Least Favorite Neo Games Thread

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
This thread is interesting in that it shows just how much of the Neo-Geo library some people have played.

I mean, Aero Fighters 3? KOF 94? Top Hunter? Samurai Shodown 1? Really now?

I sure would like to see you guys' reactions when you end up playing Fight Fever or Legend of Success Joe...

EGG

ZAK

LEE

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
KOF '98 for me.

No joke and this is an opinon many know that I hold.

Hate that game with a passion.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
3 county bout was probably my most anticipated game on NEO GEO given how cool the grappler sprites in prior releases like FFS,ADK(SHEEN),WH and Karnovs Revenge were.How could SNK go wrong? UGH!!!! What was most cheezy was that they,SNK were lazy and created two extra characters from two of the worst looking sprites on the roster imo but at least it wasn't the worst sprite which is The Ghandara(?) Why didn't they just swap head sprites with Master Barnes and Roy Wilson? They could have even swapped heads with Terry Rogers and the Dragon to create more and better looking characters !!!

If you take 3 count bout too serious, you're liable to break your fingers from excessive button mashing so in order to avoid nerve damage you just need to realize that the engine is similar to KOM2 where you have to sidestep your opponent and land a few hits while remaining untouched before you decide to grapple. You can also grab some cheap grappling leverage by climbing to the top rope and performing splash moves. I personally like to whip the opponent to the rope and pull off one of those pin moves after a successful grappling break.

3 Count Bout is a major fail on all levels BUT it's still playable which is not the case with Galaxy Fight.I tried real hard to give that one a chance but it's just terrible imo.
BB

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
3 Count Bout is a major fail on all levels BUT it's still playable which is not the case with Galaxy Fight.

I actually picked up Waku Waku 7 first after playing it at Ilazul's and loving it. Got a hold of a Galaxy Fight later and I was absolutely stunned at how unplayable it was. The real shame is that the character design is actually pretty cool. If you just look at the roster and screen shots of the game it looks like a cool idea for a fighter, but the execution is just not there. At least they figured it out for Waku Waku 7 and pulled off a really good fighter.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Not Pop n bounce dude, that was Super Bubble Pop. That's how bad that game was that you forgot the name of it. I owned it for 10 minutes literally and I think you owned it for almost the same amount of time.

LOL you are right. I did forget the name. HAHA. Horrible game, just plain awful. What was the point of that game? I think the point was to make neo collectors reexamine why they ever got into collecting carts in the first place!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cyber Lip....

Contra but on the Neo Geo? This is going to be awesome.....
Fail. no diagonal shooting.

I guess you need to make a Cyber Lip before you can make a Metal Slug

SSS

neo retired
LOL you are right. I did forget the name. HAHA. Horrible game, just plain awful. What was the point of that game? I think the point was to make neo collectors reexamine why they ever got into collecting carts in the first place!

Neo Alec and T_Smallz would disagree with you. They would argue it's a worthy cart to keep in their collection even though they don't play it.

Missile

Another Striker
Cyber Lip....

Contra but on the Neo Geo? This is going to be awesome.....
Fail. no diagonal shooting.

I guess you need to make a Cyber Lip before you can make a Metal Slug

i was going to say Cyber Lip but i actually did get into that game after a lot of playing and eventually enjoyed it. I found the controls a bit clunky at first, and the graphics arent that amazing, but if you force yourself (lol) through that, its not bad. I came to it too from Contra, the first boss in Cyberlip is a lot like the one in Contra!, its definitely inititally disappointing when you compare the 2 games. Cyberlip wins by having a lot more digitized speech ;D

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Neo Alec and T_Smallz would disagree with you. They would argue it's a worthy cart to keep in their collection even though they don't play it.
Since it is not an official release I would argue collectors don't need to get it. Pop'n Bounce on the other hand, had a surprisingly fun versus mode.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Yea, it's really only in comparison to the other games in the series that it gets worse. It all depends on your point of reference. I have the whole series on MVS and the only ones I ever play are '99 and 2003 (I see what people like about '98 though).

However, when you have other games in the series available to you, it bites. KOF96 just arrived in the mail a little while ago. I played it, and I instantly loved it like I do KOF98. I hardly ever see myself going back to KOF94 now that I have a much better game to play.

So, now maybe I wasn't so wrong when I said KOF94 was one of my least favorite Neo Geo games after all. I can see it being relegated to that status very soon.

Ibows

n00b
voltage fighter gowcaizer. Maybe I just didn get it. Felt awkward and I did not enjoy myself... Not one bit!

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Out of the games I've played (to a reasonable extent), the worst are:

The Super Spy
3 Count Bout/Fire Suplex
Sengoku
Riding Hero
Burning Fight

Games I sort of like, but some people think are crap:

Art of Fighting 1 & 2
Alpha Mission 2
Fighters History Dynamite
Double Dragon
Fatal Fury
Street Hoop/Street Slam/Dunk Dream

Last edited:

Neogeomaniac67

New Challenger
I seen the characters for Galaxy Fight and it looked like it would be a good game. I just traded for the US version and what a mistake. One of the worst games I ever played.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Can't forget
Shock Troopers 2....wtf happened there...

Ugly colors and graphics, and slowdown the entire game.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Can't forget

This game is painful when one thinks of what might have been. That and the fairly high production values just further underscore the waste.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Can't forget

I beg to differ. My casual player roommates really loved ST2 and played the shit out of it for months until they were running circles around me. It may have shortcomings, but it doesn't deserve mention in a thread like this. If it was an awful game, it never would have been able to entertain my roommates for so long like that.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I beg to differ. My casual player roommates really loved ST2 and played the shit out of it for months until they were running circles around me. It may have shortcomings, but it doesn't deserve mention in a thread like this. If it was an awful game, it never would have been able to entertain my roommates for so long like that.

I have to agree with this 100%. If it was the only Shocktrooper game out there then I don't think it would be talked about so negatively. Everyone automatically compares it to the first game. On it's own it's a great game. Very fun to play. The only negative thing I would have to agree with is the slowdown. It's a little ridiculous at certain points in the game. Other than that, I love it.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I have to agree with this 100%. If it was the only Shocktrooper game out there then I don't think it would be talked about so negatively. Everyone automatically compares it to the first game. On it's own it's a great game. Very fun to play. The only negative thing I would have to agree with is the slowdown. It's a little ridiculous at certain points in the game. Other than that, I love it.

Yea but it isn't the only Shock Troopers game so they should have known better. The game is not entirely without merit, but what gets me is the source of the slowdown. Instead of making the combat challenging by using a relatively low number of intelligent and dynamic enemies (like ST1, MS, etc..), they opted to do it with a huge quantity of incredibly stupid enemies that simply run straight at you. As a result of this laziness the sheer amount of enemies causes the slowdown, having the exact opposite effect that was intended and making parts of the game easy (and boring). When they saw this was the result of their ineptitude they didn't even care and shipped it anyway.

So rarely do you see a developer make a brilliant game and then follow it up with a sequel that is a real turd in comparison that when it happens it's worse than a developer simply releasing a one-off bad game. A bad game is a bad game (buyer beware), but even a mediocre game, when sold knowing people will buy it sight unseen expecting the same quality of its predecessors, is a betrayal of trust.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I think there was frustration on the part of developers in the later years of the Neo. They wanted to add more sprites on screen to stay competitive with other arcade games, but were finding the hardware wasn't up to the task. That's how we got games like this and Blazing Star. At least that's how I feel when I'm playing them. Then I play games like Strikers 1945+ and Fast Striker and I know there are smarter ways to do it on the system. But I feel like I can't really blame the developers for trying to push the hardware the way they did at the time.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Yea but it isn't the only Shock Troopers game so they should have known better. The game is not entirely without merit, but what gets me is the source of the slowdown. Instead of making the combat challenging by using a relatively low number of intelligent and dynamic enemies (like ST1, MS, etc..), they opted to do it with a huge quantity of incredibly stupid enemies that simply run straight at you. As a result of this laziness the sheer amount of enemies causes the slowdown, having the exact opposite effect that was intended and making parts of the game easy (and boring). When they saw this was the result of their ineptitude they didn't even care and shipped it anyway.

So rarely do you see a developer make a brilliant game and then follow it up with a sequel that is a real turd in comparison that when it happens it's worse than a developer simply releasing a one-off bad game. A bad game is a bad game (buyer beware), but even a mediocre game, when sold knowing people will buy it sight unseen expecting the same quality of its predecessors, is a betrayal of trust.

You make some valid points there. They should have polished it up a bit and done something to fix the slowdown. They obviously wanted to go a different route with this game and make it distiguishable from the first. It probably didn't work out 100% as they had intended. I don't agree that it should be qualified as a bad game or even a mediocre one however.

smccd

New Challenger
For me it's Sengoku 1. I don't know, it just feels really strange, and choppy because of the power-ups. However, I consider Sengoku 3 one of the best beat'em ups on any arcade system.

Also, before playing it, I've always thought I would hate Zupapa! simply because of its name. And then I played it and I was hooked.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For me it's Sengoku 1. I don't know, it just feels really strange, and choppy because of the power-ups.

It isn't choppy, it plays like you're in a Japanese nightmare, I love it.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
For me it's Sengoku 1. I don't know, it just feels really strange, and choppy because of the power-ups.

If the controls didn't feel so stiff I would like it alot more. It is was made to eat lots and lots quarters. When the new bios comes out I'm gonna fix it to my liking.