Lucy - Luc Besson's new movie that looks like a sequel to The Fifth Element.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I don't know which studio bought the distribution rights, but I've seen the trailer over and over again on tv and it isn't scheduled to release for weeks. Scarlett Johansson, sexy as ever. Luc Besson at the helm of a sci-fi/action flick...should be entertaining from start to finish by default. Morgan Freeman, adding another name that the Murican audience recognizes and appreciates to an otherwise fully French cast. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like what I see.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I will go see it if the general concensus is that it's good. Any sense of tension drained right out of me the second she walked into a room, did a hand gesture or whatever and everyone just fell down.

How am I possibly supposed to worry about what happens to a character with god powers? It's the same problem I had with Alice in the Resident Evil movies-if she could just do a sexy look and pose and the room explodes and there's no satisfactory explanation in the movie that limits the use of such an ability, why isn't she just doing that all the time?

I'm really hoping they explore more of the bad side effects of a person being able to use too much of their brainpower. It's really the only way I think I could care about this movie. Yeah, Scarlett's hot but I can see her being hot in a lot of stuff.

Plus, Besson is very hit or miss for me.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I just looked up this Besson guy and I like the stuff he's worked on in the past (some of it). I'll see this when it hits redbox like everything else. I'm sure it will be entertaining.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'd like to see a sequel to The Professional using Mathilda's character again grown up....considering she is :D

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lol, looks absolutely ridiculous.

Why is it always assumed that there's some kind of supreme knowledge to unlock in our brains? Knowledge comes from experience, not from within.

If we used 100% of our brains (we actually do... just not for cognition, which is what I'm assuming they're talking about), people would still be just as lazy and dumb. Stupid movie premise.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
so she has some sort of (strong)telekinesis going on right?
why does she bother with a gun then? if you can throw a bunch of guys around, couldn't you tear out and project bullet sized things anywhere you went?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
you sure do like to set yourself up for disappointment

Just think of it as being one of my character quirks.

On que, without missing a beat.

Although, I'd say once out of every ten times the hype train arrives as scheduled.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
lol, looks absolutely ridiculous.

Why is it always assumed that there's some kind of supreme knowledge to unlock in our brains? Knowledge comes from experience, not from within.

If we used 100% of our brains (we actually do... just not for cognition, which is what I'm assuming they're talking about), people would still be just as lazy and dumb. Stupid movie premise.

There's actually a significant bit of research into the possibility that humans could be capable of things like telekinesis, eidetic memory, telepathy, ambidexterity and even things like pyrokinesis, immovability and incredible reflexes and reaction time. And there are scientific theories to support many of them, although some of them seem far fetched at a glance.

Most of what you see in movies is just these ideas pumped up on steroids and turned into science fiction premises. Akira, Scanners, Mobile Suit Gundam, etc., etc. etc. They don't all specifically state that these powers come from being able to use more of your brainpower, but many of them find their roots in the study of the human brain and how much of it is accessible through evolution, either forced or natural.

My problem with this particular interpretation is in that Lucy is shown having all of these amazing powers. So where's the tension? This is a Luc Besson movie, so I'm not seeing the potential for a person breaking down, being unable to function, going externally catatonic while being internally within their own world.

Doctor Manhattan is still the best representation of a super intelligent person just getting 'bigger' than the world they live in and growing more and more detached from humanity.

I'm interested in the pitfalls of all this psychic power rather than the power fantasy. Akira did a great job of showing that. The manga vastly better than the movie, but even the movie did a decent job of it.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
these amazing powers. So where's the tension? This is a Luc Besson movie, so I'm not seeing the potential for a person breaking down, being unable to function, going externally catatonic while being internally within their own world.
ohhh thats why she'd have a gun! Thanks.

''stuff'' may have been more common/existed before, ''norms'' probably were jealous/and called it scared (like gun control now-eventually people having been able to have guns will seem like a joke to the ''box people''?)and got rid of the weirdos? the weirdos say thats what flouride is for you know to supress stuff, it is poison. if you believe in anything ethereal it isn't to hard to make the stretch that living things could manipulate ''something'' without physical contact. believing in anything gives it more power...you're maybe at least still, one who would ''cheer'' for a sports team? Uri Geller was presented as authentic when I grew up anyhow?:loco:

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There's actually a significant bit of research into the possibility that humans could be capable of things like telekinesis, eidetic memory, telepathy, ambidexterity and even things like pyrokinesis, immovability and incredible reflexes and reaction time. And there are scientific theories to support many of them, although some of them seem far fetched at a glance.

Ambidexterity, Reflexes and reaction time are one thing, but there's no scientific evidence to support telepathy, telekinesis, or pyrokinesis. You've been reading too much Stephen King. :keke:

There's no direct connection from the brain to the outside world (other than through your body of course), so that stuff is impossible.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Ambidexterity, Reflexes and reaction time are one thing, but there's no scientific evidence to support telepathy, telekinesis, or pyrokinesis. You've been reading too much Stephen King. :keke:

There's no direct connection from the brain to the outside world (other than through your body of course), so that stuff is impossible.

Bro, the point I'm trying to make is that it's not a stupid story because of the accusation that it's not founded in some form of real world study and theorization. Many of the powers she displays are related to the studies and theories posted regarding the ability to use more of one's brain power than is available to most of humanity.

It's a stupid story because if she can give a sexy look and knock a room full of people out, why should I even be worried what happens to this character? Where is the tension? Does anyone really want to watch a movie where a person blinks and people die and that serves as the 'action'?

They really should have saved the god powers for the movie, and used the trailer to build tension.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Because limits make things interesting. Unlimited power is silly and masturbatory.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Bro, the point I'm trying to make is that it's not a stupid story because of the accusation that it's not founded in some form of real world study and theorization. Many of the powers she displays are related to the studies and theories posted regarding the ability to use more of one's brain power than is available to most of humanity.

It's a stupid story because if she can give a sexy look and knock a room full of people out, why should I even be worried what happens to this character? Where is the tension? Does anyone really want to watch a movie where a person blinks and people die and that serves as the 'action'?

They really should have saved the god powers for the movie, and used the trailer to build tension.

Ok, I see where you're going. I do agree that this movie suffers from the same problem that Superman does. Invincible=boring.

However, the whole "human brain potential" thing is way played out too, and it's rubbish.

I think I'm gonna go watch Scanners and Firestarter now. :p

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Because limits make things interesting. Unlimited power is silly and masturbatory.

Well, there are more than 10K points of disdain to hand out. 9K is just a curious number to me.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Despite being a Besson fan this looks pretty blah from the trailer. La Femme Nikita is still my favorite Besson, closely followed by The Big Blue and The Professional.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's about as hilarious as having superman resorting to firing a gun to get a job done.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I see Choi Min-sik from Oldboy here as well. He's probably requisite villain fodder in this case.... :(

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thanks man, but I am only tops while Kabob trains with King Kai.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'll agree that a premise doesn't need to be realistic for a movie to work, but I'm still surprised that the premise of this movie is what I considered to be a widely stigmatized folk belief. I regularly use the statement "Albert Einstein once said we use only 10% of our brains." for a whole routine on logical fallacies, etc., in my classroom.