Looking for a good bicycle

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
I might be getting a job which is about a 30 min walk but I'm looking to bike to work instead to save on gas and at same time lose some weight. What's the best brand or bike out there? I'm not looking for a mountain bike since they're slower on the streets than a regular bike, but somewhat closer to what people use on the Tour De France or the Olympics, but any suggestions?

SSS

neo retired
I might be getting a job which is about a 30 min walk but I'm looking to bike to work instead to save on gas and at same time lose some weight. What's the best brand or bike out there? I'm not looking for a mountain bike since they're slower on the streets than a regular bike, but somewhat closer to what people use on the Tour De France or the Olympics, but any suggestions?

I'd go with a hybrid. Smooth tread for street riding, but the frame and thicker tires is such that it allows for some minor offroad excursions if you choose. I personally have a Specialized all purpose model. Shimano shifter and brakes, seems to be of good build quality, fairly light too. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32563

they also have some really nice road bikes, if that's the route you choose to take.

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
I'd go with a hybrid. Smooth tread for street riding, but the frame and thicker tires is such that it allows for some minor offroad excursions if you choose. I personally have a Specialized all purpose model. Shimano shifter and brakes, seems to be of good build quality, fairly light too. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32563

they also have some really nice road bikes, if that's the route you choose to take.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I've had a Trek for about ten years. I don't take good care of it, but it usually worked (except for the occasional chain jam).

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I had a mountain bike for pretty much all my life, and didn't realise how much of a difference it makes to have a road bike. The fat tires and bigger bars associated with mountain bikes were the shit in the '90s and such, so I didn't think much of it, but once I picked-up a cheapo old road bike (with road tires, most importantly) I really felt bad, like I was pedaling twice as hard for my whole life, riding a MTB on the streets. Starting/stopping and especially coasting are a million times more effective on the streets if you're using a road bike, so unless you're interested in cutting through peoples' yards or going over park trails, then go with a dedicated road bike. You won't regret it.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Shimano's ROADMASTER bikes are great bikes if that's your thing. But if you don't mind a little work out, go BMX like I have as of late. You can either go straight up "Old School" with the one piece cranks and mostly Cromoly frames, or get into some "New School" alumnium and Scandium frames the likes of Super Cross bikes. This way your bike looks cool [most BMX frames were sleek], it has the versatility of a mountain bike, especially if it's the new school stuff you could drop from 60 feet in the air on and not split the head tube or break the frame... and you stay in better shape at the one speed.

Just representin' is all. The Global Concept G4 by BH is a nice riding road bike too. Got to test one of these out a month back, rides smooth as silk... but I'm more into BMX. Just thought I'd give my 2cents. Have a great day.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I had a mountain bike for pretty much all my life, and didn't realise how much of a difference it makes to have a road bike. The fat tires and bigger bars associated with mountain bikes were the shit in the '90s and such, so I didn't think much of it, but once I picked-up a cheapo old road bike (with road tires, most importantly) I really felt bad, like I was pedaling twice as hard for my whole life, riding a MTB on the streets. Starting/stopping and especially coasting are a million times more effective on the streets if you're using a road bike, so unless you're interested in cutting through peoples' yards or going over park trails, then go with a dedicated road bike. You won't regret it.

Yeah when I got a roadbike last year I was like WTF when I was haulin ass down the road compared to the Mountain Bike.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Cannondale/Trek/Specialized/Merlin are all high quality, durable bikes.

All of the above are expensive new so I would also recommend buying used via craigslist or a second hand bike shop in your area. I've found quite a few people buy a $1000+ bike, never ride it, and sell it for half or less than half price a year or so later.