LB2 speed mode

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I haven't played nowhere near as much as 1, but can anyone explain the AB speed mode combo system in it? In 1 it was free-form much like zero2 custom combos. In 2 it seems you have to press a predetermined set of buttons for it to continue, hence it ending after about 3 hits.

I've never been arsed to work it out tbh

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The timing is super strict for the speed combos. Basically once meter is full, enter super combo mode and input the combo. I found that using A B C A B C A B QCF-C is easiest for most characters that specialize in Speed (im a fan of Lee) but it takes a while to get the timing down just right. I also like his A B C A B C C B A QCF-C

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Why is it set buttons rather than free form in the first though? Strange af

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It is. Each character has set speed combos, so it's not like SFA2 where you can flood the screen with hadokens

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Ugh that sucks no wonder I prefer 1

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I never put any real time into Last Blade and didn't know that was a thing, that sounds really obnoxious lol
Were these combos ever shown in-game/manuals/official documentation or was it something people just had to figure out back in the day?

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Depends which lb you mean

2, specifically speed combos (Furious The Fandango Secret Slices??? lmbo)
The idea of long, character specific combo strings that also cost meter seems like weird/bad design

Looks like the Dreamcast manual explains it and didn't leave players to fend for themselves, which I guess helps even if my eyes gloss over when trying to understand it

1649698369236.png
1649698237538.png

Last edited:

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Seems like as many people around here prefer 1 to 2. I wonder how much of the popularity of 2 is to do with the larger roster and ports rather than quality.

For me, I'm not intimate enough with either to decide.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Both games are good, but they leave you wanting more sequels. We're still waiting for Last Blade 3.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Power is better for most characters anyhow. Just learn to do combo links unless you're a executionlet.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I made my own version of last blade 3 in Mugen 20 years ago. It featured a few samurai showdown characters and Lynn from rage of the dragons to bolster the existing roster.

The speed combo dial a combos are annoying. I'm surprised snk chose to ape mortal Kombat of all things. I've even learned some of these over the years but I don't think learning speed mode will allow you to always dominate someone who plays with the simpler mechanics and higher attack power of power mode, I regarded it more as a way for a skilled player to show off, rather than the best way to be unbeatable at the game.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I made my own version of last blade 3 in Mugen 20 years ago. It featured a few samurai showdown characters and Lynn from rage of the dragons to bolster the existing roster.

Oh boy.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year

I think I made a story and some custom character endings as well. I think I still have a copy of the game on a computer that is so old I can't easily get files off it (no CD burner and no windows driver to support USB thumb drives.)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I blind bought LB directly from SNK when it came out, Alicia said it was similar to Sam Sho so I took a chance. The art, presentation and atmosphere were like nothing else at the time. It was mind blowing.

LB1 is almost a perfect single player game. 2 is also great but I only ever play it in 2p because of the larger roster.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don't really see LB1 and LB2 as two separate games. It's like one game, with two parts to it. The rosters of the games are very similar.