Legendary 8-bit/16-bit European games

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Hey, so I was thinking, what 2D games are great from Europe (including UK)?

I figured you guys would have some opinions and I have an emulator on my laptop.

Shoot, fellas.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Hey, so I was thinking, what 2D games are great from Europe (including UK)?

I figured you guys would have some opinions and I have an emulator on my laptop.

Shoot, fellas.
not a console game...but syndicate (by bullfrog)

edit: well i suppose there are genesis and snes ports...but they are inferior.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Most people I knew had imports with 60hz and RGB while you lot were playing bloop bleep Atari and Nintendo games on shit tier TVs.

NES game bloop beeps are fantastic. Are you being cereal right now, wyo?

• Haha
Reactions: wyo

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
oh one more from a euro dev...although it might have been common in the US. lord of the realms 2.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
On top of my head...
Speedball 2
Shadow of the Beast
North and South

All on the Amiga... Would have added Moonstone till I realized it was actually American

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
horrible game, good music

Well... yes.
Thinking of it that's a bit typical of "legendary" european games - they were mostly legendary because they sort of defined what gaming on their platform (computer) was like. Otherwise it's hard to find anything that had an impact even remotely comparable to the best Japanese or even US arcade / console games.
Out of this World & Flashback maybe?
The original Dune by Cryo was awesome as well. :-J

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
They had scart but they also had 50hz.

we win.
Not really most tv from 1990 on upwards could handle 60hz and had rgb. Most top brands could also handle NTSC signals. You did need a lot of cash

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Well... yes.
Thinking of it that's a bit typical of "legendary" european games - they were mostly legendary because they sort of defined what gaming on their platform (computer) was like. Otherwise it's hard to find anything that had an impact even remotely comparable to the best Japanese or even US arcade / console games.
Out of this World & Flashback maybe?
The original Dune by Cryo was awesome as well. :-J

I forget sometimes about Out of this World. Landmark game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
They had scart but they also had 50hz.

we win.
Serious gamers only bought (and still buy) only those games that can be switched to 60Hz and modded their consoles.

50Hz and reduced screen size is completely inacceptable.

Anyway, there tons of Euro platformers and other types of games out there, among the better ones are Trolls (Amiga), Wiz 'n Liz (Genny), Great Gianna Sisters (Amiga and various other 8bit and 16bit micros), Flood (Amiga, a Bullfrog (of Populous fame) game), the James Pond series (Genny and other platforms), Hybris (Amiga, a great vert shmup), the Bitmap Brothers games Speedball, Speedball 2, Xenon, etc. (Amiga and other platforms), etc.

Syndicate got a decent Sega CD release, btw. Really intense game and quite brutal.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Serious gamers only bought (and still buy) only those games that can be switched to 60Hz and modded their consoles.

50Hz and reduced screen size is completely inacceptable.

Anyway, there tons of Euro platformers and other types of games out there, among the better ones are Trolls (Amiga), Wiz 'n Liz (Genny), Great Gianna Sisters (Amiga and various other 8bit and 16bit micros), Flood (Amiga, a Bullfrog (of Populous fame) game), the James Pond series (Genny and other platforms), Hybris (Amiga, a great vert shmup), the Bitmap Brothers games Speedball, Speedball 2, Xenon, etc. (Amiga and other platforms), etc.

Syndicate got a decent Sega CD release, btw. Really intense game and quite brutal.
I would most appreciate a shortlist of your favorite Amiga games if you don't mind

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I would most appreciate a shortlist of your favorite Amiga games if you don't mind
I'll try (in no particular order):

MechForce (a turn-based Mech game, probably played that one the most of them all. Incredibly good but it's acquired taste).
Firepower
International Karate+ (IK+)
Phalanx (nothing to do with the SNES game)
Elite (Amiga Elite is the best version out there IMO)
Great Gianna Sisters (basically Mario with some changes)
Katakis (basically R-Type with some changes)
Rainbow Islands
Turrican (the first one, it's the purest and best IMO)
Ports of Call
Defender of the Crown
Venus The Flytrap
Hybris
MicroProse Soccer
Silent Service II
Knights of the Sky (that and SSII are the best MicroProse titles ever to grace a 16bit system, the manuals alone are worth it)
Secret of Monkey Island
Dungeon Master
Alien Syndrome
Pirates
Llamatron 2112 (a friggin' great Jeff Minter game based on Robotron 2084)
Fernandez Must Die
Stunt Car Racer
The Pawn
Nitro
Battle Isle
Empire

The list is not complete but all these games are definitely among my most-played ones on the system.

Oh, and they're all OCS (original chipset) games, I was a first-gen Amiga user and in its later life used the system mainly for making music so gaming wasn't #1 prio anymore and I never bothered with the ECS Amigas from 600 onwards. I know most ECS killer apps so please don't bother. :)

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Escape from colditz castle
Sensible world of soccer
Monkey island 2
Jim power
Turrican 2
Apidya II
Cannon fodder
Jumping jackson
F1/vroom
Mega-lo-mania
Worms
Theme park
Mega Turrican
Speedball 2

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
So far Cannon Fodder is the only thing even approaching “Legendary”, IMO. Zool is only impressive if your parents belong to some weird religion that won’t allow Sega and Nintendo into the house (or Capcom or Hudson or Konami or…).

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
So far Cannon Fodder is the only thing even approaching “Legendary”, IMO. Zool is only impressive if your parents belong to some weird religion that won’t allow Sega and Nintendo into the house (or Capcom or Hudson or Konami or…).
shut up

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Here's a 90s arcade run 'n gunner made by a Spanish developer. It's got that retarded European aesthetic but it looks technically impressive. It could have been fun if you weren't Steven Seagal shooting at toys.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'll try (in no particular order):

MechForce (a turn-based Mech game, probably played that one the most of them all. Incredibly good but it's acquired taste).
Firepower
International Karate+ (IK+)
Phalanx (nothing to do with the SNES game)
Elite (Amiga Elite is the best version out there IMO)
Great Gianna Sisters (basically Mario with some changes)
Katakis (basically R-Type with some changes)
Rainbow Islands
Turrican (the first one, it's the purest and best IMO)
Ports of Call
Defender of the Crown
Venus The Flytrap
Hybris
MicroProse Soccer
Silent Service II
Knights of the Sky (that and SSII are the best MicroProse titles ever to grace a 16bit system, the manuals alone are worth it)
Secret of Monkey Island
Dungeon Master
Alien Syndrome
Pirates
Llamatron 2112 (a friggin' great Jeff Minter game based on Robotron 2084)
Fernandez Must Die
Stunt Car Racer
The Pawn
Nitro
Battle Isle
Empire

The list is not complete but all these games are definitely among my most-played ones on the system.

Oh, and they're all OCS (original chipset) games, I was a first-gen Amiga user and in its later life used the system mainly for making music so gaming wasn't #1 prio anymore and I never bothered with the ECS Amigas from 600 onwards. I know most ECS killer apps so please don't bother. :)
Awesome, genuinely appreciate it.

It's 1000% not my style but with the price of real Amigas in the US I scooped one of the A500 Minis. Apparently you can USB load games, but I haven't had the time to mess with it yet.