Long Term Cab Storage

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
As my life continues to go down the tubes, I'm now forced to put all my gaming stuff (and everything I own) in storage for an undetermined amount of time. I'm not ready to start selling off... yet... and hopefully never...

I've read about storage for consoles and carts and everything, but does anyone have any tips for long term cab storage?

Would a climate controlled unit really make a difference for a cab?

Would it help to turn it on every now and then?

Any parts to protect/remove/disconnect?

I'm sure it would probably be fine either way, but just wanted to see if you guys had anything to say.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you had access to a climate controlled unit I would definitely go that route.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Sorry to hear things aren't going your way. Keep your head up, keep moving forward.

About the cabs, it won't hurt to fire them up now and again.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Yeah I think climate control would help with rust and shit. Hopefully there's a plug nearby!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
How much does a storage space usually cost?

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Yeah it is way too much. I would rather keep my stuff with me, not pay to keep them away from me, but I have no options. I got a 10' x 10' for $93 per month.

rvls

Crazed MVS Addict
Sounds about right. I had a 10x10 unit for a couple years in college and it ran about 105/mo :(. Good luck man.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Wow that's pricey might as well sell it and buy later on.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
Ha, there is much more going in the unit than just 1 cab.

I don't have any actual scientific data to back this up, but if you *don't* have a climate controlled unit, but if the place you're renting with has both outdoor units (ie, you're standing outdoors when you open the door) as well as the slightly larger buildings where fewer (or zero) walls are shared with the outside, I expect those to have at least modestly more stable temperatures. And less dust. That's the other thing. If you store anything that isn't super controlled, it's amazing how much dust gets in there EVEN IF YOU NEVER OPEN IT. I had a storage locker (just a 5x5) that I literally didn't open for half a year and when I got there everything was caked in a layer of filth. (Thankfully most things were in bins/tubs or otherwise covered.)

Non controlled units not only are probably worse for humidity etc (depending what state/etc you're in, this may be less or more of an issue) but also they can get to fairly extreme temps as well.

SpoonyBard

n00b
Maybe you could rent them out to someone? I have no room for my cab at the moment so I keep it at a friends bar. He's happy to have something to amuse the customers and i'm happy to have access to it while making a few bucks off of it.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
I don't have any actual scientific data to back this up, but if you *don't* have a climate controlled unit, but if the place you're renting with has both outdoor units (ie, you're standing outdoors when you open the door) as well as the slightly larger buildings where fewer (or zero) walls are shared with the outside, I expect those to have at least modestly more stable temperatures. And less dust. That's the other thing. If you store anything that isn't super controlled, it's amazing how much dust gets in there EVEN IF YOU NEVER OPEN IT. I had a storage locker (just a 5x5) that I literally didn't open for half a year and when I got there everything was caked in a layer of filth. (Thankfully most things were in bins/tubs or otherwise covered.)

Non controlled units not only are probably worse for humidity etc (depending what state/etc you're in, this may be less or more of an issue) but also they can get to fairly extreme temps as well.
I was originally going to go for non climate controlled and take a gamble, but this stuff is moving to Colorado where there are extreme seasonal temperature changes. I changed to a unit that is inside like you mentioned (and climate controlled). I'd hate for humidity to ruin all the game/console boxes. If I'm going to pay for this, I might as well do it right and not half ass it.

The dust thing is something I didn't think about, so good call on mentioning that. I'm going to have to bag and box up a lot of stuff (mostly console boxes) so it's not just sitting in the unit unprotected.

Maybe you could rent them out to someone? I have no room for my cab at the moment so I keep it at a friends bar. He's happy to have something to amuse the customers and i'm happy to have access to it while making a few bucks off of it.
That's a good idea actually. It would be some good karma to let someone have my cab for a period of time. I'd have to find the right person who knows about arcades already, because I'm super picky, lol.

Thanks for all the comments guys.