Legendary 8-bit/16-bit European games

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Here's a 90s arcade run 'n gunner made by a Spanish developer. It's got that retarded European aesthetic but it looks technically impressive. It could have been fun if you weren't Steven Seagal shooting at toys.

The sound effects are mostly awful but the gameplay looks decent

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Although it's not really my pint of beer, Psycho Fox
Ah yeah it is, Broderbund just sounded German :D
Broderbund is an American company, one of the executives lived in South Africa for a while and "broderbund" is the Afrikaans word for band of brothers.

I loved their games, specially Castles of Dr. Creep and Loderunner on C64, and of course Choplifter. My fave version is the one on SMS, it's a straight port of the arcade version that came out after the game had debuted on Apple II, written by Dan Gorlin.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I am really not in to retro-gaming that much these days but the Amiga is the one system I'd like to buy and give a play. Yeah I could emulate, but what's the fun in that? I want to do some low-fi sampling on the Amiga as well :emb:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I am really not in to retro-gaming that much these days but the Amiga is the one system I'd like to buy and give a play. Yeah I could emulate, but what's the fun in that? I want to do some low-fi sampling on the Amiga as well :emb:
I hope at some point the minis are hacked to support usb midi interfaces

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
This game Fire and Ice: The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote.

I don't think these have been mentioned Micro machines and Lemmings. But really anything Rare bought out during that time like digger t rock

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I hope at some point the minis are hacked to support usb midi interfaces

That would be cool…but also significantly more of a PITA than a normal system or an emulator since the minis are HDMI only you’ll need an analog out of some kind for any kind of real production.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
No mention of Flink? So far as I could tell. Game is fairly standard but the pixel art is (chefkiss)

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Here's a 90s arcade run 'n gunner made by a Spanish developer. It's got that retarded European aesthetic but it looks technically impressive. It could have been fun if you weren't Steven Seagal shooting at toys.

Also from GAELCO, the 2 World Rally games and RADIKAL BIKERS (I know many people here likes this one).

Very popular in Spain as well, The abbey of crime. I believe there is an english version around nowadays.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Also from GAELCO, the 2 World Rally games and RADIKAL BIKERS (I know many people here likes this one).

Very popular in Spain as well, The abbey of crime. I believe there is an english version around nowadays.
I liked Speed Up from them. However, it does not fall in the 8-16 bit category.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
A number of games I'd have picked have already been mentioned, but I'll add this:

Carrier Command

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
-Puggsy - megadrive/genesis, sega CD - all around great graphics, music, smooth platformer gameplay, had a US release, cart version has better soundtrack. The programmer was a talented demoscene guy and was able to put in some flashy stuff. He later worked on a number of higher profile things, like 16bit Disney games that are well regarded (Toy Story on genesis) and some of the lesser Sonic games (Sonic 3D on genesis and Sonic R on Saturn/PC)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

Abadia del Crimen was a MSX hit here even though spanish (and the game itself) is tough af lol

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Speedball 2

More seems to be made of Chaos Engine and Gods ... both of which are cool Bitmap Brothers games. But, at least for europe, Speedball 2, probably on megadrive, amiga, then atari st, then pc - just is still THE future sports game. Cadaver is often overlooked but well worth a mention if you want something different

Syndicate is then cream of bullfrog crop as far as I am concerned.
Plenty of charm and class in the populous games, theme games etc. Even the late 90's later games and wars sequel. But it was the original that just oozed brutality and cyberpunk-ness.

Canon Fodder for sensible software games.
You'll see sensible soccer top many an amiga list. But the original canon fodder really is just far more appealing to me... if I want a sports game I got speedball :D ... mega lo mania is worth a mention imho; often overlooked versus populous...

But yeah speedball 2...
...shit I remember even playing a version of it on the sports fields at lunch with italia 90 mini soccer balls; cause of many a bloody nose for a few years.

Last edited: