Let's acknowledge what's going in in France...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Public Cross burning is exactly what I was thinking about.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
at what point is homicide justified?

Not asking legally, but more on a welfare/philosophical level.

"Homicide"? As in:

"the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder."

Never.

Have I done that in in this thread?????

Well...that I can see, everything you've responded with has addressed the actions of the French.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
"Homicide"? As in:

"the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another; murder."

Never.

The inclusion of the word "unlawful" was unfortunate.

because then we have to allow the application of law to determine when murder is acceptable.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The inclusion of the word "unlawful" was unfortunate.

because then we have to allow the application of law to determine when murder is acceptable.

Not sure if you're trying to master-bait me into some slip of the tongue or not...

...but for now I'll proceed as if you are just asking a simple question.

To me, "Homicide" and "murder" are pretty much one in the same. A person killing another person with intent to do just that.

That's different from unintentional...which the law has a set aside section for that.

Also different from killing another in self defense.

So, if you're asking if I feel murder or homicide is ever justified, my reply would be "never".

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not sure if you're trying to master-bait me into some slip of the tongue or not...

...but for now I'll proceed as if you are just asking a simple question.

To me, "Homicide" and "murder" are pretty much one in the same. A person killing another person with intent to do just that.

That's different from unintentional...which the law has a set aside section for that.

Also different from killing another in self defense.

So, if you're asking if I feel murder or homicide is ever justified, my reply would be "never".

it's a tricky topic because a lot people would say "if someone rapes my daughter, I should be allowed to kill that person", and the answer is still no. Or "if you went back in time to 1920 and met a failed artist in Germany named Adolf Hitler, would you kill him knowing it would save 6 million jews?" And again, the answer is no (you find ways to stop him, to change his mind, but not murder. The solution could be as simple as buying his artwork and encouraging him to keep painting...) So I agree that it's never acceptable.

I don't think the death penalty is acceptable either.

But what about a mother who is pregnant with a child, and the doctor says "your child is severely damaged inside you, and if you carry it to term, you will both die"?

What if it's a geriatric with bone cancer, living each day in excruciating pain, who just wants to end their own suffering?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm going to have to split this one up a bit...

it's a tricky topic because a lot people would say "if someone rapes my daughter, I should be allowed to kill that person", and the answer is still no. Or "if you went back in time to 1920 and met a failed artist in Germany named Adolf Hitler, would you kill him knowing it would save 6 million jews?" And again, the answer is no (you find ways to stop him, to change his mind, but not murder. The solution could be as simple as buying his artwork and encouraging him to keep painting...) So I agree that it's never acceptable.

Retaliation via murder is understandable...but never justifiable.

Murdering one to save millions? Woa man, I just can't answer that. I'll be frank, my gut says it's ok. Thankfully, time travel isn't a factor at the moment.

I don't think the death penalty is acceptable either.

Another tricky one...the US prison system is a hot flipping mess at the moment. There are just some people who shouldn't be allowed to be around and by that, I mean left alive. Where we have many people serving life sentences for non violent things, those that have proven themselves violent and beyond rehabilitation should probably be put to death vs left to rot in a cell on taxpayer dime for decades.

But what about a mother who is pregnant with a child, and the doctor says "your child is severely damaged inside you, and if you carry it to term, you will both die"?

A. I'm pro choice.
B. I have the luxury of being a man who cannot get pregnant and married to a wife that can no longer get pregnant. So saying I'm "pro choice" isn't a real hard statement to make.
C. Abortion is something I cannot wrap my head around, so I default to saying "their body, their choice"
D. I have a daughter who is now technically able to get pregnant so there may be a day when I need to give advice on such a thing and I have no clue what I'll do if that happens.

What if it's a geriatric with bone cancer, living each day in excruciating pain, who just wants to end their own suffering?

I am 1000% for physician assisted deaths in specific cases. The fact that it is criminal to not put an animal down peacefully when they're suffering yet illegal to do the same for a human is beyond me.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Murdering one to save millions? Woa man, I just can't answer that. I'll be frank, my gut says it's ok. Thankfully, time travel isn't a factor at the moment.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm going to have to split this one up a bit...

Retaliation via murder is understandable...but never justifiable.

Another tricky one...the US prison system is a hot flipping mess at the moment. There are just some people who shouldn't be allowed to be around and by that, I mean left alive. Where we have many people serving life sentences for non violent things, those that have proven themselves violent and beyond rehabilitation should probably be put to death vs left to rot in a cell on taxpayer dime for decades.

A. I'm pro choice.
B. I have the luxury of being a man who cannot get pregnant and married to a wife that can no longer get pregnant. So saying I'm "pro choice" isn't a real hard statement to make.
C. Abortion is something I cannot wrap my head around, so I default to saying "their body, their choice"
D. I have a daughter who is now technically able to get pregnant so there may be a day when I need to give advice on such a thing and I have no clue what I'll do if that happens.

I am 1000% for physician assisted deaths in specific cases. The fact that it is criminal to not put an animal down peacefully when they're suffering yet illegal to do the same for a human is beyond me.

When I think about correcting and grooming history, I look to Gattaca. At the end, before the credits, the screen shows the names of people who wouldn’t exist the same in a perfectly manicured world. It lists Einstein, but come to think of it, we wouldn’t have Nikola Tesla, Julius Caesar, Paganini, Van Gogh, Alan Turing, Abraham Lincoln, or Isaac Newton. A simple improvement can destroy a tower of intellect. I am certain a small improvement can destroy a tower of madness as well.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
For the record, I still consider ethnic and religious intimidation to be a form of terrorism. Even if I'm the only person on this planet to do so.
Glad we got that on the record, hero. I've cross-posted to Facebook and Twitter so maybe someone can take over patting your back before you tire your arm out. If they ever make emotion-based virtue signaling an Olympic sport, you are a podium finish guaranteed.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A killing does not have to be "Unlawful" in order to be classified as a homicide.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Duf must be day drinking to misspell Vulcan.

I’m shamed.

I’ve been reading a lot of (trashy) Warhammer 40K novels lately and there is a a character I like called Vulkan.

I shall now go commit ritual suicide to restore honor to Vulcan, Gene, and Leonard.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m shamed.

I’ve been reading a lot of (trashy) Warhammer 40K novels lately and there is a a character I like called Vulkan.

I shall now go commit ritual suicide to restore honor to Vulcan, Gene, and Leonard.

admittedly, Vulkan is the only logical romanisation. Too many earth creatures pronounce C as S.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I’m shamed.

The Warhammer fantasy novels are some of the only licensed fiction I can even read right now.

They're not high are or anything, but they're a damn sight better than a lot of the postmodern trash passing for genre material these days.

Gotrek and Felix are pretty entertaining, if boiler plate.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Penises I am ok with...severed heads, not so much.