Looking for Advice/Feed back. SuperGun MVS or Consoleized MVS

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I finally decided to take the plunge and go for a MVS board. I had enough of ports and emulation.

What I can't decide is should I go for a supergun set up or go for a Consoleized MVS.

For me wring up a jamma harness and wirng up adapters isn't an issue.

If I go the Supergun route, I definitely hit up Jasen hicks. He makes some nice stuff and he is quite helpful.

If I go for a Consoleized MVS I was thinking of skipping the hassle and getting a Omega MVS.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Depends on whether you want to be able to play other non MVS PCBs later. If so, supergun is the smarter way to go. However, you could always do both and have the best of both worlds! ;)

If you don't need component/composite/svideo and have a display that can take pure rgb then you might want to hit up Xian Xi for a more cost effective cmvs that will still be top quality.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I have a supergun and an AES. Being able to play any JAMMA based game is really nice and I have moved into new games I otherwise would have never considered (PGM, CPS2, Cave PCBs, classic JAMMA games, etc). I am really happy with this capability.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have never gotten the AES and gone supergun with a single slot MVS. Heck, I might still sell off my AES collection and do that.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Depends on whether you want to be able to play other non MVS PCBs later. If so, supergun is the smarter way to go. However, you could always do both and have the best of both worlds! ;)

If you don't need component/composite/svideo and have a display that can take pure rgb then you might want to hit up Xian Xi for a more cost effective cmvs that will still be top quality.

Yeah I want to do a RGB video set up, I run alot of my game system on scart to my XRGB 2 Plus

I have a supergun and an AES. Being able to play any JAMMA based game is really nice and I have moved into new games I otherwise would have never considered (PGM, CPS2, Cave PCBs, classic JAMMA games, etc). I am really happy with this capability.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably have never gotten the AES and gone supergun with a single slot MVS. Heck, I might still sell off my AES collection and do that.

I am thinking of getting a one slot MVS board. I had my eyes on this one MVS MV1T.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
I just picked up both the Omega CMVS and a Supergun from Jasen, the best of both worlds and couldn't be happier.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Going with a supergun also means that you won't have to do modifications to the MVS board itself (besides the obligatory battery mod of course), which I find desirable. Also this way if you should ever pick up a cabinet, you can still use your board with that.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Thanks for everyones help and input so far

Going with a supergun also means that you won't have to do modifications to the MVS board itself (besides the obligatory battery mod of course), which I find desirable. Also this way if you should ever pick up a cabinet, you can still use your board with that.
I am planing to keep any modification to a minimum, and I did order a Jamma harness, so I will not be soldering directly to the board for the Jamma connections. I always believe wire up your work where you can dissemble when needed.
I also found a JST wire harness I think is suitable for the stereo connection,

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
something to keep in mind, MVS is a gateway drug to jamma. CMVS are great, and the Omega is awesome, but you may find your self wanting to play other arcade titles down the line.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
something to keep in mind, MVS is a gateway drug to jamma. CMVS are great, and the Omega is awesome, but you may find your self wanting to play other arcade titles down the line.

I keep that in mind. I haven't made any mods yet, I still waiting for the board to come in.

Would the Jasen hick's MK48 be fine for a MV 1 board?

[edit]
Yeah you got convinced me, I just go SuperGun, who knows if I Pick up another CPS2 or some other arcade board.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
[edit]
Yeah you got convinced me, I just go SuperGun, who knows if I Pick up another CPS2 or some other arcade board.

:) I wasn't trying to sway you one way or the other, I just know that I caught the "collect all things arcade bug" after getting a cmvs, and ended up selling it because it wasn't getting used. (I still have a one slot to play neo)

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
:) I wasn't trying to sway you one way or the other, I just know that I caught the "collect all things arcade bug" after getting a cmvs, and ended up selling it because it wasn't getting used. (I still have a one slot to play neo)

Oh I already have the Bug. It Started with console and game collecting and building arcade controllers. I just getting into the MVS stage of the bug.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Would the Jasen hick's MK48 be fine for a MV 1 board?

I have a MK48 (an older rev of it) and it would work just fine for an MV 1. It's a kick ass supergun, although expensive. In the end it cost me $1068 after I had bought all the parts for it (this includes two of Jasen's awesome sticks too).

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
My wife rejected me for any cabs in home so my dream to get slot MVS with cab is over :(
So CMVS is best way for me. My daughter and I always play Metal slug and MOTW together in weekend with 42" LCD component :)
But my MVS carts are not much and hope to get more in the future ;)

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I have a MK48 (an older rev of it) and it would work just fine for an MV 1. It's a kick ass supergun, although expensive. In the end it cost me $1068 after I had bought all the parts for it (this includes two of Jasen's awesome sticks too).

I don't recall spending that much.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The pricing sounds like something from neotropolis.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Are you fucking kidding me?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

:lolz:

That's like buying the $20k baseline Mustang and buy the time you are done adding on extras, it turns into $55k.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Are you fucking kidding me?

Not at all. The cases alone cost $418. Throw in $100 for a JROK and $220 for Sanwa parts for the sticks and that's already ~$750 before you've even gotten started. The remaining misc parts and the tools I needed to buy added up to another $250 very quickly.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I don't know what your target price is, and thats important. Lacking this information I'd say Omega (cMVS) and XRGB-mini, with a custom made or AES stick.
Not a cheap option, but the quality on a LCD should be fantastic. Also giving you the closest AES console experience, without AES cart prices.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Not at all. The cases alone cost $418. Throw in $100 for a JROK and $220 for Sanwa parts for the sticks and that's already ~$750 before you've even gotten started. The remaining misc parts and the tools I needed to buy added up to another $250 very quickly.

Man just buy a cab.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Well I don't need a JROK as I have a XRGB2 Plus, I will just wire the Supergun to scart.
I got a space PS2 Scart cable I can modify.

I got plenty of arcade sticks and it isn't hard to wire up a DB 15 connector.
I just looking to build the basic unit.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

Wait...did you seriously spend $220 in Sanwa parts? Like a full set of 8 buttons and a stick should only run like $40-$50.

And wtf, a case for $418. Jeez, I think I'm in the wrong business if people pay $400 for a case. You can get a cab for $400.

Last edited:

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Nice! Demanding pics now ;)

20140425_145650_zpsd60776b6.jpg

Wiring up for stereo

20140415_152950_zps2df0b9cd.jpg

Battery mod

The Super gun with the board

20140425_145553_zps607e9a4f.jpg

20140425_145613_zps77bac827.jpg

20140425_145711_zps95145a08.jpg