Lonesage, what is Chinaland TV like?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Do you watch any?

Do they have all the same shit as anyone other country, soap operas, documentaries, sitcoms etc?

Or do they import most of it?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nah they only play this shit in between CCP propaganda

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If you thought the lowest common denominator stuff in your country was bad, you don't know how bad it gets here.

TV shows are a mix of:

-dramas where the main plot is getting married and having babies

-WWII pieces where Chinese gun down Japanese soldiers

-old dynasty dramas that are fucking gay about drama in the imperial palace

-talent shows that are mindnumblingly mild, inoffensive, and boring

And that's basically it. Documentaries largely focus on (as what most conversations here are focused on) food.

I had my sister-in-law (who is a fucking millionaire) ask me a few years ago while watching a dynasty drama, "America only has a few hundred years of history, so what shows can they have?"

On the plus side, it is extremely easy to stay out of the pop culture loop in China. That was actually a very big plus for me. So they have all these shows but no one really talks about them or cares about them.

One of the things missing from ten years ago are vendors selling pirated DVDs. Like 15-in-1 DVD movies. There are a few streaming web sites that operate with impunity. Try this link, see if it shows up: https://www.aimeiju5.com/

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
If you thought the lowest common denominator stuff in your country was bad, you don't know how bad it gets here.

TV shows are a mix of:

-dramas where the main plot is getting married and having babies

-WWII pieces where Chinese gun down Japanese soldiers

-old dynasty dramas that are fucking gay about drama in the imperial palace

-talent shows that are mindnumblingly mild, inoffensive, and boring

And that's basically it. Documentaries largely focus on (as what most conversations here are focused on) food.

I had my sister-in-law (who is a fucking millionaire) ask me a few years ago while watching a dynasty drama, "America only has a few hundred years of history, so what shows can they have?"

On the plus side, it is extremely easy to stay out of the pop culture loop in China. That was actually a very big plus for me. So they have all these shows but no one really talks about them or cares about them.

One of the things missing from ten years ago are vendors selling pirated DVDs. Like 15-in-1 DVD movies. There are a few streaming web sites that operate with impunity. Try this link, see if it shows up: https://www.aimeiju5.com/
Site doesn't load for me.
I am sad Chinese panda.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
No comedy, at all?
What would happen if, because of this show, learned men work to pronounce it permissible to laugh at everything? Can we laugh at Mao? The world would relapse into chaos.

StevenK

10 Year Member
This thread is depressing.

What are the big sporting domestic sporting events people watch?

Something, anything, that isn't just shitting on other countries.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No comedy, at all?
SML nailed it. You have to think about the entire culture of comedy in a country where freedom of speech is limited. At the same time, I recognize because of Confucian values in Asian societies it's not uncommon that there's no equivalent to a George Carlin even in Japan.

As you can imagine comedy here is extremely bland and mostly about puns, because there are many homophones in the Chinese language.

Now that you mention it, last November there was a big comedy show, kind of like Last Comic Standing where people vote for the funniest person (not that I trust it wasn't rigged). It was so horrible. I don't understand how this shit is popular. I'll look around the room and see if Chinese people are truly entertained and it's mindboggling.

NBA is big here.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
No reality shows where celebrities sit around eating? Very different from South Korean TV.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Now that you mention it, last November there was a big comedy show, kind of like Last Comic Standing where people vote for the funniest person (not that I trust it wasn't rigged). It was so horrible. I don't understand how this shit is popular. I'll look around the room and see if Chinese people are truly entertained and it's mindboggling.

Sounds like an opportunity.

China, what a country!

StevenK

10 Year Member
Do they still enjoy that elvis impersonator prancing backwards and forwards across the screen?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
i'm assuming china at least has, like korea and japan, some form of variety show with a heavy emphasis on corny, slapstick humor
The Japanese stand up comedy scene is bizarre by US standards. It's like 1930s vaudville-style 2 man comedy teams like Abbott & Costello or whatever, doing word play and sketch type scenarios sometimes absurd or even surreal like Monty Python or whatever. But with zero social commentary, zero reference to current culture or events, zero taking a swing at politicians or other public figures, nothing. Sometimes funny anyway, but safe, inoffensive. I do often wonder that if they're doing Abbott & Costello now, might they have a Richard Pryor 50 years from now. I wonder if they're just running behind but will eventually get there, or whether the culture prevents it from ever happening.