Learn how to solder...from me lol

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Note : I am not an engineer. I am a filmmaker. So yeah...remember that lol

But seriously every mod or repair video I post I get comments like "how do I learn how to solder" or "I wish I knew how to solder".

Well...it's dumb easy. If I can do it...anyone can! So I am leaving this here in case anyone wants to learn. Oh and remember...burnt flesh smells like porkchops!

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Thanks for this! I'll be watching later this weekend for some tips. I can solder, but not much more than changing a lithium battery in an old cart. Arcade collecting pretty much demands that you have some skill in this area, so I know I need to brush up. Cheers!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for this! I'll be watching later this weekend for some tips. I can solder, but not much more than changing a lithium battery in an old cart. Arcade collecting pretty much demands that you have some skill in this area, so I know I need to brush up. Cheers!
happy to make them! I enjoy teaching people shit

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Very good advice in this video. I have a fan that sucks the fumes into a filter. I've only ever bought lead-free solder though, which might cause issues with my soldering quality.

I've tried to buy the tips that Voultar recommends, but I always end up with the wrong kind when it arrives in the mail. I'm still using cone tips for everything, and it's what I'm used to. I'm also bad at buying the right flux -- the one I have now is too hard, and isn't nice and viscous like the one I used to have. I don't know how to buy the correct one. I might try this one next: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425FUW2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8

My general lack of patience, poor vision, lack of attention to details of the equipment I select, carpal tunnel and early stage arthritis have contributed to me being very bad at soldering, despite doing it for 15 years. I would argue soldering well doesn't come naturally to everyone.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I always strive to inhale the fumes so that I don't set the smoke alarm off and wake up my daughters. Guess I'll see you all on the other side somewhere.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
>you can do a good amount of work with a radioshack tier iron unless it's IC removal or soldering in spots that disperse heat too fast
>flux counters every shithead decision you can take that ruins the bond between the solder and the pad/ic leg. use it liberally
>if solder doesn't melt fully or your tip/braid gets "stuck" in solder then stop immediately, that's temp controlled territory
>warm everything that needs to touch the solder beforehand unless you want a cold joint (that's why you usually see people putting the tip of the iron on a pad, THEN introducing solder)
>clean the heckin tipperino

With these tips you can do almost everything. I recapped my PCE Laseractive PAC with good solder, braid, flux, a cheap iron and patience, and you can, too.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I just blow the fumes away with my breath while I'm working. I prefer lead solder than lead free as I find it much better at sticking. I've also never used added flux... never found the need for it.

Pick the right tip for the job, set the right amount of heat for the job/tip and solder the fucker in.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I just blow the fumes away with my breath while I'm working. I prefer lead solder than lead free as I find it much better at sticking. I've also never used added flux... never found the need for it.

Pick the right tip for the job, set the right amount of heat for the job/tip and solder the fucker in.
Lead free solder sucks. Way safer but it’s not fun to work with.

If I am just hitting two joints with the iron I don’t worry about it but if I’m doing a project I’ll usually set up a small fan or just toss a mask on

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Very good advice in this video. I have a fan that sucks the fumes into a filter. I've only ever bought lead-free solder though, which might cause issues with my soldering quality.

I've tried to buy the tips that Voultar recommends, but I always end up with the wrong kind when it arrives in the mail. I'm still using cone tips for everything, and it's what I'm used to. I'm also bad at buying the right flux -- the one I have now is too hard, and isn't nice and viscous like the one I used to have. I don't know how to buy the correct one. I might try this one next: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425FUW2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8

My general lack of patience, poor vision, lack of attention to details of the equipment I select, carpal tunnel and early stage arthritis have contributed to me being very bad at soldering, despite doing it for 15 years. I would argue soldering well doesn't come naturally to everyone.
8388C5A6-3FD4-4AA8-8816-31141C8F16CA.png
I use this. Not too thin, not too thick. Stays where you place it without too much effort

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Fuck some lead free solder. I just let the fumes billow up in my face because yolo. Also no clean flux is my shit. Its amazing. Like running cheats while soldering.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Very cool vid man. I got a little $50 soldering station from Lonove. It works pretty well for what I do (which is not a lot).

I wouldn't attempt like a DCHDMI install or anything. But I can replace a mean CPS2 battery or Dremcast controller board upgrade kit :ROFLMAO:

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I learned how to solder because I was so bored at the start of the pandemic and it was one of the best 'hobby' decision ever! I fixed quite a few of my arcade boards with it.

Super useful skill to have! But yeah, I wouldnt dare to do super advanced stuff but still!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I learned how to solder because I was so bored at the start of the pandemic and it was one of the best 'hobby' decision ever! I fixed quite a few of my arcade boards with it.

Super useful skill to have! But yeah, I wouldnt dare to do super advanced stuff but still!
Yes the learning curve goes like this...I can't solder...hey I can solder...fuck surface mount components!

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Yes the learning curve goes like this...I can't solder...hey I can solder...fuck surface mount components!
Im finally beginning to learn my way around surface mount stuff. Its lame shit though!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Im finally beginning to learn my way around surface mount stuff. Its lame shit though!
After a certain pin pitch I can’t hang. I’d need a microscope to deal and I have perfect eyesight

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
It's pretty wild when you watch tutorial vids from people like Voultar. He makes everything so easy, but he's just THAT good.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Here comes part 2. Through hold, drag soldering and how to/why to use flux. Next stop...desoldering...then it's surface mount town