Like Macross? Hate Harmony Gold? You gonna *love* THIS!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I used to be in the 'Robotech is better camp.'

Then I actually watched SDF Macross. I'm in the midst of watching Macross Plus.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Wait, so they're STILL not re-releasing the original SDF series?? I've been so close to pulling the trigger on the Animeigo box set...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wait how have they not released it? There's a full English dub of SDF Macross. That's how I watched it recently.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I don't know. I was able to find the dub on Hulu back in the day, but I want the sub version. And more importantly, I just want to own a physical copy of it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I used to be in the 'Robotech is better camp.'

Then I actually watched SDF Macross. I'm in the midst of watching Macross Plus.
Spoiler alert: All of the Macross sequels absolutely suck except for Frontier, which is kind of okay.

Macross is a prime example of how not to continue a franchise.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Spoiler alert: All of the Macross sequels absolutely suck except for Frontier, which is kind of okay.

Macross is a prime example of how not to continue a franchise.
No love for Plus? That's the only sequel I've checked out because I've heard how lame the rest are supposed to be.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Wait, so they're STILL not re-releasing the original SDF series?? I've been so close to pulling the trigger on the Animeigo box set...
I can give you the original SDF series in HD 1080p. I have both the Japanese Macross 30th Anniversary Blu-ray Box Set series as well as the Robotech series remastered.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I've been so close to pulling the trigger on the Animeigo box set...

I wouldn’t wait too much longer, prices are only going up.
It’s ~$350 used on Amazon, sold out at both robotech.c o m and Animeigo.c o m, and eBay doesn’t have all 9 volumes piecemeal, or the boxed set.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I wouldn’t wait too much longer, prices are only going up.
It’s ~$350 used on Amazon, sold out at both robotech.c o m and Animeigo.c o m, and eBay doesn’t have all 9 volumes piecemeal, or the boxed set.
The box sets pop up about once a month - I have an alert set for them. Just gonna pull the trigger next time I see one, cuz you're right, they're only gonna get more expensive.

Relatedly, I've always been on the DVD train, not Blu-ray, but I finally made the switch and went to get the Blu-ray versions of the Eva movies. Holy shit. I'm glad to have the black and metal box sets and the End of Eva box set, plus the Rebuild movies - all on DVD. But the prices on the Blu-ray Rebuilds are insane.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Unfortunately you're pretty much right.

Macross Plus is the only sequel I'd call 'good' although I will say that I wanted to like Macross 0 but my enthusiasm for it only reached about 60 percent.

Macross 7 is a perfect example of what happens when you try to evolve the concepts while trying too hard to retain the flavor of the original.

The series is really very silly when you think about it. I think I respect the passion of Kawamori & co. more than anything.

Macross is a prime example of how not to continue

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
If it means macross dyrl finally get's a official here then good.
What the heck are you even talking about? We got an official one in the 80s, bruh!

936ee74b38bb1ca3d398a64d8cfc4a33.png

:kekeke::kekeke::kekeke::kekeke::kekeke:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
What the heck are you even talking about? We got an official one in the 80s, bruh!

:kekeke::kekeke::kekeke::kekeke::kekeke:
A MAN AND A WOMAN!??!?!?!

WHAT'S THAT!??!?!

A MAN AND A WOMAN!!!!

IT

MUST

BE

PRO

TO

CUL

TURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Minmei was into that freaky cousin sensuality

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Oh don't remind me i use to have a copy of it on vhs.It's dub is so bad it's definitely hilarious.By the way dyrl has had a release on bluray for japan nothing for the west though.
[video]

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
why can't they just dump Harmony Gold?
this is the worst news ever as it just means more revenue for Harmony Gold

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
why can't they just dump Harmony Gold?
this is the worst news ever as it just means more revenue for Harmony Gold
Outside of Japam, Harmony Gold has exclusive distribution rights.

Before Big West bought the IP, Tatsunoko (who had distribution rights at the time) signed the 'Robotech' deal with HG. Tatsunoko has signed a similar agreement with Fasa to use the mecha likeness with Fasa. This is why you see Macross mecha in those earliest editions.

Harmony Gold argued that Fasa shouldn't be allowed to use the designs, citing domain and rather than get into a legal battle over likeness, Fasa changed the designs. Once Fasa had given up the fight, and wisely so because it would have just been a money pit and they were more concerned about their own brand anyway, HG had no opposition UNTIL Big West.

Big West had a few deals with HG. That's how Macross Plus came stateside. But they weren't happy with having to give HG any of the proceeds, since they had nothing to do with the productions. Releasing the products overseas was a way to boost profits and they hadn't signed a similar deal with HG. They argued that HG didn't have any right or entitlements to productions post thenTatsunomo/HG deal.

They went to court over it in Japan and Big West lost, citing that the rights were for the Macross trademark globally and that Big West was infringing on HG's licensing rights outside of Japan.

Two years ago, I believe, the license was up and everyone expected Big West to finally be free of a contract they never signed. Only...Tatsunoko renewed for another 35 years at practically the 11th hour.

So Big West had to make a choice. Continue to exist in a small market when so many other anime series are benefitting from internatoinal revenue streams or get their product out into the world where they would, mathematically, make more money. More money means new productions, more licensing and, most importantly, avoiding the irrelevance of Macross as an IP. What good is this IP if it just starves to the point where it is withered and no one cares? It"s an attrition war they couldn't win.

So they played ball.

The end.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
right. we know all that.
BUT
Rights or exclusive rights are not indefinite unless they wrote the world's worst contract.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
right. we know all that.
BUT
Rights or exclusive rights are not indefinite unless they wrote the world's worst contract.
I said in my summary that Big West already tried to shed themselves of Harmony Gold and couldn't. Japanese courts already ruled on that.

I also said Tatsunoko renewed the contract with HG at the 11th hour.

It's like you didn't read the post.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I said in my summary that Big West already tried to shed themselves of Harmony Gold and couldn't. Japanese courts already ruled on that.

I also said Tatsunoko renewed the contract with HG at the 11th hour.

It's like you didn't read the post.
that's because I didn't. and it still doesnt explain why they renewed....