KOF99 goodness

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Just wanted to say that I love KOF99. For the past 3 years KOF98 has been at number one of my all time favorite game ever. I think 99 is slowly inching its way up there. I played it a while ago and never really gave it a chance, then I got the DC version cause Iwanted to see what the backgrounds looked like and get to have Alfred as a striker, then I finnaly got a good deal on it for MVS. The game completely rocks. It is much deeper than I once thought, and all the characters that I thought were changed for the worse, are changed for the better. SNK really put alot of effort into the game. Now I really cant wait to play 2000.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Couldn't have put it better meself

Put simply - genius
You are bang on the money it is quality
every bit as good as kof 98

and after you forget the initial feeling of..

y'know

an anticlimax

after that

and if you aint narrow minded and all

then kof 99 is the best kof ever

if only

if only i could use all those chars they
cruelly removed...

ahhh......
my sweet innocent,cherubic Shermie......

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
I can agree and disagree with the above statements. I really like some of the new moves they've added to some of the characters in '99, but some characters got changed for the worse. For example, Terry Bogard's "Lightening Tackle" move getting made into a charge up move (as compared to the upper-cut motion in '98 to pull off) I think really bites. Also, how in the hell do you pull off his "Power Dunk" in '99? I've seen the computer do it, but I haven't had any luck with it.

Robert Garcia is another change made for the worse. Not only did they regress in his cool appearance (going back to his old duds instead of his cool blue jacket), but they made almost all his moves charge up type moves. Why?! He was already devastating, did they want to cripple him up or something? I don't get it...

As for the new characters, I like them a lot for the most part. Particularly K' and Jhun. Maxima leaves a little to be desired, but maybe he'll get polished up in '2K. I still miss getting to play as Team USA from '98, and not to mention the totally awesome New Face Team as well.

One thing I definitely don't care a lot for in '99 is the lack of stages. '98 had six, '99 has five. Again, why? Granted the stages look great (especially the rain stage, beautiful!), but I can't understand why they'd drop the number of stages. And just a petty gripe here: Kryzalid can never be as cool as Rugal. Rugal is almost the epitomy of badass villains (though Geese Howard is his superior), and it was a shame to see pretty much a "psychotic K'" as the last boss.

I know I'm getting anxious as hell waiting on KOF '2K, is anybody else?

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
Yeah; how DO you pull off the Power Dunk move? I've done the move once, only to never do it again. It is one of the cooler moves of Terry in King of Fighters, so it sucks that you can't pull it off anymore. I like Garou-Terry better myself.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I like KOF 99 myself. I just got the DC port of it, and it's good enough to warrent not getting the AES/MVS cart--though brand new $159 KOF 99 AES did really tempt me. Never had problem w/ pulling of power dunk--it's a dragon punch "Z" motion w/ kick. If you did it on recent KOF and RealBout sereis, you shuldn't have any trouble. Maybe it's the joystick. I wonder if loosing the controller helps like w/ other systems?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Just a quick reply to those who asked about Terry's power dunk. You can only do the dunk as a combo off the power charge if the move connects (blocked or unblocked). Do the power charge (qcf and kick) then the INSTANT it connects do the dragon punch motion and kick for the dunk. It sounds like Terry is saying, "Power Charge'N DUNK!" Dont know. I particularly like Terry in 99 better than 98 now that I've messed around with him more. He can be as cheep as he could be in 96-98. His Rising Tackle could counter anything, and I mean anything, now it cant, which is good and bad. I think you have to use more stragety with him in this one. And about Robert andy any other characters that had trastic changes like Mai (my beloved bouncy lady) and Andy....That is what is so great about SNK games. The characters CHANGE, sometimes drasticaly. It keeps things fresh. Unlike...oh I dont know...capcom.. :-)

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
exactly

aint that cool or what?

power dunk only after a power charge

hats off,eh?

by the way
me thinks terry '97 is the strongest so far

but '99 is the runner up

deffo

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
haha, I know I'm gonna get bashed for this but here goes... My favorite KoF game is KoF95.....the graphics and the way the game plays just make me want to come back for more and more and more and more and...well you get the point...anyways it's not like U don't play my other KoF games, I love 96, and 98...but 95 is the best by far in my opinion....anybody else with me on this one?

Bryan -FUCK NGF-

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Actually, my favorite was 95 as well, until recently. For now, it's 96. What I liked about 95 was that I think that it was the last KOF to have charcters that seemed "unique", like in super specials. Also, I liked the difficulty factor. maybe it's only fault (?) maybe the obscene damage factor. The match can be over fairly quickly.

C

Caris Nautilus

Originally posted by yagamikun:
Just a quick reply to those who asked about Terry's power dunk. You can only do the dunk as a combo off the power charge if the move connects (blocked or unblocked). Do the power charge (qcf and kick) then the INSTANT it connects do the dragon punch motion and kick for the dunk. It sounds like Terry is saying, "Power Charge'N DUNK!" Dont know. I particularly like Terry in 99 better than 98 now that I've messed around with him more. He can be as cheep as he could be in 96-98. His Rising Tackle could counter anything, and I mean anything, now it cant, which is good and bad. I think you have to use more stragety with him in this one. And about Robert andy any other characters that had trastic changes like Mai (my beloved bouncy lady) and Andy....That is what is so great about SNK games. The characters CHANGE, sometimes drasticaly. It keeps things fresh. Unlike...oh I dont know...capcom.. :-)

Yea it's the same in fatal fury wild ambition, I was going crazy because I couldnt pull it off, But it's a chain move now and not 2 seperate moves.

KOF 99 is a good game, But KOF 98 is the all time best KOF game (I havnt played 2k tho).

The orochi and USA teams were my fav teams of all time, So them both getting taken out of 99 sucked, And 98 has a better feel to it, Something about 99 makes it feel not that good and somethings missing.

The park stage where it's raining in the DC version is an amazing stage though

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I personaly like the Rain stage better in the MVS/AES version of 99 better. There seems to be more rain, and it looks alot more convincing on a 2d background because the rain in the DC version is still 2D, not 3D. Just my Opinion. I cant stand neo conversions. The DC version is alright, but I'll take the larger characters, higher resolution, and fully 2D game any day over the DC version. I have both the DC and MVS version. As for Andy Bogard, he is in EVERY KOF game to date, including 98. That is the game that I got good with him in. He is now one of my best characters.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Right. As for the Orochi team/New Face team, they appeared on KOF 97. They were: Yashiro, Shermie, and Chris (who is a vessel for Orochi).