M2 ports nearly all Toaplan games to modern platforms

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Gematsu said:
M2 will release nearly every game developed by now-defunct Japanese studio Toaplan for console starting in 2020 in Japan, the company announced at its “ESP Ra.De. Christmas Party: M2 ShotTriggers Do-Kanshasai II” event in Akihabara today.

Mahjong Sisters and Enma Daio are among the titles that M2 will not release, M2 boss Naoki Horii said, as those would be difficult to put out on console.

Toaplan operated from 1984 to 1994 and created a wide array of arcade shoot ’em up titles during its run. It also worked on other genres with titles like Wardner and Get Star, which M2 also plans to release.

Here is Toaplan’s full catalog of games, via Wikipedia:

Jongou (1984)
Performan (1985)
Tiger-Heli (1985)
Jongkyou (1985)
Get Star / Guardian (1986)
Slap Fight / Alcon (1986)
Mahjong Sisters (1986)
Hishouzame / Sky Shark / Flying Shark (1987)
Wardner (no Mori) / Pyros (1987)
Kyuukyoku Tiger / Twin Cobra (1987)
Dash Yarou / Rally Bike (1988)
Tatsujin / Truxton (1988)
Hellfire (1989)
Daisenpuu / Twin Hawk (1989)
Zero Wing (1989)
Horro Story / Demon’s World (1989)
Same! Same! Same! / Fire Shark (1989)
Out Zone (1990)
Snow Bros.: Nick & Tom (1990)
Vimana (1991)
Teki Paki (1991)
Ghox (1991)
Pipi & Bibi’s / Whoopee!! (1992)
Dogyuun (1992)
Tatsujin Ou / Truxton II (1992)
Fixeight (1992)
Grind Stormer / V-V (1993)
Enma Daiou (1993)
Knucke Bash (1993)
Batsugun (1993)
Otenki Paradise / Snow Bros. 2: With New Elves (1994)

Thanks, @okunari.
Source

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
All in one collection right?

Gotta be honest, Wardner is my favorite even though Toaplan is best known for their shmups

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Wardner is a pretty underrated gem. But I only know the Mega Drive Version. More hyped for the shmups though.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Damn not in a million years I would have guessed that Toaplan had a titty mahjong game in its catalog.

Here's hoping a physical PS4 release of everything in one collection, or at least one that doesn't require hiring someone to refresh the LRG page every 30 seconds 24/7.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I see these releases trickling out like the ACA Neo Geo releases did and not one big collection, hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I was very excited to see this news. I'm here no matter what physical or digital. I'd love to see a physical release but beggars can't be choosers on something like this.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm happy to see their obscure titles like Rally Bike made the list, not just a few of their best shooters.

Lou

TonK's fake account
I hope they all get physical ports for the PS4!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I can't wait for bulbousbeard to come in here and diatribe about how shitty the Toaplan programmers were and how there's too much slowdown, piss poor hit detection, and whatever else he feels he can do better with a PC 144hz refresh rate running the games at 300 fps.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Finally, Out Zone on a home console! (well, unless the Android port counts)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
M2's Gain Ground port on the Switch was even tate enabled. Fingers crossed some of these ports will be, as well.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looking forward to Batsugun and if they release them one by one in order I'll be in my 80's when it comes out. Yay

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Looking forward to Batsugun and if they release them one by one in order I'll be in my 80's when it comes out. Yay

I don’t believe they’ll be able to pull off doing them one by one. A lot of those titles are not big hitters, this needs to be a compilation. Or a couple compilations like Psikyo.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I don't know what to think of this. At first playing 240p games on an HDTV somehow feels wrong. But maybe that's just me. What bothers me more is that if you're interested in those kind of games you have already played them back in the day or have the PCB at home (and maybe some home console ports like Batsugun). Is there really a market for all this that justifies a re-release? Does it make the games any better to emulate them on a PS4 rather than in MAME? (And on a side note, who wants to play Jongou and Mahjong Sisters nowadays?)

Just thoughts. I know many folks are happy about anything retail (and those games are great no question!) but I don't see the added value. Even with online leaderboards etc. that's something we already have here and on other shmup related sites.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
To be fair M2 do put their heart and soul into translating these old games to high definition displays, painstakingly obsessed with accuracy.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
I hope M2 can get unreleased games like DT7 and Distopia. I remember hearing that both games are in collectors' hands, so there's hope.

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
V-V...yes, that’s great news.

I’ve played the TRUXTON iPhone port, not bad at all. Not M2 mind you but it plays decent enough, makes for a very casual experience, for a shmup chump like myself it’s a godsend.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member

gematsu said:
Toaplan shoot ’em up collection Hishou Same! Same! Same! will launch for PlayStation 4 and Switch on April 28, 2022 in Japan, developer M2 announced.

The game will be available in the following editions:

Physical Edition (7,480 yen)
Includes the downloadable content, plus a download code for Sennou Game Teki Paki.

Digital Edition (3,960 yen)
Includes the arcade versions of Hishou Zame! and Same! Same! Same!, plus Sennou Game Teki Paki.

Downloadable Content (1,980 yen)
Includes the console ports of each title, plus Wardner.

Here is the full lineup of titles:

Hishou Zame! Variations
Hishou Zame! (arcade version)
Sky Shark (arcade version)
Flying Shark (arcade version)
Sky Shark (Nintendo Entertainment System version)
Same! Same! Same! Variations
Same! Same! Same! (arcade version)
Same! Same! Same! 2P Version (arcade version)
Fire Shark (arcade version)
Same! Same! Same! (Mega Drive version)
Fire Shark (Genesis version)
Wardner
Wardner (overseas version)
Pyros (North American version)
Wardner no Mori (Famicom Disk System version)

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
I don't know what to think of this. At first playing 240p games on an HDTV somehow feels wrong. But maybe that's just me. What bothers me more is that if you're interested in those kind of games you have already played them back in the day or have the PCB at home (and maybe some home console ports like Batsugun). Is there really a market for all this that justifies a re-release? Does it make the games any better to emulate them on a PS4 rather than in MAME? (And on a side note, who wants to play Jongou and Mahjong Sisters nowadays?)

Just thoughts. I know many folks are happy about anything retail (and those games are great no question!) but I don't see the added value. Even with online leaderboards etc. that's something we already have here and on other shmup related sites.

M2 is like getting the Criterion release. They are generally reference quality with a host of features and information you can't get anywhere else. I happily throw cash at that every time they release something.