Kuroko in Samurai Spirits Tenka

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I finally unlocked Kuroko in Samurai Spirits Tenka. As soon as I had unlocked him, the first thing I did was fire him up in Practice Mode and check out his movelist.

The bad news is that gameplay wise he's a completely different from the Kuroko we knew and loved in SS2.

The good news is that he's now got specials from a variety of different KOF characters. And like both Yoshitora and Kusaregedo, he's got a secret special and hiougi move you can pull off if you connect with each of the "KOF" specials.

Here are the seven special moves you need to do to perform his secret special and hiougi move:

A = weak
B = medium
C = strong

1) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Ichi - Yamibarai
:down: :downf: :forw: + A
(Iori's ground projectile)

2) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Ni - Pawaaweibu (Power Wave)
:down: :downf: :forw: + B
(Terry's ground projectile)

3) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan San - Kasane Ate
:down: :downf: :forw: + C (also performable in midair)
(Todo's projectile)

4) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Shi - Saikobooru (Psycho Ball)
:down: :downb: :back: + A
(Atena yess!)

5) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Go - Kurosukattaa (Cross Cutter)
hold :back: :forw: B
(Heidern's projectile)

6) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Roku - Kachousen
:down: :downb: :back: + C
(Mai's flying fan projectile)

7) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Shichi - Haohshoukouken
:forw: :back: :downb: :down: :downf: :forw: + C
(Ryo's super projectile)

8) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Hachi - Pawaageizaa (Power Geyser)
:down: :downb: :back: :downb: :forw: + A + C
(Terry's Power Geyser, duh)

If you connect with all of Specials 1-7 (the order doesn't matter, just as long as you connect, and you don't need to do Number 8) you can use the next secret special in the series:

0) Kuroko Hyakkyokudan Zero - Toripurugeizaa (Triple Geyser)
:down: :downb: :back: :downb: :forw: + A + C

For his win poses, Kuroko sometimes also turns his back to the player and throws off his mask. Since he's facing away from you all you can see is the back of his head, but sometimes he's got a blond ponytail (Terry), a red Harajuku haircut (Iori), Yoshitora's hair, or no hair at all (???)

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Awesome, some real great info.

kuroko5bg2.gif

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Sweet post. It really makes me want to dig out my copy of Tenka and try it out for myself. I've never unlocked him in Tenka though, is it tough to do?

tsukaesugi

Sweet post. It really makes me want to dig out my copy of Tenka and try it out for myself. I've never unlocked him in Tenka though, is it tough to do?

Yes and no.

"Yes", it's difficult because you have to clear arcade mode with 33 characters, which is time-consuming. Gaoh, the final boss, is also really cheap, and he's normally a bitch to defeat.

"No", because you can set the difficulty to easiest, your POW gauge to infinity, your mikiri gauge to 100%, your win points to 1, the CPU's win points to 5 etc. That way you can run through a roster of 33 characters as quickly as possible.

When it comes to fighting Gaoh cheaply, if you choose the 剣 Ken Spirits for your character, and have the POW gauge set to infinity, and the mikiri gauge at 100%, you can spam the weapon smash waza 武器飛ばし技:

:down: :downf: :forw: + A + B

...and the 秘奥儀 hiougi attack:

:down: :downf: :forw: + B + C

Just try and keep your distance from him, wait until he misses you with his spear thrust or his "power geyser" style projectile, then hit him with your hiougi or weapon smash waza. These moves usually have enough reach to hit him before he has a chance to recover, which is useful if you're trying to keep your distance (like you should be!)

He also seems to fall for jumping C's and grabs, but getting close to him can be dangerous.

Once his POW gauge is at full, DO NOT jump or perform any move which involves leaving the ground, 'cause he'll transform into his flying horseman form and whomp you, bigtime.

Last edited:

tsukaesugi

By the way, here are the rest of the unlockables for Tenka. (This info is from GameFAQ's)

??? Spirit - Finish arcade mode with all boss characters

Animal Spirit - Finish arcade mode with all animal companions

Gallery and Survival Mode - Finish arcade mode with one character

Play as Kim Wenchue (Gaira with hair) - Finish arcade mode with nine characters

Matsuri Spirit - Finish arcade mode with 24 characters

Play as Kuroko - Finish arcade mode with 33 characters including Genjuro, Nicotine, Cham Cham and Sieger then press Start + any button over any character to select him

Purple / Ex Nakoruru - Finish arcade mode with three characters

Rasetsu / Bust Galford - Finish arcade mode with six characters

Play as Champuru - Beat Arcade mode with Mina

Play as Paku Paku - Beat Arcade mode with Cham Cham and Tam Tam

Go Poppy! - Beat Arcade mode with Galford

Play as Shikuru and Mamahaha - Beat Arcade mode with Nakoruru and Rera

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Tsuka has already basically owned the available English info for this game, which is super fucking scarce. I may have to track down a cheap copy so I can play it again.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'm a bit confused. You have to connect with 7 specials before you can do the triple geyser. Does this mean per character in the game? I mean, let's say if land 7 of the specials in 2 rounds on the first character, can I do the triple geyser only on the first character, or can I now do it to any future character in the game? Is this CPU only, or if you play vs are all his moves already unlocked?

PS - Supers that require two button presses are for the birds anyway. What is it, 1993 again?

tsukaesugi

I may have to track down a cheap copy so I can play it again.

I dunno if you're still in Japan, but there's an "SNK Best Collection" version of Tenka that only goes for Y2500 or so. If you're back in the 'States you should see if Kunai can send you one.

I love the gameplay in Tenka. For those of you who haven't tried it yet, you can basically choose from every character who's ever been in a Samurai Spirits game, and then choose any engine ("spirits", like the "grooves" in CVS) from the past five games for that character. There's a ton of new characters, two all-new "spirits", and a customizable "spirit". Add these all together and the combinations are almost limitless.

RBJake and I have put the game through its paces a couple of times now, and I'm happy to report that it's hella fun in 2-player. (Champuru vs. Kusaregedo for the win)

So it's definitely a worthy purchase.

...but that being said, the BG's, BGM, and general all-around atmosphere seriously seriously sucks. I've never been a big complainer when it comes to missing blood and fatalities in the SS series, but with Tenka it's insult added to injury.

It's too bad that such a great game has such lousy presentation. It's all flair and finesse, and no balls.

tsukaesugi

I'm a bit confused. You have to connect with 7 specials before you can do the triple geyser. Does this mean per character in the game? I mean, let's say if land 7 of the specials in 2 rounds on the first character, can I do the triple geyser only on the first character, or can I now do it to any future character in the game? Is this CPU only, or if you play vs are all his moves already unlocked?

No, it's one round only (at least I think so, I'll have to doublecheck and report back). That's what makes it so difficult - by the time you hit with one of each of the seven specials, your opponent is almost dead. If you hit them with anything else, they die, and you can't pull off the secret moves.

On top of that, the secret moves don't even do that much more damage anyway. They're basically more like a very long and extended taunt. "Ha ha, I beat you with a secret super. PWNED!!!1!11"

PS - Supers that require two button presses are for the birds anyway. What is it, 1993 again?

What gets me isn't the two-buttons, it's the simple qcf supers. For SS it's a bad trend that started with SS0. Back when I though that pulling off a dp was challenging, the weapon smash wazas in SS2 blew me away. Now everything's a simple qcf.

But then again, I shouldn't complain 'cause spamming them is the only way I can beat Gaoh with half of the characters.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Man...I'm such a lazy dick. They finally put him back in the game and I can't be arsed to mod my PS2 and import this shit.

Not a fan of that large/chunky sprite they used for him though. For future installations a good rendition would be in that background from Battle Colosseum.

Anyway,
Will this game ever get into North America?
Did they forget about the compilation already?

I'm a little out of the loop (sorry for the derailment Tsuka).

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
What gets me isn't the two-buttons, it's the simple qcf supers. For SS it's a bad trend that started with SS0. Back when I though that pulling off a dp was challenging, the weapon smash wazas in SS2 blew me away. Now everything's a simple qcf.

Actually, supers shared the same motion starting with SS IV. That retarded :back::forw::downf::down: + :A::B: crap, ugh! :oh_no:

Amakusa's and Slash Haohmaru were the only classic super commands I had problems with (Excluding the super secret moves from SS II of course.)