Look Mah, no graphics card! Laptops!!!

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Basically these integrated GPU dies on processors are almost as good as a real graphics card. Even a weak old laptop performs in many ways better than a current gen system. (PS4 Xbox One)

Been meaning to make this thread for a few years now.

Couple years ago I found an early i7 laptop in the scrap trash at work. I did a little work in my spare time to get it up and running and as a joke I installed Steam on it. I hadn't bought anything new in several years but found almost all PS3 Gen games ran flawlessly on in, in fact better in some ways because you can control more aspects of it like display anti aliasing ect..possibly giving the games a better look and feel.

Anyways this is no surprise to PC people because typically your cheapo standard PC could run games say a 1.5 generation system and further back.

This is different because because in the past you would have an integrated graphics chip on your computer. These current crop of Intels basically have that chip built into the CPUs and they can dynamically swap system ram and use it as video ram just like a GPU would.

You would imagine this wouldn't work as smoothly but you'd be wrong.

Also more consoles these days are using PC type architecture, (looking at you xbox)and the raw power throughput specs are impressive compared to the old days.

I've always regretted buying my PS4. I just had to have Fallout 4 when it came out though. I built my own computer around 8 years ago and it was more of a budget build as well. My system didn't quite meet minimum specs. About six months after I bought the system and game I saw a video on Youtube of someone playing it with lower specs then my system and it still looked and played better than it did on the PS4.

I always felt F4 looked like complete ass on the PS4. I would guess many of these American developers can't be bothered to figure out how to properly compile for Sony systems and its unique architecture.

I have an EA Star Wars game I got with the system and it looks amazing but most games IMO don't look much better than PS3/360 games. shrugs

I purchased a used i5 laptop than is slightly smaller and more solid state, uses slightly less electricity. The specs are slightly less than the I7 though but in some ways a little better and has a few more features overall. I gave away the I7 laptop to a girl I was dating.

Any ways I took advantage of the recent Steam sale and bought F4 just for the fun of it and it looks and plays 100x better than it does for the PS4. Again this is a pretty much stock older laptop that has no dedicated GPU.

I also bought Outerworlds for it and after tweaking it it's totally playable albeit with some poor frame rates and dropout issues but I imagine it still looks better than it would on a console.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
sure, if you got low standards.

Just saying next build I'm going to blow my whole load on everything except a GPU. I'll bide my time to find the right one at the right price 3-12 months later and be that much happier with it once it's complete. Especially recently those things can be extremely volatile with pricing and availability because people are hoarding them for crypto currency mining and other apilications.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I really don't understand how SoCs don't overheat since they're running general processing, graphics, and audio...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
compared to PS4, they are fine. It does require you to turn off many modern effects.
I game on my laptop when I travel, but I definitely notice a difference compared to a real GPU.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, good Gpu's are harder to find now at retail price than ps5's. I hope things eventually go back to normal. I'm on a waiting list for one right now. I just recently built a new pc but still rocking a good but slightly outdated Gpu from my last build.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yea, good Gpu's are harder to find now at retail price than ps5's. I hope things eventually go back to normal. I'm on a waiting list for one right now. I just recently built a new pc but still rocking a good but slightly outdated Gpu from my last build.

Are bitcoin people still snatching up GPUs?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Are bitcoin people still snatching up GPUs?

It's a combination of bot scalpers and the bitcoin crowd. The Rtx 30 Series cards are selling out within minutes. Only way to get one now @ retail is to become a member of a website like EVGA, Geforce, MSI, etc and subscribe to a mailing list or sign up to be put on a waiting list. This seems to be the new norm now in days. I'm not in rush and no way will I pay some stupid mark up on video game stuff.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
question is: do you really REALLY need a new GPU right now? if not: relax and wait for the Super/Ti/whatever versions.

I can't imagine playing anything using AMD's Vega or whatever it is intel uses nowadays.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Basically these integrated GPU dies on processors are almost as good as a real graphics card. Even a weak old laptop performs in many ways better than a current gen system. (PS4 Xbox One)

Been meaning to make this thread for a few years now.

Couple years ago I found an early i7 laptop in the scrap trash at work. I did a little work in my spare time to get it up and running and as a joke I installed Steam on it. I hadn't bought anything new in several years but found almost all PS3 Gen games ran flawlessly on in, in fact better in some ways because you can control more aspects of it like display anti aliasing ect..possibly giving the games a better look and feel.

Anyways this is no surprise to PC people because typically your cheapo standard PC could run games say a 1.5 generation system and further back.

This is different because because in the past you would have an integrated graphics chip on your computer. These current crop of Intels basically have that chip built into the CPUs and they can dynamically swap system ram and use it as video ram just like a GPU would.

You would imagine this wouldn't work as smoothly but you'd be wrong.

Also more consoles these days are using PC type architecture, (looking at you xbox)and the raw power throughput specs are impressive compared to the old days.

I've always regretted buying my PS4. I just had to have Fallout 4 when it came out though. I built my own computer around 8 years ago and it was more of a budget build as well. My system didn't quite meet minimum specs. About six months after I bought the system and game I saw a video on Youtube of someone playing it with lower specs then my system and it still looked and played better than it did on the PS4.

I always felt F4 looked like complete ass on the PS4. I would guess many of these American developers can't be bothered to figure out how to properly compile for Sony systems and its unique architecture.

I have an EA Star Wars game I got with the system and it looks amazing but most games IMO don't look much better than PS3/360 games. shrugs

I purchased a used i5 laptop than is slightly smaller and more solid state, uses slightly less electricity. The specs are slightly less than the I7 though but in some ways a little better and has a few more features overall. I gave away the I7 laptop to a girl I was dating.

Any ways I took advantage of the recent Steam sale and bought F4 just for the fun of it and it looks and plays 100x better than it does for the PS4. Again this is a pretty much stock older laptop that has no dedicated GPU.

I also bought Outerworlds for it and after tweaking it it's totally playable albeit with some poor frame rates and dropout issues but I imagine it still looks better than it would on a console.
I can't say I know much about this thing of having a GPU on a CPU. An old laptop won't support installing these new generation CPUs that you're talking about. I would be very surprised if they are as fast as a dedicated graphics card (which the majority of laptops don't have anyway, they more often have an integrated graphics chip on the motherboard, which usually isn't very powerful).

Everyone wants ray tracing graphics cards these days (Geforce 20, Geforce 30). As far as I know the Geforce 30 cards haven't been released for laptops. Geforce 30 is second generation ray tracing. Another reason to get a new graphics card is for more support for video decoding.

With consoles like the PS5, the price of a new console will go down after a year or two, as it is subsidized by game sales.
In general, laptop makers want you to upgrade your graphics by buying a new laptop. As that's the part that needs upgrading, not so much the CPU, if you already have a quad core i5 or i7.
If your laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port, you can use an external graphics card.

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I guess what it really comes down to is at what resolution will you be playing at and at what fps can you live with...

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm not much of a PC gamer these days. I built a media box that I sometimes play Doom on about a year and a half ago.

I have a Ryzen 3 APU, 8 GB DDR4, no dedicated GPU. It's good enough to stream media in 4K so that's all I really cared about. Built the whole thing for under 300 bucks.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I usually buy the top end Ti variant GPU every 3 years or so. It's getting expensive though even staggered years apart. Starting to feel that I'm not getting my values worth I mean the 3090 is about $2900 AUD for fucks sake. That's just bullshit! 5 years ago the equivalent card was $900.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I usually buy the top end Ti variant GPU every 3 years or so. It's getting expensive though even staggered years apart. Starting to feel that I'm not getting my values worth I mean the 3090 is about $2900 AUD for fucks sake. That's just bullshit! 5 years ago the equivalent card was $900.

Jesus

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You must be kidding? You mean, you actually bought a 3090 for 2900 AUD?
It's almost never the best way the do it, to buy the top CPU or GPU available. They cost way more than the second best, for only about 10% more performance. Although, the 3090 might be a special case, as it's the first Geforce GPU that really has the power to run 8K gaming.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I bought a pricey gpu once (980ti). Hybrid cooler and backplate was extra. Still own it and have it running on a 2nd rig. It still does 1080p and 1440p stuff rather well over 60fps no problem but 1660ti beats it now and that's a $260 card. I do enjoy pc gaming from time to time and want to make sure that I'm getting a good experience when I do but would never purchase a card over $400 again. $400 is my max but I think $200-300 range you could still find a solid card and get a good experience.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
It's never the best way the do it, to buy the top CPU or GPU available. They always cost way more than the second best, for only about 10% more performance. Although, the 3090 might be a special case, as it's the first Geforce GPU that really has the power to run 8K gaming.
Those who can, will. Silence koalautist.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's never the best way the do it, to buy the top CPU or GPU available. They always cost way more than the second best, for only about 10% more performance. Although, the 3090 might be a special case, as it's the first Geforce GPU that really has the power to run 8K gaming.

No Joe I didn't buy a 3090 I was saying the price hike is insane with my current way of upgrading every 3 or so years. I can't afford those sorts of prices going forward. I did however buy a 2080ti but that'll be the last one I buy until prices come back down.

Besides I've found it works quite well buying the top end card and sometimes it's that 10% that makes all the difference.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No Joe I didn't buy a 3090 I was saying the price hike is insane with my current way of upgrading every 3 or so years. I can't afford those sorts of prices going forward. I did however buy a 2080ti but that'll be the last one I buy until prices come back down.

Besides I've found it works quite well buying the top end card and sometimes it's that 10% that makes all the difference.
Technically, the top end card in the Geforce 20 series is the Titan RTX. But that's a lot more expensive.
I would agree that the 10 or 15% extra performance can make the difference, especially when it comes to CPUs.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The Titan series is almost never worth its ticket price in comparison to the Ti series. They're show cards.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
The Titan series is almost never worth its ticket price in comparison to the Ti series. They're show cards.

Isn't that really what the 3090 is?

I'm waiting to see what the 3070 ti/super looks like before I think about a new card.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Isn't that really what the 3090 is?

I'm waiting to see what the 3070 ti/super looks like before I think about a new card.

You could say that to be honest. A 3080 would be the Ti equivalent I guess they decided to do away with that and the Titan namesake, back to when they used to do dual GPU cards like the 690.

Strangely though the 3080 only has 10GB VRAM and the 3090 24GB, there is wiggle room between them in VRAM and core count for a 3080Ti admittedly but remains to be seen. Wouldn't surprise me if in 6 months we see it though.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
10GB is some bullshit though, only two more than the 2070. Not future-proof. AMDs new 6000 cards are fast but terrible at raytracing (and not like you could get one of those either). I'd wait for the next generation of 30x0 cards, maybe a 3080 with 12 or 16 GB.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
10GB is some bullshit though, only two more than the 2070. Not future-proof. AMDs new 6000 cards are fast but terrible at raytracing (and not like you could get one of those either). I'd wait for the next generation of 30x0 cards, maybe a 3080 with 12 or 16 GB.

Even the 2080ti has 11GB... and even a game like BFV still utilizes just over 10GB at 4K. To limit the 3080 like that and what introduce a new SKU with 12 or 16GB later? it's certainly bullshit.