KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

the frame animation seems identical...can be a good sign
Yeah, heaven forbid they ever develop a new game. Let's keep that frame animation the same forever, regardless of how poorly it translates from 2D to 3D. Let's keep the animation comfortably choppy and artificial, the way KOF fans and their paralyzing fear of change like it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNKP is in a no win situation in that regard. They change things, people bitch. They keep them the same, people bitch. They makes changes while keeping it mostly the same, people bitch.

SNK fans are some of the most rigid and stubborn of any group in that way.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The only winning move is to not play. Let kof die.

Make a new fatal fury instead!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
SNKP is in a no win situation in that regard. They change things, people bitch.

And the fact they listened to the idiot fans is what caused their death. They'd take a half-step forward, the fans would bitch, so they'd chicken out and go back to what they were doing before as their audience shrunk and shrunk. They went from industry leaders to relics because they didn't have the confidence to ignore us, the hardcore fandom, and they allowed us smother the life out of them.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's exactly what happened with KOF13. KOF12 was a fantastic first step (Which could have been done better but that's another story) and in the right direction. KOF13 was basically a step backwards, yes the game plays awesome, no doubt, but KOF12 brought different things to the table and graphically it was leaps and bounds to anything else 2D seen to date, I felt it was evolutionary, gorgeous, too bad SNKP is just so wishy washi. I mean KOF13 was great but what did that do for SNKP? Everybody is done playing it...had they stock to their guns with a KOF13 that took off from were KOF12 left it would have been tremendous, it would have set a new standard for KOF, a graphic engine that could have been used for at least 4 KOFs year after year, or every other year, they had it...so close and then...just let go, solely 'cause they listen to douchebags telling them that the art is too weird or whatever, really lame, a shame, really.

I've always had this love for SNK but a true hatred for their fanboys. You can blame it on the pink duffle bag chasers, the carpet boys, the salivating drones over manufactured standards, all that horse shit.

...all them dreams I had for KOF12 starting something awesome washed away 'cause people don't know any better...was SNK asking people for their opinion about what to do with KOF...no! SNKP should have done the same. There's a balance to everything and listening to the fans is great and all but gee, don't loose the god damn vision.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The only winning move is to not play. Let kof die.

Make a new fatal fury instead!

i'm going to agree with you there.for most fans,kof has been dead since kof 11 any way.plus,there hasn't been much of a change in each instalment,and we have twelve of them not including the maximum impact games.twelve games that play identically,we don't need any more.the series has had a great run,the fans are happy with what they already have so they should just let kof die.

fatal fury on the other hand has been interesting with almost each instalment.it would be awesome and totally fresh if they gave us a fatal fury 4,real bout 3 or a sequel to mark of the wolves which the fans want so much. maybe even a art of fighting game in the style of mark of the wolves.that would be sweet.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Damn what KOF games have you been playing?! I'll admit KOF hasn't been up to the standards since KOF 2000 but even still, each KOF has been different enough from one to another.

Elder

NEST Puppet
And the fact they listened to the idiot fans is what caused their death. They'd take a half-step forward, the fans would bitch, so they'd chicken out and go back to what they were doing before as their audience shrunk and shrunk. They went from industry leaders to relics because they didn't have the confidence to ignore us, the hardcore fandom, and they allowed us smother the life out of them.

This is quoted for truth in many ways. Seriously SNK had such a bright future at one point in time, but backed down time and again. Their market shrunk all around them until they eventually died, mostly because they tried to appease the most hardcore of hardcore fans. They should have done all they could to continue to innovate and grow their market. Sure they would have pissed off some of their fans, but if they were still around, and an important part of the industry I doubt many of us would truly care that much. I mean outside of KOF what else do we even get released on consoles these days? Nada.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Damn what KOF games have you been playing?! I'll admit KOF hasn't been up to the standards since KOF 2000 but even still, each KOF has been different enough from one to another.

just not different enough.fatal fury special to real bout special was a huge leap. kof 96 to kof 98 or 00 to 02,not so much.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
just not different enough.fatal fury special to real bout special was a huge leap. kof 96 to kof 98 or 00 to 02,not so much.

lol, maybe not graphically (character sprite touches at best) but each of those KOFs play differently. Fatal Fury Special and Real Bout Special are two different eras, you're not making an apples to apples comparison here.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

Hardcore fans? LMAO

In the street fighter 5 thread, someone mentioned Capcoms online poll for who else should make the cut and the results are overwhelmingly asking for this:
ingrid-fanart.jpg

A magical kid with tits.

Are Abster and Saner hardcore fans? One of them wants to fuck Cham Cham with Galfords cock (he paid an internet artist 200 irl dollars to comission a picture depicting this) and the other wants to lure Momoko into his van and make sweet, sweet rape to her.

Capcom has similar "hardcore" fans but they also have the good sense (and marketing skills) to ignore this vocal minority and play it smart with more universally appealing character designs.

OLD SNK could hang with Capcom when their protagonists (and antagonists) were buff badass martial artists; Capcom maintains its relevance by continuing things in this direction.

Conversely, KOF continues its slide into further obscurity by playing it safe with the assured customer loyalty of proven degenerates like Tasuke....but their slice of the pie will keep shrinking as these fucks keep finding other shit to jack off to.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Hardcore fans? LMAO

In the street fighter 5 thread, someone mentioned Capcoms online poll for who else should make the cut and the results are overwhelmingly asking for this:
View attachment 30192

A magical kid with tits.

Are Abster and Saner hardcore fans? One of them wants to fuck Cham Cham with Galfords cock (he paid an internet artist 200 irl dollars to comission a picture depicting this) and the other wants to lure Momoko into his van and make sweet, sweet rape to her.

Capcom has similar "hardcore" fans but they also have the good sense (and marketing skills) to ignore this vocal minority and play it smart with more universally appealing character designs.

OLD SNK could hang with Capcom when their protagonists (and antagonists) were buff badass martial artists; Capcom maintains its relevance by continuing things in this direction.

Conversely, KOF continues its slide into further obscurity by playing it safe with the assured customer loyalty of proven degenerates like Tasuke....but their slice of the pie will keep shrinking as these fucks keep finding other shit to jack off to.

So let me get this straight, people actually hated how the art and sprites looked in XIII that it might have made SNK change such a great thing into what we see in that new trailer? Also, why does this Company just drop game designs and never come back to them ever again? I get that they have changed so many hands through money problems, but I don't ever see many people talking shit about any of their classic games. I mostly see people showing mad respect for them or remembering good times while playing them.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hardcore fans? LMAO

View attachment 30192

A magical kid with tits.

So much truth... it hurts.

KOF used to really be the king when it was still the dream match. The best fighters from all of SNK's ips coming together to slug it out. After they quit making new art of fightings and fatal furies it just wasn't as grand anymore. Now it's just a collection of random characters from 2 decades ago with a bunch of new junk thrown in.

Sure the gameplay has been awesome up to 13, but outside of that it's hard for me to care about the series. I'd rather see SNK revive their older series or come up with a brand new ip or 2. Then they can have another KOF that does what KOF used to do, bring all the greatest bits together for a slugfest!

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hardcore fans? LMAO

And that's why developers should never listen to the self-appointed hardcore fans. It's why SNK and Capcom's best work was done before the internet allowed any mentally diseased shut-in voice their idiotic opinion so incessantly that it made regular working people developers who actually had some sense start to second guess themselves and go down these kinds of doll-fucking rabbit holes.

And what do you mean by "Abster AND Saner"?

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
KOF xiii sprites were good. The gameplay was stellar. Easier to get into, yet challenging enough. KOF xiv looks like a pile of crap. Even this supposedly improved trailer showed how lame kyo looked. That was a pathetic look for a main character of the series. Animations looks stiff, background looks so ps2 era, music is gay as fuck and the gameplay lacks that "oomph" previous entries had even though the same combo was shown.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
yes.we already have all the king of fighters games we need.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
That's exactly what happened with KOF13. KOF12 was a fantastic first step (Which could have been done better but that's another story) and in the right direction. KOF13 was basically a step backwards, yes the game plays awesome, no doubt, but KOF12 brought different things to the table and graphically it was leaps and bounds to anything else 2D seen to date, I felt it was evolutionary, gorgeous, too bad SNKP is just so wishy washi. I mean KOF13 was great but what did that do for SNKP? Everybody is done playing it...had they stock to their guns with a KOF13 that took off from were KOF12 left it would have been tremendous, it would have set a new standard for KOF, a graphic engine that could have been used for at least 4 KOFs year after year, or every other year, they had it...so close and then...just let go, solely 'cause they listen to douchebags telling them that the art is too weird or whatever, really lame, a shame, really.

I've always had this love for SNK but a true hatred for their fanboys. You can blame it on the pink duffle bag chasers, the carpet boys, the salivating drones over manufactured standards, all that horse shit.

...all them dreams I had for KOF12 starting something awesome washed away 'cause people don't know any better...was SNK asking people for their opinion about what to do with KOF...no! SNKP should have done the same. There's a balance to everything and listening to the fans is great and all but gee, don't loose the god damn vision.

You know you mention this quite a bit, but it always confused me. Why do you think KOF XII is so much better then KOF XIII?

I doubt you are merely referring to the size of the characters in XII being the main focal point. Are you pissed because XII was showing quite a well balanced game (except for the critical counter sillyness), and XIII felt compelled to introduce the HD mode which basically breaks the game for a short period of time and makes certain characters ridiculously powerful?

Is there something else I didn't see in XII that makes it a much superior game? I have to admit I haven't payed it much since XIII's release.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if they even get HALF of the names on this list into the final product.
To me, right now it looks like an Atomiswave fighter circa 2005 and moves like an MMORPG. I'm hoping it'll improve on both those fronts by the time KOF XV is released for the PS4. (I know what I said, and if history has taught me anything, SNKP is the company that gets it right the second time, thus I'm looking forward to the trainwreck that will most likely be KOF XIV. However, if the game itself turns out to be as bad as the past two videos have shown, don't be surprised if SNKP is eventually absorbed into Leyou Millenium and all IPs are produced in China...)

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
well... I like a bit of campiness when it comes to these games. I like the trashy atomiswave look that may end up being the look of the final game. I'm ok with this looking like a middle ground japanese console/arcade fighting game.
KOFXII/XIII = bad taste and weird
KOFXIV = trashy and generic
I'll take the second over the first.
I know I'm not adding anything to this thread.
as I said before though, I really miss the urban fighting feel of games back in the early-mid 90s. South Town, those where the days.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
To be honest, I do prefer shaking things up and experimenting with the formula over incremental changes at this point in time. We had an era of yearly games and luckily got KOF 98 out of that well-funded machine, but most of the other games are fun diversions -- nothing worth sinking tons of time into.

SNKP is a company that has shown to get things right the second time around, but this game truly seems like an oddity, what with the reused animations.

KOF XIII IS a great game, but aesthetically, there were two major things that didn't sit well with me:
1) Half-ass redesigns. Some of the characters were changed while others reverted to earlier designs. It just seemed strange and off-putting.
2) The overall style did not benefit the female characters. Yuri looked more frail, King was over sexualized, Mai went from campy to kind of gross, Athena suddenly looks like a doll.

So what if Kyo and Iori look like pretty boys? Of the 4 characters shown so far, every single one has undergone a visual redesign. This is some actual growth and change aesthetically, which I think is a step in the right direction.

Shanadria

New Challenger
Reminds me a lot to the Bloody Roar series...good gameplay, regular graphics...

Why dont SNKP make a deal with Dimps or something?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Frankly, I'd be surprised if they even get HALF of the names on this list into the final product.
To me, right now it looks like an Atomiswave fighter circa 2005 and plays like an MMORPG. I'm hoping it'll improve on both those fronts by the time KOF XV is released for the PS4. (I know what I said, and if history has taught me anything, SNKP is the company that gets it right the second time, thus I'm looking forward to the trainwreck that will most likely be KOF XIV. However, if the game itself turns out to be as bad as the past two videos have shown, don't be surprised if SNKP is eventually absorbed into Leyou Millenium and all IPs are produced in China...)

I'm confused. You're saying KOF XIV plays like an MMORPG? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm confused. You're saying KOF XIV plays like an MMORPG? That doesn't make any sense.

Oops- grammatical goof. What I meant to say to say is that is moves like an MMORPG with a bit of lag.
Back on topic, what concerns me most is that SNKP has never been able to get a complete grasp on 3D gameplay (see the "tripped-up" slowdown in KOF: Maximum Impact 1, 2 and Regulation A). Factor in their history of being notoriously slow when it comes to adapting to new technology (even during the original SNK era), and that pretty much sums up why I'm keeping my expectations low (amongst other aforementioned factors).