Let's talk lube.... (for the PC Engine CDROM2)

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Hi guys,
I have a working PC Enginge CD ROM but it is super noisy. after googling it seems I need to remove the old lube and apply some new lubricants.
But I'm having trouble finding a decent one. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

From console 5 site:

Remove all traces of the old lubricant. Use a mild degreasing cleaner, like 409, Simple Green, dish soap, or something that won't eat your tasty plastic parts. Clean the cluster gear shaft, and the worm follower, both the follower that you removed, and the rest of the nylon follower assembly that's still attached to the laser. Clean the top hat bushing and the retaining bushing.

Lubricate these parts:

• Worm gear and follower
  • Laser sled rail
Do not lubricate these parts:

• Motor / Cluster gear - these weren't greased at the factory and should not be greased now. Grease will actually prevent these parts from turning smoothly and course tracking will suck.
  • Top hat bushing - grease here will trap an air bubble and prevent the whole worm gear from sliding slightly as designed.
Lubricants that are safe for VCR should be good, be they silicone or a calcium stearate-based grease like Luberex. Don't use automotive lubricants, 3-in-1 or other light oils. You need something that will stay in place and not dissolve the nylon.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member