Linguistic Experiment Part 2

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
I had a bit of a eureka moment in the bathtub, and realized that I'm going to have to collect a little more data in order to write my article up properly.

I went into work, collated all your answers, analyzed them in terms of speech acts, and then used that analysis to create a set of five generic responses for each picture.

What I would like for you to do now is to choose the one response that you think is the most "normal" for each picture.

A bit of clarification - please don't choose the answer that you would normally say in that situation, please choose the answer that you think the majority of people would normally say.

For example, a dedicated Tolkien fan might say "hail and well met" in Elvish every time they greet someone. However, this person would (hopefully) realize that normal human beings just say "hello" when they greet people, and would select "hello" as a normal response on a survey.

If you didn't participate in the first survey you can still participate in this one, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you choose the answer you think most people would say in that situation.

You don't have to explain or justify your answer or anything. Just choose one of the letters for each picture. It should take you less time than posting in either a birthday thread or a weekly gaming roundup. I get data, you get a +1!

Thanks again guys.

PICTURE 1
Picture1.jpg

A) I'm head of marketing at XXX corporation.
B) Let's try to have a good relationship.
C) I look forward to working with you.
D) I've heard so much about you.
E) How do you do?

PICTURE 2
Picture2.jpg

F) What have you been up to lately?
G) I'm grateful for the meal.
H) This looks delicious!
I) Bon appetit.
J) Let's eat!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Hmm, so business interactions between racial boundries and how that adds to different methods of speech? Racist...

C, F

Racist.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
1. E
2. F

(i think those were my exact answers in the other thread!)

tsukaesugi

Bump.

I'd like to get about ten more respondents if possible.

Easy +1 post count here guys.

Spam now spam often.

tsukaesugi

Bump.

Going into work in three hours for more data crunching.

Last chance for an easy +1!!!!1!111!1

aria

Former Moderator
Interesting, I could definitely think of two for each, but these were the ones I thought were most likely by a smidge:

1: C
2: F

aria

Former Moderator
1. C

2. I

I? Perhaps in Germanistan --if someone said that to me I'd be a bit weirded out... unless they were wearing a monocle and a top hat.

[EDIT: Spinmaster's officially gone native]