Macbook 11E53 2010 model or New iPad - iPad2

jeff10

Kula's Candy
Was going to meet a guy in morning to buy a 2010 macbook 13.5 model 11E53 it has 2.13ghz intel core 2 duo - 2gb 800mhz ddr2 sdram - grpahics Nividia Geforce 9400M 256 MB software Mac OS X lion 10.7.4 was going to pay 400.00 for this....
Im on the fence between that and a iPad 2 or (maybe) ipad 3? Can someone please help me decide. Idk what the heck to do..
Ipad 2 maybe 3 if can get a lil more cash
or
Macbook 13.5 2010 model

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
get the macbook. that simple. i had one of those models. it was good.

unless you already have a good lappy. then consider the ipad. if you dont have anything portable, the ipad will only frustrate you.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

the classic white standard core2 duo macbook is a little pokey by todays standards. not nearly as slick as an ipad.

that being said- you will get much more use out of the lappy then. plus being intel you can run bootcamp and dual boot into windows (if thats your thing). also you can upgrade that machine a bit (ram, hdd) to make it even more capable.

my wife has one, it runs steam for mac just fine. its a great litte box that is very reliable. get the lappy. hope that helps.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
ps:

i am an everyday mac user for many years now (since the early 90's)- if you need a hand, just pm me.

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I agree, go with the MacBook if you currently lack a laptop.

jeff10

Kula's Candy
So thats a fair price to pay for the mac.

Last edited:

jeff10

Kula's Candy
oh yeah he text me said it has osx panther. I assume I can put the newst osx on it from mac store itunes i think where i saw the download

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
oh yeah he text me said it has osx panther. I assume I can put the newst osx on it from mac store itunes i think where i saw the download

put snow leopard on it (should be less than $25 on ebay). that is the best os of the intel core2 duo lappys. lion and mountian lion will freak that computer right the fuck out (Assuming its compatible with the newest one). snow leopard clears out the clutter and make your computer run much smoother and more efficient in the background. it really is the pinnacle of OSX. i wish i could downgrade my 2011 mbp to it.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
who'd want a macbook over an ipad anyway?

if you actually need an osx based system for some decent(heavy) usage, then you'd get a macbook pro.

otherwise, just about everything else you can do just fine with the ipad(+ there's the keyboard attachment)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
who'd want a macbook over an ipad anyway?

if you actually need an osx based system for some decent(heavy) usage, then you'd get a macbook pro.

otherwise, just about everything else you can do just fine with the ipad(+ there's the keyboard attachment)

Really zar? He has no laptop. The mb makes more sense.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Really zar? He has no laptop. The mb makes more sense.

Yeah, but it's an Intel Core 2 Duo. That's a sluggish CPU nowadays. If you need the laptop, cool, but if you're just wanting a Mac a newer lower-end Mac Mini might fit the bill better. Sure, it has a higher cost if you need to buy a new monitor and etc, but it will also let you run a lot newer things, including Mountain Lion and cost you around $500-600. Hell of a lot faster too. You could even find a used or old-stock 2011 model that has the 2.3GHz i5 for a bit less and still have a killer Mac setup. Depends on what you want, I guess. That Mac Book is nice, but you're going to be feeling its age very quickly.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
+1 for the iPad. It's much more portable than a laptop. I take it everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It's light, the battery life is really good, and there are only a few iPad models out, meaning you'll get much more software/app optimization. The rare occasions that I need to type a whole lot with it (such as taking notes in class), I have a dock that it slides into with a keyboard that connects via bluetooth. If I need to sit down and utilize a bunch of stuff like usb ports, dvd drives, and whatever else, I just sit down at my desktop.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah, but it's an Intel Core 2 Duo. That's a sluggish CPU nowadays. If you need the laptop, cool, but if you're just wanting a Mac a newer lower-end Mac Mini might fit the bill better. Sure, it has a higher cost if you need to buy a new monitor and etc, but it will also let you run a lot newer things, including Mountain Lion and cost you around $500-600. Hell of a lot faster too. You could even find a used or old-stock 2011 model that has the 2.3GHz i5 for a bit less and still have a killer Mac setup. Depends on what you want, I guess. That Mac Book is nice, but you're going to be feeling its age very quickly.

i honestly have one of those exact computers in action (my wifes everyday computer). it is great for basic stuff. its not really all that slow unless you are doing big gaming or super intensive stuff.

that being said, i love my ipad. but it is my second portable. when i need quick stuff (or apps) i go there. when i need an actual computer i use one.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The big question is what are you going to be using the MacBook / iPad for? If you're just emailing and surfing, get the iPad. If you're doing work in MS Office, doing any sort of media work, or managing / downloading lots of stuff, get the MacBook. A Core 2 Duo is fine for most stuff. My first gen MacBook still runs Logic, Ableton Live, and vector drawing apps just fine. I do need to use my 2011 iMac for Final Cut, Premier, Photoshop, After Effects, and Resolve, though.