Lair on PS3

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Yeah I know I know...it got very bad ratings because of the controls (forcing you to use the sixaxis), but now that the controls have been updated (from the download at the PSN) I was curious how many people think it will be worth the purchase? Im going to buy the game today just to see how good it is with the new controls since thats the only main thing that was bashed about the game. The music, graphics, and storyline are pretty much top notch so hopefully since the controls are fixed to allow you to control the dragon with the analog sticks I hope the game will be decent. If not then oh well..its only $64 bucks anyways.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new control scheme? Hopefully on the Projector the game will be quite nice.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I admit to some minor curiosity along the same lines as well, but I still was not real big on the mission structure.

And I also have been quite surprised that the game hasn't seen a bigger price drop.

Probably give it a rent, see if it's any fun now, but there were other disappointments in it, too, those maybe those will be easier to overlook with much-improved controls.

SSS

neo retired
this pos is still 60 bucks? I'd figure it would be in the bargain bin by now.

Fakk2

jro said:
I admit to some minor curiosity along the same lines as well, but I still was not real big on the mission structure.

And I also have been quite surprised that the game hasn't seen a bigger price drop.

Probably give it a rent, see if it's any fun now, but there were other disappointments in it, too, those maybe those will be easier to overlook with much-improved controls.

Well, I just bought the game...yes its still $59.95. I was also hoping for a price drop by now as Lost Planet is brand new and only $39.95 so I also bought Lost Planet as well while I was there. I also pre ordered MGS4 and the special edition of GTA IV. Hopefully this will keep me busy for awhile. :mr_t: I will play Lair on the projector tonight and let ya all know what I think bout it tomorrow morning. With improved controls it should end up being a decent title. I have wanted to buy it for ages now but refused to be forced into flying a dragon with sixaxis controls. Now that I can just use my analog sticks it should be fun like Warhawk now...only with dragons. :)

Thanks for your input jro. Its intresting to know you actually gave the game a try.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
You might want to check your local Target. I have two by me and one of them has it on clearance for around $30 (28 something).

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I bought a used copy today for $35.

It's a solid game, and using your dragon to devastate the enemy is a lot of fun. Unfortunately like other Factor 5 games, you don't get to enjoy yourself for long. Mission objectives will come flying at you constantly.

Also, I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or the game is just chaotic in nature but I have a hard time figuring out what's going on half the time. The enemies and friendlies all look the same unless you engage "rage vision".

It's fun but I think it's giving me a bit of a headache..

Fakk2

Well I've played it for a few hours and here what I think and how much I paid for mine.

Got mine from Best Buy for $59.95 before I knew about the Target sale yesterday. Today I went to Best Buy and told them how I paid for it yesterday and then found out about the sale at Target but the game was already opened and played so I asked if they can match the price that its for sale at Target. The lady looked online and saw that Target online is still selling them for $59.95 as well so she gave me this funny ass look and said its $59.95 at Target.

I told her to please call the Target across the street and ask them as I just came from that store and it was on Clearence for $29.95. So she called the target up and asked them and verified that it was indeed for sale at $29.95 so she gave me the $35 back onto my credit card. :mr_t: THANK YOU Gameoz for the heads up mate! I then gave her my $10 Best Buy rewards certificate and got $10 more off the price of the game. So I managed to snag the game brand new for only $19.95 as its for sale at $59.95. lol thats a killer deal IMO. fantastic.

Now for the game itself. I made it to stage 13 or something called the ancient bridge or something and find it to be very easy until this particular stage. Damn they want me to do alot of shit before they say stage complete. With the addition of better targeting and sights, Analogue controls, Rumble support, and all the Dragons unlocked in the stable it ended up being well worth the purchase price and I like the game very much. I find some missions to be rather long but not to overwhelming.

I do understand why it got bad ass reviews with the forcing people to use sixaxis controls, I tried it a couple stages and found it to be not very easy at all. The analogue controls simply rock for me in this game...sixaxis is great for flOw and Super Rub a Dub but not this damn game. Anyways, I love the music in the game and the sound fx are pretty nice also. The graphics are outstanding for the most part and with the analogue controls it flies quite nicely. Other than the missions being a bit long on some stages and the framerate drops when thousands of guys are on the screen when war monsters are collapsing onto the floor its overall a fantastic game and Im glad I finally bought it. I would have hated it though before the patch. Thankfully factor 5 listened to thier fans finally.

Oh and with the $$ I saved on this game I was able to get Gran Turismo 5 Prologue basically for free. :) ($39.95) good times!

BIG

sony fanboy
if any of you mofos want to pass on the savings to me after having your ways with it, drop me a pm.

Fakk2

BIG said:
if any of you mofos want to pass on the savings to me after having your ways with it, drop me a pm.
I would if I sold my PS3 games. ;)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Shockingly enough, the ethernet port on my PS3 was in working order last night, so I was able to download the newest firmware update and the Lair patch, think I'm going to have to look for either a Target clearance copy or a used copy at GS.

I'm thinking that with manageable controls, this ought to be worth playing, at the very least, especially considering that I only got through two levels before- pretty much almost the whole game will be new to me, still.

Fakk2

Yeah I tried the sixaxis controls and the game sucked that way. Getting past Stage 4 was impossible with sixaxis motion controls. But when I put the controls on analogue controls the game was quite fun, easy and enjoyable. I got to stage 13 on my first night playing. Stage 13 is tuff though. It makes me a nervous wreck to play that stage. Great game overall. :mr_t: some spots are just tough as nails.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I looked at Target and they didn't have any copies, but I got the one used copy at the only Gamestop that had any in stock.

Store manager at the one I shop at now is this little dude with a slight foreign accent, and he's brutally honest- "this game isn't very good- are you sure you want to buy it?" So I tell him, "yeah, dude, I know what you're talking about, I played it before, but now it's actually patched to allow for analogue controls, so I'm pretty sure it will be much more fun to play."

Other dude working pipes up and says "hey, that's awesome, 'cuz that's the one thing that everyone complained about before, apparently a game company actually listens to their customers for a change."

Store manager says cool man, he stands corrected, and sends me on my way. Rare to find a Gamestop that isn't run by pains in the ass.

Looking forward to firing it up this evening.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I still don't get how your ethernet port sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - I bet theres nothing wrong with it, and its the cable, or the thing on the other end.

BIG

sony fanboy
found this along with the orange box on clearance at target lastnight.

can't wait to try it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
kernow said:
I still don't get how your ethernet port sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - I bet theres nothing wrong with it, and its the cable, or the thing on the other end.
Yeah, I don't get it either, seriously, it's freaking weird, man. Now it works all the time (jinx, big time). What it says when it doesn't work is "there is no ethernet cable connected," which I know full well is bullshit, cuz I haven't done anything different from when it is connected.

But at least it's working now, so I got the patch downloaded, and I also got the latest FW, and I got the latest update for The Show 08, so the rosters should be updated (and NATE McLOUTH should kick ass, YES).

I had time to play the first level, WAY the hell better.

And thus endeth my run of silly caps. Anyway, it's a world of improvement. Much, much more playable, easily recommendable now, especially at either clearance or used price. It's still a flawed game, but at least now it's fun.

Fakk2

jro said:
I had time to play the first level, WAY the hell better.

And thus endeth my run of silly caps. Anyway, it's a world of improvement. Much, much more playable, easily recommendable now, especially at either clearance or used price. It's still a flawed game, but at least now it's fun.

Yeah its flawed...I guess thats because it is coded by human beings. :P All games have flaws in that case. Im just glad to see you enjoy the game. It really is an excellent game. Im just stuck on Stage 13 or so called The ancient Bridge or something...tough as nails for me. If I could just pass that stage I would like the game even more.

Ever play it on the PSP using remote play? Its neat. I cant wait to see other PS3 games use this feature.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Before the patch, you could plug in an old Dual Shock and force the game into analog controls, but you still couldn't do the parts where you have to shake the controller. Glad they came to their senses.

Fakk2

Neo Alec said:
Before the patch, you could plug in an old Dual Shock and force the game into analog controls, but you still couldn't do the parts where you have to shake the controller. Glad they came to their senses.

Thats intresting....

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I picked this up the other day for $30. I must say that I am really enjoying the game post patch. For $30 I can definitely recommend the game, but not for $60 though. Graphics are great, music is top notch. Patch was desperately needed to say the least. I am about 5 or 6 missions in, and I can honestly say some of the missions would be impossible with just six axis controls. It is just sad Factor 5 took so long for the patch. If Sony and Factor 5 would have had the analog option to begin with, I am sure there would not be as many bad impressions. Give this one a second chance people (especially if you are a fan of the Rogue Squadron series)

Last edited: