KoF Producer Leaves SNKP and President Wants to Shut Down Video Game Division

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
elitist and boring, Fran. If you want to disconnect yourself from the site members, you're doing a good job. Problem is that a lot of people like you and would like to have you posting like the old days.

We can put in our SSII carts and play them the same way all the time. But some members get old, and like SNK developers, lose their mojo. While I think it's time for the developers to go the way of Batistuta, I have faith that you can make a comeback.

i could easily write 8k but..just one thing :

you people don't seem to understand / realize something
something not so trivial
those artists and sprite designers that made kof xi and xii and xii are the last of a kind
even our friend doctor neogeo has been with the company for what ? 10+ years ?
and he was a fan of the neo before becoming part of the company
you simply cannot replace something like that

"omg sell the ip's to capcom !1!!"
it's such a stupid stupid statement for loads of reasons
just a practical one :
the last sprite based versus game from capcom was cfj in 2005
and cfj was basically 98 % rehash
soooo,back in time to cvs 2 in 2001 (2002? too lazy to google it)
10 years ago

capcom is still alive for a number of causes
one of those is that they are making games like sf iv and not kof xiii
games that are 3d,stupid,easy to make,shallow as shit,perfect for 2011
and please don't mention other companies or blazblue
kof sprites are art , blazblue is just like an annoying flash video

in other words,only those people at snk could create kof xiii
if they are gone,there is no kof or gekka or whatever

personally,i have always been a fan of the mvs / neo geo more than an snk fan
so i didn't really care for kof xi even though it was pretty good
i stopped playing kof with 2003

but i still play all those neo geo games like crazy,i am still loving them
probably now more than ever
i am still discovering new stuff,secrets,etc
stuff that probably no one knows (outside japan)

you people say you are sad about this
but this site never was about the games (the gameplay section is a total joke)
so why do you say you care ?
because you played shin samurai spirits in 1994 ?
all you guys do nowadays is just posting in unrelated
might as well leave this site if you have no interest in neo geo games
and don't say you care about snk or kof if you never play the goddam games

and,btw,eikichi kawasaki hasn't been part of the company for a while now
basically the neo and snk died when he left
was he really a boxer anyway ?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i agree with fran 100%

it is retarded for you guys to think that someone will snag their ips, when they have clearly said they will focus on licensing. If anything, all they are saying is that they are going to outsource their games if they want to, which is not bad considering SFIV was outsourced. Heck KoF XIII was Distributed by Konami if im not mistaken.

Hell SFIV wasn't even done by capcom, still a good game not dissing it.

Also you guys look at SFIV and capcom as the model to follow when it comes to fighting games, when it clearly is Namco Bandai. Tekken averages #1 throughout the year (or #2 if there's a gundam game) in the Arcadia rankings, and they have done this throughout the years, and they take their time to port their games to consoles, and when they do so, they come out really well polished, if anything i hope XII gets ported in 2012 so that it comes really really polished and not get something next summer that is half assed.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Jeff, firstly you mean XIII.

Um, why do you think Capcom is rolling in money? Because they're doing something right. The arcadia ranking means shit on the global level. No one gives two shits what is popular in Japanese arcades, but have you seen what's going on in the US as of late? The Street Fighter series and MvC3 are more popular than they've been in a decade. And why is who distributes a game even important? When you play KOF XIII you never even see Konami's name flash on the screen anywhere. If KOF XIII doesn't come out by the end of March then I doubt we'll ever see it on consoles.

Maybe we're losing our shit for no reason and everything will get outsourced. I guess they've been doing that for years, just no 'in house' development, maybe that won't be such a bad thing. Although I think they ought to do something new and interesting with their IPs, like make another RPG or anything but those stupid fucking DS games they make.

Last edited:

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
I agree somewhat with both sides of this discussion. My faith in the company has kinda gone down quite a bit over the years, but at least I do have to say that whatever they choose to do, I will still follow them until even SNKP goes away.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member

something not so trivial
those artists and sprite designers that made kof xi and xii and xii are the last of a kind

just a practical one :
10 years ago

in other words,only those people at snk could create kof xiii
if they are gone,there is no kof or gekka or whatever

personally,i have always been a fan of the mvs / neo geo more than an snk fan
so i didn't really care for kof xi even though it was pretty good
i stopped playing kof with 2003

but i still play all those neo geo games like crazy,i am still loving them
probably now more than ever
i am still discovering new stuff,secrets,etc
stuff that probably no one knows (outside japan)

and,btw,eikichi kawasaki hasn't been part of the company for a while now
basically the neo and snk died when he left
was he really a boxer anyway ?

MUTHAFUCKIN TROOF

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

hey faggot, if you're finding secrets/hidden gems in SNK games, then why don't YOU post about them

otherwise i'm not sure what you want us to talk about
another 'MOTW is the best game ever' thread?
another 'i wish they made last blade 3' thread?
if you want to talk neo,
then start the conversation
ass

thanks

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Eh Fran has a point, Capcom is going in a direction (and has for a while now) that pretty much alienates SNK's IP's so saying that they'll take them on is a pipedream at best.

Still I think the care level needs to go down, who really gives a fuck? Are you in SNKP's game dev team? you losing a job? No.

Last edited:

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah. I just read the recent news by gamestop. Glad that SNK is still going, even with a major part of the staff leaving.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

I wouldn't be so sure. Depending on how you spin it, SNK's official clarification and the original rumor say almost the same thing. "Committed to publishing games in the future" and "pooping out ports of old stuff on cell phones"...what's the difference?

What are they committed to producing, what platform will it be on, and who the fuck is going to actually make it? Without staff and funding its just...KOF Volleyball for iMode all over again, or that bullshit Shikigami no Shiro rip-off for PSP.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Let others with the passion and creativity take the ips to new heights.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig

something not so trivial

just a practical one :
10 years ago

You are such a fruitcake. SF4/SSF4 are not shallow by any means. They are easy to get into, but has enough depth. Capcom created a game that has the right amount of stuff that appeals to everyone, casual and hardcore. Don't be mad that snk couldn't do the same. You want to talk shallow? Look no further than KOF 12. Brain dead combos/counter system and shallow replay value on top of that. The casuals don't even care about the game to begin with. KOF 13 is good though.

LMAO at SF4/SSF4 being easy to make. I am sure you have the knowledge and talent to make the game like capcom can. You can take your precious neo and shove it up your ass, son. I know that you are having buyer's remorse for shelling out so much money over the years to play those cart games that I can play for free with online anytime.

Last edited:
So SNKP isn't calling it quits after all? Saw it coming.
Notice how that statement said nothing about any "new" games?
I have a feeling it will be pretty much the same SNKP business plan as last year (more emphasis on cell phone games, pachislot machines and downloadable ports, only difference being the possibility of a KOF XIII port before the end of the year).

And yet, that's fine by me. Any new game they've tried to release over the last 4 1/2 years not named KOF has had one or a number of defects. Frankly, I'd rather see all the good Neo-Geo games released to Neo-Geo Station, XBLA and Wii VC. I'm getting really tired of this "exclusitivity" attitude; good games are meant to be played and shared with one another, not tied down to an obsolete system never to be experienced by newer (or slightly older) generations of fans. Sure, I'll take some flack for this statement, but after having hosted panels based on the Saturn, Dreamcast and Neo-Geo, nothing beats hearing someone say, "I never knew this game existed!", and seeing their face light up afterwards.

With that said, I'm keeping my expectations low. It may be awhile before we see another new KOF game (or any other new console and/or arcade games, for that matter), we'll see a ton more cell phone games and a couple pachislot machines with SNK Gals' likenesses on them, and the netcode may not reach the standards held by NGBC's XBLA release, but being the semi-optimist that I am, I have a feeling they'll get something right.
If they don't, then I predict they'll be heading the way of Psikyo or Data East.

(And if they do outsource their games, why hasn't anyone suggested GIMPS or Examu, a.k.a. the entity formerly known as Yuki Enterprise?)

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
And yet, that's fine by me. Any new game they've tried to release over the last 4 1/2 years not named KOF has had one or a number of defects. Frankly, I'd rather see all the good Neo-Geo games released to Neo-Geo Station, XBLA and Wii VC. I'm getting really tired of this "exclusitivity" attitude; good games are meant to be played and shared with one another, not tied down to an obsolete system never to be experienced by newer (or slightly older) generations of fans. Sure, I'll take some flack for this statement, but after having hosted panels based on the Saturn, Dreamcast and Neo-Geo, nothing beats hearing someone say, "I never knew this game existed!", and seeing their face light up afterwards.

I agree that such games should be enjoyed by old and current gen gamers alike. I may not like the ports of the games due to their slight inaccuracies to the original system's hardware, but getting more fans to support the franchise is always a good thing.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Honestly it would've been sad to see SNKP go. Yeah they're not the same, but there have been a few ok games from them. I think they should probably do new low budget DLC games for consoles. That way if a game fails it wouldn't be as huge of a loss for them as say KOF XII was.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
so hum SNKP is going away...ok...its strange since its been such a Neo Geo / SNK weeks for me. i'm in Macao/ Hong Kong for a month now. I since arrived bought AES Mark of the Wolves, a friend of mine bought a new "in the box" AES along with a few home carts.We have searched for every arcade in this region and most of them are full of KOF, Metal Slug, Sengoku, Aero Fighters and others. i mean 90% of 2d games in these arcades are NEO GEO.
we go to gamestores, Video stores or toy stores and theres ALWAYS that King of Fighters, Garou or Samurai Shodown posters on the wall.
When my friend bought the AES, the store guy plugged the system to make sure it was ok, you had the see the smiling in is face and how people gather to watch the beast working.
ahhhh good times.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
hey faggot, if you're finding secrets/hidden gems in SNK games, then why don't YOU post about them

otherwise i'm not sure what you want us to talk about
another 'MOTW is the best game ever' thread?
another 'i wish they made last blade 3' thread?
if you want to talk neo,
then start the conversation
ass

thanks

100% Agreed. I've been saying this for years.

There is nothing that hasn't been covered on this site, if you long for that discussion, search the OLD site, because that's pretty much it for the NeoGeo stuff.

Noobs, rehashes of old threads and stupid polls on crap no one cares about is about all that is left to yammer on about.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
What a bad language. What a bad attitude. Take it easy guys. You'll live more.

If any SNK employee sees this, think about (anonymously) publishing source code before SNK IP could be destroyed or lost in any old hard disk. Think deeply about it, please.
All your work destroyed, lost or whored out...
All that protos or unfinished work...
Sooo many (late) hours of work...
LOST??

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Good riddance. The shit should have stopped ages ago with the dry humping of the dusty remains of SNK.

Hope it's just a rumor, and that the response from the officials isn't just PR spin.

I recently made a thread raging on how a lack of diversity in their recent (and past) product has most likely played a role in their current situation. They should have reversed this process a long-ass time ago.

Hopefully, there's still time left to begin doing so.

To those saying "good riddance," would you have a change of heart if SNKP were to start developing other IP's instead of just mainly fighters and shumps?