Mai Shiranui connection to The Knack

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mai Shiranui connection to The Knack (SNK homages thread)

Friend of mine just asked if Mai Shiranui's name was a pun on The Knack's My Sharona. Considering other weird names (Kaffine Nicotine), I wouldn't doubt this.

Just thought it was interesting, haven't seen it mentioned before.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That sounds along the lines of the chinese rapper named Tai Mai Shu.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Friend of mine just asked if Mai Shiranui's name was a pun on The Knack's My Sharona. Considering other weird names (Kaffine Nicotine), I wouldn't doubt this.

That is interesting. I heard the name "John Smith" was actually a clever pun on the Japanese word "Jdlkghf;glkglkfdgl;sdm".

Without hearing directly from your friend, it's impossible to judge which of you two is the stupider. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, and think he was fucking with you. Another explanation would be if he was 8, but then it becomes difficult to explain why he knows "My Sharona."

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Kid, you know I love you after that one crazy night. But stop with the bullshit and tell me directly why you've got to be such an ass.

I'm not saying it's true, I just thought it was interesting. Mai Shiranui, My Sharona; they're not pronounced the same, but it could be possible that it is a pun.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
:mr_t: Mai Shiranui, My Sharona; they're not pronounced the same, but it could be possible that it is a pun.

My Sharona. Hahaha. Good times Lonesage, good times.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Kid, you know I love you after that one crazy night. But stop with the bullshit and tell me directly why you've got to be such an ass.
I...I don't know. Your timely intervention has inspired me to take a long hard look at my life, and do some serious soul-searching. Certainly, being sarcastic towards someone...er, in your condition... is not behavior I should be proud of.

LoneSage said:
I'm not saying it's true, I just thought it was interesting. Mai Shiranui, My Sharona; they're not pronounced the same, but it could be possible that it is a pun.
I just can't think of anything non-sarcastic to say here. I'll be back.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ooh my little pretty one, pretty one.
When you gonna give me some time, Sharona?
Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run.
Gun it comin' off of the line Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. I always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind. My my my i yi woo. M M M My Sharona...

Come a little closer huh, ah will ya huh.
Close enough to look in my eyes, Sharona.
Keeping it in a mystery, it gets to me
Running down the length of my thighs, Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up. Such a dirty mind.
I always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind. My my my i yi woo. M M M My Sharona...M M M My Sharona...

When you gonna get to me, get to me.
Is it just a matter of time, Sharona
Is it just destiny, destiny?
Or is it just a game in my mind, Sharona?
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. I always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind. My my my i yi woo. M M M My my my i yi woo...M M M My Sharona...M M M My Sharona...M M M My Sharona...M M M My Sharona...

(guitar solo)

ooooohh...aaaaahh, My Sharona...ooooohh...aaaaahh, My Sharona...ooooohh...aaaaahh, My Sharona!!

---------------
c c can't stop the beat, g g gonna move my feet. Seriously, you can't fuck with that. Brings back old times, eh Kid!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Well, acutally the idea is not that stupid imho.

All KOF names, from character to moves, are inspired by ANYTHING in the show biz, be it eastern or western. From 'Clark Steel' (stupid Superman pun) to Blue Mary (stupid DragonBall pun in name and apparence), to Angel (that lame wrestler mixed up with Haruko in FLCL) or even Benimaru Nikaido (Polnareff + GunBuster's Smith Toren, plus HUrrican Polymer) god only know is the mare name of Mai Shiranui has something to do even with My Sharona, which was actually a big hit in Japan (see Golden Boy OVA #1).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
ma ma my scrotum

fun fact: QT originally wanted to use My Sharona for Pulp Fiction but couldn't due to Ben Stiller liscensing the rights for Reality Bites first

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
This idea is very stupid, just to be clear.

Thank you all and good night.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
LoneSage said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. SNK tried to make subtle "hip" references to pop culture and American music in a bunch of its games (e.g. Galford makes a reference to The Vapors in SS4). It's entirely possible.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Japanese people are wierd. Good thing they make awesome games (most of the time) otherwise I would have given up on them already.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Shito said:

All KOF names, from character to moves, are inspired by ANYTHING in the show biz, be it eastern or western. From 'Clark Steel' (stupid Superman pun) to Blue Mary (stupid DragonBall pun in name and apparence), to Angel (that lame wrestler mixed up with Haruko in FLCL) or even Benimaru Nikaido (Polnareff + GunBuster's Smith Toren, plus HUrrican Polymer) god only know is the mare name of Mai Shiranui has something to do even with My Sharona, which was actually a big hit in Japan (see Golden Boy OVA #1).

Don't forget the biggest turkey of them all k9999 a blatant tetsuo rip off.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Shito said:

Benimaru is a ripoff of Smith? Are you sure? Guile would seem more likely.

neo>all

Super nO0b
I found alot of similarities between ninja scrolls the anime and samurai showdown. The most obvious is probably the main characters name jubei. Then there's that old man who looks exactly like nicotine, stick, hat and all. Gemma sort of reminded me of seiger and that temple stage with the snake lady reminded me of nicotines temple stage. The guy jubei fights who can hide in the shadows reminded me of that guy in samurai showdown with the chain blade who can also teleport through what appears to be shadows. His stage also looks the sam as where jubei fought him to rescue that poison girl. There's probably more so i'll go watch ninja scrolls again after i play a round of samurai showdown.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
neo>all said:
I found alot of similarities between ninja scrolls the anime and samurai showdown. The most obvious is probably the main characters name jubei. Then there's that old man who looks exactly like nicotine, stick, hat and all. Gemma sort of reminded me of seiger and that temple stage with the snake lady reminded me of nicotines temple stage. The guy jubei fights who can hide in the shadows reminded me of that guy in samurai showdown with the chain blade who can also teleport through what appears to be shadows. His stage also looks the sam as where jubei fought him to rescue that poison girl. There's probably more so i'll go watch ninja scrolls again after i play a round of samurai showdown.
Wasn't the character designer the same, or some guy like that?

neo>all

Super nO0b
DanAdamKOF said:
Wasn't the character designer the same, or some guy like that?

Im not sure but it wouldn't surprise me
2.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Jubei Yagyu is a historical figure, but yeah, even with that in mind I can see some similarities I suppose. Nicotine and that old man are definitely off of each other.

Yes, there were SNK guys working on Ninja Scroll, I think.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Since this thread has become a consolidation on SNK allusions to the media...

I played KOF 96 for the first time in months yesterday and noticed that Mature has a winning pose that makes her look a lot like Marilyn Monroe.

I also was going to post something else, but I forgot it..bah. Maybe later.

neo>all

Super nO0b
Since this seems to be turning in to snk pop culture references i might as well mention the alien in gen an's SSII stage.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
...Mai Shiranui.....My Sharona.....i dunno...doesnt sound likely...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They aren't pronounced exactly the same (My Shi-rah-new-E; My Sha-row-nuh) but I think it's something SNK did something on purpose; to form two somewhat common Japanese names to parody the song's title. They just look kinda similar..

think what you want, though. I'll stick with mine.