button for the line and you got what you got :) probably should mention I have both English and Spanish marquee sets in this kit.

Thats the first time i see kof 2002 in green shell with EU/US Label.

That game is very interesting, has a lot of color shells.:)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
KOF 2002 is very interesting. KOF 2001 feels like they did what they had to to get something out the door. But for 2002 Playmore and Eolith had another year to figure out what they would do, and the game is better quality inside and out. I'm impressed with all the regional variants that apparently exist.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I've got a pink KOF 2002. Can't think of any other carts that came in pink?

Also check these previous threads;

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I've got a pink KOF 2002. Can't think of any other carts that came in pink?

Also check these previous threads;

Reading the other thread though you really think different distributors was the case for KOF 2002 and later releases. just ask because one would assume in the later years as the MVS was winding down there would be less places to send these off to and the number of games made would be less. with 2002 as noted there are a ton of colors (not sure what game has the most color variants but this one has a bunch) so thinking there would by 5+ different distributor coloring the shells would seem odd. not to mention have not seen a clear shell version , i have a few clear shells just older games.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I may have to re-pick this one up again...It's not much of a one player title BUT I love the Athena Sprite
Pink or the brownish orange would be my preference...
BB

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Lets not forget the crappy wooden carts from NG_Dev team :ROFLMAO: The two shells I like the most are the clear ones especially if you have a nice non yellowed one, my FFS is pretty clean, gorgeous. I can only imagine how slick these must have been straight off the production line. The other cart color that really stands out to me is actually the rental carts, the pearl white ones, they look great. Obviously, the standard black carts are kind of iconic so a big shout out to them too.