Let's talk on-rail shooters

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
After not having played a Panzer Dragoon game in xx years, I just got Orta in the mail and am pumped to play it tonight. PUMPED!

Thinking about it, I love on-rails shooters. I’m already intimately familiar with the Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, Afterburner and Sin & Punishment series…are there any other games I should be playing?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Off the top of my head both Rez and Child of Eden are worth a play through for sure. Crimson Dragon for kinect should also be cool to at least try,as its the spiritual successor to the Panzer Dragoon

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Completely forgot about Rez...yeah need to check that out for sure.

Is Child of Eden a kinect only game?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I played it on the ps3 with the move controllers personally, but yes the 360 one does support just the controller.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I really never enjoyed these at all.

Prolly the only one who hated S&P.

SpoonyBard

n00b
Orta is a great game! You should have a lot of fun with it. If you have the option though, play it on the original Xbox instead of the 360. The original Panzer Dragoon game is unlockable, but for some reason the 360 won't play it.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
lol

I hate both the original and the follow up on Wii. All the Dragoon games are boss though.

Only played Dragoon when I was in my rare game phase back in the late 90's

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Sin & Punishment, you funster.

:D

A lot of people ride high on Panzer Dragoon Saga too. I liked the game, but it just wasn't a traditional Panzer game I could get behind. Too short of a game.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
S&P on the Wii was a good game…but I will say it felt a bit bland/uninspired. I still enjoyed it, but yeah I would not say it was great. Maybe part of the problem was playing with the zapper. I should check and see if it supports the classic controller. If so, I should probably buy a controller and give the game another go…

However. the first S&P game on the N64 was killer. That stage where you broke off a piece of an aircraft carrier…and then flew around on it blowing up other aircraft carriers and jets. That was awesome. That is as good as gaming gets folks.

@ Spoonybard, yep I’ll be playing Orta on my original xbox, but thanks for the heads up about the original game, I forgot that was unlockable.

I never played PD Saga though. Not sure I ever will as I no longer have a Saturn and don’t intend to buy one any time soon…

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Star Successor does in fact support the classic controller, and I urge you to give it another go.

Spoiler:
The Missile Command homage in near the end is fantastic too

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Star Successor does in fact support the classic controller, and I urge you to give it another go.

Spoiler:

nice, i still have the game, so just need to pick the classic controller. i've been wanting to get one anyway for some wii ware games and tatsunoko. Consider it done!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I would have to say that my favorite on the rail shooter thats not a shmup( since you guys listed all the good ones already) would have to be House of the dead 2 and Time Crisis 3.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Panzer orta was awesome, played through that game many times. I really enjoyed saga as well.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Spoiler:

I played it with the zapper as well and I didn't care for it...maybe I'll give it another shot when the Wii dips below $50.

Gozer

Armored Scrum Object
I'm thinking about picking up Child of Eden at some point. I remember hearing that the 360 and ps3 versions had differences aside from the motion control schemes. I remember hearing that the ps3 version had less content than the 360 version.

Any truth to this?

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Sin & Punishment, Rez, and Child of Eden are all favorites of mine, but there will always be a place in my heart for Elemental Gear Bolt on PS1. I remember I bought in on a whim at a Micro Play on day, and it was my 3rd game for the system I think. I was pleasantly surprised because I didn't really know what kind of game I was in for.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Off the top of my head both Rez and Child of Eden are worth a play through for sure. Crimson Dragon for kinect should also be cool to at least try,as its the spiritual successor to the Panzer Dragoon

Rez is a great game. Loved it so much, I paid WAAAAY too much to import the Soundtrack from Japan!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Sin & Punishment, Rez, and Child of Eden are all favorites of mine, but there will always be a place in my heart for Elemental Gear Bolt on PS1. I remember I bought in on a whim at a Micro Play on day, and it was my 3rd game for the system I think. I was pleasantly surprised because I didn't really know what kind of game I was in for.

We used to have a Microplay down here, I worked there..... and shut it down from buying all of their stock :(