Limited Run Games - Fu'un Super Combo

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Icarus met her in person and clearly, she wants to be addressed this way. The detail about her being a trans woman doesn't matter to me and won't affect my manners, either. What's next, you want to dead name her to prove your point?

I identify as a F-22 Raptor and I demand to be adressed that way.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
LRG is the Mondo of gaming, except at one point Mondo was awesome.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Limited Run Games kind of kill the essence of what was once a fun pass time, that being collecting games. This way back when, mid to late 90s and up to around 2010. You already had some trying to bleed the "scene", retrogaming roundtable with their rarity lists and ngf

LGR have basically made a synthetic collection piece which only by certain definition is in line with what game collecting once truly ment. They focus in exclusively on the fetishistic nature of the practice and it is kind of an ugly thing to witness, reducing the nature of "collecting" to something speculative and of little aesthetic value.
There's no real passion here.
Maybe I'm wrong I don't know

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
You are right. These releases neither are meant to be played nor meant for collecting. They're just pointless.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
You are right. These releases neither are meant to be played nor meant for collecting. They're just pointless.

Eh I disagree. I think making physical releases of digital only games is solid since online services eventually go offline. Often times they also have all the DLC on the disc.

I wish Scott Pilgrim last gen had a physical. There’s a few others.

I like their open preorder they do for certain games, like the messenger, rather than this “we made 2,000 - sales go live at 7AM. Good luck” bullshit that is purely to get collectards.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
There's always the MVS or AES cart plus the double pack has been released for PS2 too. I don't see the point in releasing the game again rather than cash grab (aka 'limited' classic version). And it will sell anyways :oh_no:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
There's always the MVS or AES cart plus the double pack has been released for PS2 too. I don't see the point in releasing the game again rather than cash grab (aka 'limited' classic version). And it will sell anyways :oh_no:

Well, the AES cart was Japan only (sans what, 5 euro carts?), and the PS2 port was Japan only too.

So that honestly makes this the first time Kizuna Encounter got a retail US release.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

I agree, though, if LRG was a deeply jpn. company, releasing deeply jpn. indie and classic games... I wonder if that would make a difference.

I identify as a F-22 Raptor and I demand to be adressed that way.

That's another side of the same coin and you're right, it can take quickly ridiculous proportions. It's also oversimplifying things, which are more complex, so that a slogan like this could fully express them. But that's way beside the point, because it seemed that Stefan was only after cheap sensationalism, which is just that: cheap.

Edit: To avoid derailing the thread into SJW idiocy... long ahead of this conversation, but somehow before it ever took place, there was The Grand Duchy of Robonia, a fictional country used by Bender Bending Rodríguez to enter the 3004 Fembot Olympic Games under the pseudonym Coilette – I think her comment will be valid for generations to come.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Well, the AES cart was Japan only (sans what, 5 euro carts?)

This story has never been fully explained. In an era where manuals and covers were offset pressed, only 5 of anything doesn’t make any sense.

Unless the rest of the EU run was lost at sea, in a fire, or pilfered off the shipping lorries...

What gives?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I agree, though, if LRG was a deeply jpn. company, releasing deeply jpn. indie and classic games... I wonder if that would make a difference.

I feel stupid for not realizing what the Japanese indie development scene is like...surely there has to be a scene, but it seems overshadowed by western indie games (stuff like Cuphead, Fez, Braid [fuck that came out 11 years ago], errr etc etc).

I know Cave Story and that's it, and that came out like 15 years ago.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Generally I get the positive idea of limited run; getting a physical copy of something that otherwise wouldn't see one... But generally they've been darling/well known/infamous titles (not always great). I have zero sense here that there was even a limited run kind of amount of people who were on the lookout for this... There may well be more fans than I realise, but I don't think so, and thus it's kind of easy to start getting a little cynical...

I would have though, slug, garou or even those last blade releases would be a more celebrated limited run for example?

Glad for people who's jam this really is. Just surprised if there's many out there.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Haven’t really played Savage Reign, but Kizuna’s pretty fun. It’s biggest problem is that there just isn’t enough content. I mean, a tag game with only 10 characters means one match has nearly half the entire roster in it. There’s a really small number of stages too, and half of those are just day/night variants. It’s a shame because the tag zone mechanics are really cool.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
cheap sensationalism

Cheap shot satire was much more along the lines of what I had in mind. I don't even know who these aforementioned "Icarus" & "Kamui" persons are, just that the latter alias/pseudonym is an ancient, traditionally masculine creator god name(Mosirkara Kamuy) found in Japan's Ainu belief systems & mythology.

The dojinshi software scene in Japan dates back more than 30 years ago, particularly the homemade hobbyist games programmed for Sharp, NEC, & Fujitsu consumer grade computers of the 1980s.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This story has never been fully explained. In an era where manuals and covers were offset pressed, only 5 of anything doesn’t make any sense.

Unless the rest of the EU run was lost at sea, in a fire, or pilfered off the shipping lorries...

What gives?

+1

I feel stupid for not realizing what the Japanese indie development scene is like...surely there has to be a scene, but it seems overshadowed by western indie games (stuff like Cuphead, Fez, Braid [fuck that came out 11 years ago], errr etc etc).

Sup LS! The japanese doujin game/indie scene has been around for so long that we're probably just desensitized to it. Doujin fighter titles that eventually saw console ports like Melty Blood, etc still happen today; they're just not as popular as the western indie titles that english sites like to promote and discuss.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Where are the "Super Limited" five european copies? To be fair I would actually love to see Limited Run Games release something that hasn't already been released digitally. Take for example Jet Set Radio Future and make a 3000 copies print run to current gen consoles.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
They are fun games, but they are kind of generic B tier fighters. If they hadn't been on Neo they would have been forgotten long ago by anyone except OGs.

Generic? I don't know of other games of that time that let you hurl projectiles via multiple planes like Savage Reign, I found that quite refreshing. Also I consider Gordon the best policeman style fighter. (yes, that includes Striker - but I can understand that personal tastes may vary greatly on that opinion)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Generic? I don't know of other games of that time that let you hurl projectiles via multiple planes like Savage Reign, I found that quite refreshing. Also I consider Gordon the best policeman style fighter. (yes, that includes Striker - but I can understand that personal tastes may vary greatly on that opinion)

Maybe generic was the wrong word? But nobody in the arcades really gave two shits about it when it was actually new, and like all the other SF clones that weren't Mortal Kombat or SNK's better games it would have been forgotten long ago except for eccentric arcade collectors if it had been on its own PCB and not on the Neo Geo system.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Why does it have to be Limited Run Games... you could turn their business model on its head and it would still be a viable one and give as much copies as possible of games but no, they have to go through the flipper pandering route where you have to click "buy" within 15 seconds of whenever they decide to accept orders.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
As the original successor to the Fatal Fury series, I was definitely a huge fan of both games in the Fu'un series. The projectile battles from across planes in Savage Reign felt like an interesting spin on the plane-shifting gameplay from the Fatal Fury titles at the time.

From a continuity perspective, I was really digging the futuristic take on South Town; with the setting having become more and more corrupt/lawless as we moved from Art of Fighting to Fatal Fury and finally to Fu'un.

Some of the pre-MotW Fatal Fury lore/plot ties were pretty interesting too. I did a write-up about it here a couple years ago for those who are Fatal Fury story fans:

Fatal Fury and the Fuu'un series Chung continuity

Without crossing too far over into old discussions concerning the SNK series timeline as a whole, I'd like to focus on the Fatal Fury and Fuu'un series continuity concerning Chung Paifu.

Background:

Fatal Fury Canon:
Fatal Fury*>Fatal Fury 2>Fatal Fury 3>Real Bout>Real Bout 2**>MOTW

Non-canon:
Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special: Dominated Mind, Fatal Fury First Contact

*Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition is an alternate retelling of the first game
** Real Bout 2 is sometimes excluded from the timeline and I wanted to know if anyone had a compelling reason why. Unlike FFS and RBFFS, according to "All About SNK 1991-2000", the game is not officially listed as having "no story". The games' story is stated to focus on Rick Strowd.

Terry's ending in Real Bout Fatal Fury depicts the appearance of a blond haired child with a blue hat who would also appear in his Real Bout 2 ending:

View attachment 41384
View attachment 41385

We know that this blond haired child is Rock Howard, but it's the blue hat I want to focus on:

View attachment 41386

The Fu'un games were intended to take place in the same timeline as the Fatal Fury series and featured decendants and ties to Fatal Fury characters. Chang's bio states that he received his hat from the "Legendary Wolf". This is usually understood to be an allusion to Terry Bogard. However, Terry's hat was an iconic red cap. This is a detail that would not be missed when the time came to create the design for older Rock. Despite promotional art for MOTW depicting Terry passing on the hat to Rock, neither Terry nor Rock wear the iconic cap in MOTW.

View attachment 41387

The red color aspect of the design is instead used in Rock's jacket. Rock went through alternate designs before he resembled the Rock we know from MOTW. Considering that Rock was originally depicted as sporting a blue cap prior to his redesign in MOTW, Rock may have been the intended new "Legendary Wolf" who was to pass on his hat to Chang. This would explain why the hat that Chung wears is blue rather than the expected red.

Of course, the Fu'un series did not take off and the future of the Fatal Fury series would move in a new direction with the release of MOTW featuring revamped designs and a new take on South Town.

Since then, there have been interviews stating officially that Real Bout 2 has no plot/canon, though it is interesting that Lao was introduced in that game's opening (getting beat up lol) and became a canonical member of B. Jenet's Lillien Knights in MotW.

Last edited: