Mahjong squad assemble

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Any of you nerds play (specifically Japanese in my case) mahjong? Besides being a great way to unlock some 8/16 bit titty like an overworked salaryman, it's a pretty enjoyable game that combines a lot of elements from games like poker and gin/rummy.

The bad: there's not a lot of great resources out there in English, and a lot of them focus on arcane bullshit like how to build and break the tile wall. Which is completely fucking irrelevant cause unless you're a turboweeb you're playing online 99% of the time anyways.

You'll need to learn to recognize at least some Chinese/Japanese characters (around 10) but it gets easier with time. Since any game auto-organizes your hand for you you'll learn it quicker than you think by what tiles go next to each other.

A pretty great guide is here: http://riichi.dynaman.net/

To play against the computer to learn the basics: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Arcade/console games are actually a pretty great place to get used to the basics as well, since they're usually 2 player and require less focus on other more involved aspects of the game.

:multi_co::multi_co::multi_co:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Oh heck yea, count me in! Love me some mahjong :buttrock:

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I know how to play Canton style mahjong since 4 yrs old. I have been playing Japanese style mahjong video games at home and at arcade since the Nintendo era. Honestly, you would have a lot more fun if you play the real thing against 3 other persons at home.

Yes the game involves tactics and skills.

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
o.0 ebin... there are like a crap ton of board game meetups/clubs in the Boston/MA area that can teach how to play mahjong with the actual physical game pieces. If you want I can inquire, and give you a contact.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
This is so funny, I was thinking about starting a thread about Mahjong, Tw3ek can vouch that I just PMed him discussing Mahjong just yesterday! :)

Quest of Jongmaster is one of the best Neo titles ever.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
This is so funny, I was thinking about starting a thread about Mahjong, Tw3ek can vouch that I just PMed him discussing Mahjong just yesterday! :)

Quest of Jongmaster is one of the best Neo titles ever.

Can confirm. Pretty psyched to find other people around here who like to play as well!

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I've been wanting to learn how to play some proper Mahjong for awhile now.. but mainly I just get lucky sometimes on Quest of Jongmaster. lol
Also love playing Mahjong Kyouretsuden, but it's waaay harder when you don't know wtf yr doing (+ has that great Enka music)

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I have a couple of sets I found at Charity shops and my partner and I have played a few times. We're both beginners though and the instructions they came with are pretty hard to understand. We worked out the basics, but I'd like to learn more.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I have a couple of sets I found at Charity shops and my partner and I have played a few times. We're both beginners though and the instructions they came with are pretty hard to understand. We worked out the basics, but I'd like to learn more.

Your partner? I didn't know you were lgbt, rock on. :)