Kraut Buster New NGDEV - 2015

Arm

n00b
got my package last night; had a couple hours with the game... -intro / attract demo is epic, they went all out. Same goes for world map and character select. How to play screen also robust. Polish everywhere.

Glad you like the intro. I was the person who directed it and created the storyboard/pixel animatic and layout/character design/posing for it as well as the ending and character select screen.
The pixel art was then adapted by the main game pixel artists to be in the same vein as the game. I know what I created but didnt see the final ingame version so I wonder how it looks.

Previously I was the character designer/illustrator and cutscene and opening animation director of piersolar/hd, tanglewood and vixen 357

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want Kraut, I want Kraut

Glad you like the intro. I was the person who directed it and created the storyboard/pixel animatic and layout/character design/posing for it as well as the ending and character select screen.
The pixel art was then adapted by the main game pixel artists to be in the same vein as the game. I know what I created but didnt see the final ingame version so I wonder how it looks.

Previously I was the character designer/illustrator and cutscene and opening animation director of piersolar/hd, tanglewood and vixen 357

youre-a-sexy-beast-baby-yeah-meme-generator-net-5003614.png

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want Kraut, I want Kraut

Sauerkraut?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener

I haven't seen the intro to Kraut Buster yet, but I'm looking forward to experiencing it for the first time after work tonight. I did play through Tanglewood and the cutscene and character work on that game was excellent. Keep up the good work!

Arm

n00b
I haven't seen the intro to Kraut Buster yet, but I'm looking forward to experiencing it for the first time after work tonight. I did play through Tanglewood and the cutscene and character work on that game was excellent. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I was the animation director on Tanglewood. I drew the majority of the animation frames of the main characters. As for piersolar which is an rpg that came out on the Megadrive in 2010, an hd version came out in 2014 featuring cutscene artworks as well as an handdrawn opening animation I created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gEVmedSG0k
As a side note, I also directed an animation short in 2004 which was submitted for a contest to the japanese anime studio 4C allowing it to be seen by numerous japanese anime and videogame studios back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLRGwVQOCUk

I hope you will like the opening of kraut buster. If the final ingame version is faithful to my pixelart animatic/board, it should be pretty dynamic and nice in terms of rythm and cinematography.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Thanks! I was the animation director on Tanglewood. I drew the majority of the animation frames of the main characters.

Arm, you did an amazing job with Tanglewood. I love that game. The animation for Nymn and Echo are a big part of making the game feel so much bigger than an Indie game.

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks. Glad you like my work.:)

I also like your work. And Very much enjoy what I've played of the game so far.

The game is much better than cyber lip and although it's no metal slug, I'm glad it's not there are 8.

It stands up on its own. I like the added features, especially like the weapons lock. Not to much of a fan of the slide but it's still great to have and can be quite useful but it seems like you can just slide right through the game, especially in 2 player (which is also pretty fun.) Does a great job of incorporating all 4 buttons and the joystick.

A few things I don't like, no vehicles yet. Don't know if there will be some later in the stage. Would be cool to get on some of those guns once you kill the man operating it.

the movement between foreground and background is only accessible by jumping up or down, I have not be able to walk up or down a path besides the path im on.

The timer seems to be stuck at 9:59. Haven't been able to figure out how to get it working or its purpose.

In general pretty minor stuff and will be looking forward to playing it through and finding more things to like our dislike

In general it's great and will be keeping this one. It's my favorite ng dev game so far.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Did they ditch the "mask" system?

No, the masks are still present in the "T-mode" game mode.

The game is much better than cyber lip and although it's no metal slug, I'm glad it's not there are 8.

A few things I don't like, no vehicles yet. Don't know if there will be some later in the stage. Would be cool to get on some of those guns once you kill the man operating it.

the movement between foreground and background is only accessible by jumping up or down, I have not be able to walk up or down a path besides the path im on.

The timer seems to be stuck at 9:59. Haven't been able to figure out how to get it working or its purpose.

I happen to like Cyber-Lip (that wasn't a dig in my post when I said KB reminded me of it).

As far as vehicles - keep playing, or more importantly, choose different routes. :D

Have not had any issues with the timer being stuck - it counts down for me. Which mode did you play and with what rank/setting?

Last edited:

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Great to hear about finding some vehicles

Have not had any issues with the timer being stuck - it counts down for me. Which mode did you play and with what rank/setting?[/QUOTE]

The default mode on hard. I'll look more into it tomorrow.

What's the purpose of the counter? Does it lil you once it gets to zero?

Mr Morden

n00b
Thanks! I was the animation director on Tanglewood. I drew the majority of the animation frames of the main characters. As for piersolar which is an rpg that came out on the Megadrive in 2010, an hd version came out in 2014 featuring cutscene artworks as well as an handdrawn opening animation I created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gEVmedSG0k
As a side note, I also directed an animation short in 2004 which was submitted for a contest to the japanese anime studio 4C allowing it to be seen by numerous japanese anime and videogame studios back then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLRGwVQOCUk

I hope you will like the opening of kraut buster. If the final ingame version is faithful to my pixelart animatic/board, it should be pretty dynamic and nice in terms of rythm and cinematography.

Cool impressive resume.

Any comment on the paprium developments since its being made by one of your old studios.
I am aware that very few people from the pier solar team worked on paprium and i assume you did not.
I would still like to know if you have any insight into the paprium campaign.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I happen to like Cyber-Lip (that wasn't a dig in my post when I said KB reminded me of it).

Cyber-Lip is great! It would actually be pretty awesome, if the DEV's deliberately took inspiration from it for KB. Cyber-Lip's story & punch-line are still one of a kind.

Arm

n00b
Cool impressive resume.

Any comment on the paprium developments since its being made by one of your old studios.
I am aware that very few people from the pier solar team worked on paprium and i assume you did not.
I would still like to know if you have any insight into the paprium campaign.

Thanks. :)After piersolar, I worked on the fmv animations and character designs of the remake by WM of the masaya trpg vixen 357 which is still planned but there is no date.
Concerning paprium, I have heard lately by Fonzie (WM boss) that the game manufacture should start in about a month. I have no guarantee but this is what he told me.

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Cyber-Lip is great! It would actually be pretty awesome, if the DEV's deliberately took inspiration from it for KB. Cyber-Lip's story & punch-line are still one of a kind.
giphy2.gif
well, äh, well, äh, no. Cyber Lip is not piece of crap and still its not good. It´s just average in graphics, gameplay and sound. Even the cover is shitty like FF1

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I too like Cyber-Lip. However the lack of 8 way shooting really, really makes it hard to enjoy.

If anyone out there is up to a challenge, that is a game that could use a hacked version with 8 way shooting.

ohhh and fix Sengoku's terrible, terrible hit detection. Great graphics, awesome music, fucking god awful hit detection.

Missile

Another Striker
It's great to see people are enjoying the game so far. The real proof will be what people think of the game after a few weeks. My Kraut Buster is the 2nd print on AES, so I guess I will be waiting for a while.

I have to say I was disappointed with Cyber Lip at first but grew to love it. It's a good game but for some reason it felt a bit unresponsive/clunky to control until i got used to it

Maybe I’m in the minority but I would rather they release something polished to a professional standard that doesn’t push the hardware to its limit rather than something that doesn’t feel quite done because they tried to do too much.

I doubt there will be much flicker. I would say NGDevteam games are generally *a lot* better than the original games in terms of slowdown and flicker. Think about Metal Slug(1) or Shock Troopers. Great games but they both slow down a fair bit. From what I've heard Metal Slug only updates at 25fps and that's with team of maybe 15(?) people working on it. I love Metal Slug but slowdown when you are only updating at 25fps in the first place is quite an achievement. They surpassed that on the sequel :)

Also I have no idea how much NGDevteam earn from each game but I doubt this would be their full-time job? You can't really compare to a software developer from the 80s/90s who is doing this as their job all day every day.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
where did all this Benelux guys come from with such names like Arm, Aam, Ahm, Ähm, Arn... ? Whats that kind of a name anyway ? Sounds like they are sons from Jaehaerys Targaryen

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I too like Cyber-Lip. However the lack of 8 way shooting really, really makes it hard to enjoy.

If anyone out there is up to a challenge, that is a game that could use a hacked version with 8 way shooting.
The problem I mentioned in my video is when you're shooting up, if you bump left or right at all you end up walking that direction instead. It feels like you're not really in control.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
Concerning paprium, I have heard lately by Fonzie (WM boss) that the game manufacture should start in about a month. I have no guarantee but this is what he told me.

If WM begins manufacturing in a month, then you can call me the King of Siam (and the mods can change my rank to match).

Arm

n00b
where did all this Benelux guys come from with such names like Arm, Aam, Ahm, Ähm, Arn... ? Whats that kind of a name anyway ? Sounds like they are sons from Jaehaerys Targaryen

My full name is Armen.:)
To pva : I am not very sure either but this was what he told me. He said it was the period of holidays in China, the reason why he is waiting.

Last edited:

Buffi

Zero's Secretary
That is one hell of a cover art on the shock box.
Looking forward to mine, shipped just a few days ago.