Korean Crown Cabinets: Opinions/Expertise/Ownership?

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums, and was wondering if anyone owned a Korean made Crown cab or have had any experience working on one first hand?

General opinions, snarky comments, and all such Tom-foolery are welcome!

Thanks!

fox

n00b
I just sold my crowin cwc-202. Easy to work on, quality is great. Can replace thier parts with generic ones if needed. <i bought new buttons off ebay and you can get original sticks for about $20 each. Rotating the monitor is not too bad if needed, and the monitor in mine was a wells- gardner 25" with good color. power supplies are supposed to be a little jinky, but i never had an issue with mine.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
*Disclaimer 1* I've never seen a Crown IRL.

My feeling is even IF this was the most awesome cab on the planet, its a Korean clone. My inner snob will never allow me to feel good about owning a clone, it would keep me up at night thinking about it. If you have no such hangup I see no reason why this should stop you. I was looking at the Kraylix kits for sale, which honestly are great reproductions and oh so affordable when compared with a real Vewlix. I know myself tho, I wouldn't be able to appreciate it for what it was. It would only serve as a constant reminder of inferiority, driving me totally insane.

*Disclaimer 2* I may already be totally insane.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

Yep. I for one appreciate the effort that arcade manufacturers go to in order to make their crazy contraptions that let people play games on them. I only dislike them when arcade OWNERS fuck it all up with conversions that are bad are dumb or MAME (with rare exception).

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I haven't seen the crowns with my own eyes but, I was in a warehouse a few months ago that had some of these:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...cal-arcade..&p=3334925&viewfull=1#post3334925

sad part was they didn't look any where near this good. They were completely trashed. In some ways I agree with you on the "knock-offs" jass, but if I could find one for the right price, in decent shape, I doubt I would turn it down, especially if it had a 38' monitor like these bad boys:D I probably just wouldn't make it my showcase cab, hell I might even put a shitty game in it like Legend of success Joe, just to make it really seem like the bastard cousin:kekeke:

cgbartek

Crazed MVS Addict
I used to own 2 CWC-203 Crowins. Worked nice, had nice monitors, and never gave me trouble. One quirk I remember was the JAMMA harnesses were slightly undersized and drove me nuts, and the cabinets are mostly wood, with a vinyl grey laminate that gets damaged easily.

I liked them, and they were better quality than Chinese cabs, but in the end you can't change the fact that they are the Kia of candies :) Kinda wish I still had them though.

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
*Disclaimer 1* I've never seen a Crown IRL.

My feeling is even IF this was the most awesome cab on the planet, its a Korean clone. My inner snob will never allow me to feel good about owning a clone, it would keep me up at night thinking about it. If you have no such hangup I see no reason why this should stop you. I was looking at the Kraylix kits for sale, which honestly are great reproductions and oh so affordable when compared with a real Vewlix. I know myself tho, I wouldn't be able to appreciate it for what it was. It would only serve as a constant reminder of inferiority, driving me totally insane.

As a collector, I feel the same way..but I just can't get over how CHEAP and AWESOME they are...or so I'm told. ;)

Kind of like riding a moped if you catch my drift.

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
I used to own 2 CWC-203 Crowins. Worked nice, had nice monitors, and never gave me trouble. One quirk I remember was the JAMMA harnesses were slightly undersized and drove me nuts, and the cabinets are mostly wood, with a vinyl grey laminate that gets damaged easily.

I liked them, and they were better quality than Chinese cabs, but in the end you can't change the fact that they are the Kia of candies :) Kinda wish I still had them though.

Mostly wood and vinyl...wow, I did not know that. I Thanks for this, exactly the kind of information that I was looking for!

I have a guy offering to sell me a 203 in pretty good shape (from pictures...) for $375 and it's close enough for me to pick up. Thoughts? Worth it?

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
I haven't seen the crowns with my own eyes but, I was in a warehouse a few months ago that had some of these:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...cal-arcade..&p=3334925&viewfull=1#post3334925

sad part was they didn't look any where near this good. They were completely trashed. In some ways I agree with you on the "knock-offs" jass, but if I could find one for the right price, in decent shape, I doubt I would turn it down, especially if it had a 38' monitor like these bad boys:D I probably just wouldn't make it my showcase cab, hell I might even put a shitty game in it like Legend of success Joe, just to make it really seem like the bastard cousin:kekeke:

Those are essentially Blast City cabs...right?

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
I just sold my crowin cwc-202. Easy to work on, quality is great. Can replace thier parts with generic ones if needed. <i bought new buttons off ebay and you can get original sticks for about $20 each. Rotating the monitor is not too bad if needed, and the monitor in mine was a wells- gardner 25" with good color. power supplies are supposed to be a little jinky, but i never had an issue with mine.

Great info, thanks! I have a guy wanting to sell me his 203 for $375. It's in decent shape from what I can tell from the pictures, and is 100% functioning with no issues (supposedly...). It's also close enough for me to pick up. Thoughts?

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Great info, thanks! I have a guy wanting to sell me his 203 for $375. It's in decent shape from what I can tell from the pictures, and is 100% functioning with no issues (supposedly...). It's also close enough for me to pick up. Thoughts?

I'd do it at that price, maybe even offer a little less, as long as it was all working ok. Like I said before, it wouldn't be the centerpiece of my collection, but it's still a working candy cab, do these things have the tri-sync you were looking for rob?

THE1337ROB

New Challenger
I'd do it at that price, maybe even offer a little less, as long as it was all working ok. Like I said before, it wouldn't be the centerpiece of my collection, but it's still a working candy cab, do these things have the tri-sync you were looking for rob?

Certainly no tri-sync monitor in the Crowns. If I did buy this one, it would be in addition to a beater/project cab for my atomis wave and naomi. It would definitely be the ugly duckling of the family. It sounds hilarious, but I really, really identify with what Jass said....maybe I'm insane too. It would drive me nuts to know that I had a cheap knock-off....no matter how great or fun it might be to play! Maybe it could go in the garage and I could let my "pizza finger" nephews play it....

I've actually played on one before but haven't ever done a thorough look-through of the hardware.

Mugicha; sorry about the misunderstanding in the other thread!

best

fox

n00b
i sold mine for 600 with a 161 ibn 1 cart installed. mine was pretty clean though.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Certainly no tri-sync monitor in the Crowns. If I did buy this one, it would be in addition to a beater/project cab for my atomis wave and naomi. It would definitely be the ugly duckling of the family. It sounds hilarious, but I really, really identify with what Jass said....maybe I'm insane too. It would drive me nuts to know that I had a cheap knock-off....no matter how great or fun it might be to play! Maybe it could go in the garage and I could let my "pizza finger" nephews play it....

I've actually played on one before but haven't ever done a thorough look-through of the hardware.

Mugicha; sorry about the misunderstanding in the other thread!

best

no worries at all brutha, s'all good, you deserve an official welcome to the boards! I just recently bumped my numbers from 1, to 3 cabs last month. I've got a 2br house, and I have space for more, but I don't think I would want anymore, however like I stated before I would NOT turn down a deal on something like these, and it may not be a genuine Japanese candy cab but by gum it's still a candy, and it's one that's not nearly as common stateside either, in a way that makes it kinda neat imo.

another post from the thread I linked before, from FLTCHRR's trip to Korea, some great pics. I love the room with the boards, the red neo carts, and the grey cps2.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...cal-arcade..&p=3365547&viewfull=1#post3365547