Makin video games

Sol_Badguy01

Mr. Big's Thug
So,people have their own ideas and thoughts towards video games. So do I, and I soon plan to become my own gaming company/industry,(I'm in college for the shit now)so I'm not asking you all to tell me your ideas and such,just asking if anyone's intrested in becoming a game developer/designer in the somewhat distant,but nearby future.

Last edited:

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
For me its purely a hobby, but I think the more SNK/Capcom fans into developing games the better.

Suragu

Quiz Detective
So you think your going to fall right out of college and make your own successful game company, huh? Think again!

A "mid" budget game for teh PS2 right now costs around $10,000,000 including marketing and initial distribution. Industry Pros expect that it will be 2x-3x that much for the PS3! I see very experienced, intelligent, and talented people fail repeatedly in their attempts to gain funding for such things.

I've seen the results of supposed "Video game colleges" and the workers they produce are usually pretty shocked when reality SMACKS them right in the face.

My advice to you is to get a job at a real, already successful game company and learn the ropes. PAY YOUR DUES! it's the only way you'll ever really get the big picture and it will help people respect you, which is more important than I can express. You may think I'm a jerk for saying these things, but I'm really just trying to save you some heart ache.

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
Suragu said:
So you think your going to fall right out of college and make your own successful game company, huh? Think again!

A "mid" budget game for teh PS2 right now costs around $10,000,000 including marketing and initial distribution. Industry Pros expect that it will be 2x-3x that much for the PS3! I see very experienced, intelligent, and talented people fail repeatedly in their attempts to gain funding for such things.

I've seen the results of supposed "Video game colleges" and the workers they produce are usually pretty shocked when reality SMACKS them right in the face.

My advice to you is to get a job at a real, already successful game company and learn the ropes. PAY YOUR DUES! it's the only way you'll ever really get the big picture and it will help people respect you, which is more important than I can express. You may think I'm a jerk for saying these things, but I'm really just trying to save you some heart ache.

Very wise words, I think for me thats a big reason why I dont take my hobby further plus im still very much a learner. Video Game Companies are always needing that person who is going to move thing forward in the right direction look at how konami worked in the late 97s for example, the metal gear project was a success due to a person like that who had been with the company for a long time.

I think you should aim to make quality games not companies

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I don't agree with ALL the doom and gloom said here, some of it I do but not all. First off...YES, impossible to make a console game without lots of money or luck [Alien Hominid is an example...a RARE example]. But, just as the shareware independent dev. scene is booming in Japan, its set to be revived here in the states. I think with tools like Shockwave and Flash its a lot easier to get your work seen by people over the internet. But, just to encourage you I think its possible....and I think there is a niche market for "hard core" or "old school", whatever you want to call it games on PC, following the early 90's shareware model. It won't make money, but it might get you noticed...and you may make enough to buy some licorice and pennywhistles. Sidenote, I would be interested in working on a project if everyone involved were talented and had a good idea. [I too went to school for "games", and have worked in the business briefly, as the hours were AWFUL...and now I am in advertising...sigh]

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
Id just like to see snk fan games scene happening, I mean thinking about it there are so many great sprite editors, and actual Artists who love posting here etc...
If they could work together to make some kind of game the better.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Richard & Judy said:
Id just like to see snk fan games scene happening, I mean thinking about it there are so many great sprite editors, and actual Artists who love posting here etc...
If they could work together to make some kind of game the better.

TOTALLY disagree. I hate fan projects based on existing subject material. You end up with Mugen or something. I mean, Beats Of Rage is interesting...but not to be taken seriously. I think it would be nice to see an indie made schmup personally. Bottom line, HAS TO BE ORIGINAL.

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
pixeljunkie said:
TOTALLY disagree. I hate fan projects based on existing subject material. You end up with Mugen or something. I mean, Beats Of Rage is interesting...but not to be taken seriously. I think it would be nice to see an indie made schmup personally. Bottom line, HAS TO BE ORIGINAL.

no no, maybe i didnt phrase my sentence right
I think Mugen or Beats of Rage are using rips of games to make a game
I just think that some SNK fan games (games made by SNK fans) might be interesting, the only reason so many people dont take fan games seriously is because alot of time they cut corners, a friend of mine has made about 20 games and all of them are pretty much lazy attempts to make an SNK style game.

With my project it isnt as serious as some, so yeah im guilty of using pocket sprites, but there is a big difference, for one i own the game im ripping which makes me sleep okay at night, and two if I were to get serious on a game even if I were using edits (which id prefer to stay away from) Id make a game using ideas that i've learned through playing great SNK games and more to do with the actual game system.

Seems alot of people are prone to judge on graphics, but for me im a 1984 born 8-bit lover so graphics are not such a big deal.

I dont know I think there just needs to be more support for people learning and making home made games, its a real cool hobby and you always learn new things of the trade

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Richard & Judy said:
no no, maybe i didnt phrase my sentence right
I think Mugen or Beats of Rage are using rips of games to make a game
I just think that some SNK fan games (games made by SNK fans) might be interesting, the only reason so many people dont take fan games seriously is because alot of time they cut corners, a friend of mine has made about 20 games and all of them are pretty much lazy attempts to make an SNK style game.

With my project it isnt as serious as some, so yeah im guilty of using pocket sprites, but there is a big difference, for one i own the game im ripping which makes me sleep okay at night, and two if I were to get serious on a game even if I were using edits (which id prefer to stay away from) Id make a game using ideas that i've learned through playing great SNK games and more to do with the actual game system.

Seems alot of people are prone to judge on graphics, but for me im a 1984 born 8-bit lover so graphics are not such a big deal.

I dont know I think there just needs to be more support for people learning and making home made games, its a real cool hobby and you always learn new things of the trade

Doesn't matter if you own the game, you can't legally use their IP's in your game. You cancel out any creativity you may have put into the project as soon as you use someone else's work, period.

I agree about graphics not mattering, and there are people helping budding devlopers.

check this out:
http://www.xgamestation.com

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
pixeljunkie said:
Doesn't matter if you own the game, you can't legally use their IP's in your game. You cancel out any creativity you may have put into the project as soon as you use someone else's work, period.

I agree about graphics not mattering, and there are people helping budding devlopers.

check this out:
http://www.xgamestation.com

Hey it keeps me asleep at night, its a scary buissness scabbing of a company that really need your support as a fan, thats why It matter to me, legal or not i dont give a damn about that really, its a matter of respect, my only suggestion to game makers if your going to rip of a game at least dont do it half asked put the effort in.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Richard & Judy said:
Hey it keeps me asleep at night, its a scary buissness scabbing of a company that really need your support as a fan, thats why It matter to me, legal or not i dont give a damn about that really, its a matter of respect, my only suggestion to game makers if your going to rip of a game at least dont do it half asked put the effort in.

Bah!! So many misspellings! If you want your work to be respected by people other than a core [small] fan base, it has to be original work. It can be ambiguously similar, but it has to be "original". All games based on sprite rips will usually be half asked.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Im going to the art institute for game art and stuff.

Not that I have any delusions about the industry. I know for a fact that I will probably start as a game tester and work my way up for a few years.

Hard stuff.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Im going to the art institute for game art and stuff.

Not that I have any delusions about the industry. I know for a fact that I will probably start as a game tester and work my way up for a few years.

Hard stuff.

Not necessarily at all. What part are you looking to get into? Texture artist, modeling, animation???

I went for modeling, for people who aren't very good at drawing animation is usually a good choice. testing SUCKS.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
Not necessarily at all. What part are you looking to get into? Texture artist, modeling, animation???

I went for modeling, for people who aren't very good at drawing animation is usually a good choice. testing SUCKS.

Not really sure yet. I hadnt really planned on one area in particular. Ive only been in school for a term and a half though so its mostly just general education and normal art classes so far.

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
pixeljunkie said:
Bah!! So many misspellings! If you want your work to be respected by people other than a core [small] fan base, it has to be original work. It can be ambiguously similar, but it has to be "original". All games based on sprite rips will usually be half asked.

okay so being dyslexic (spellings probably wrong there, whatever..)
If your logic couldnt understand my messed up English then you should at least try and read it and work out what the hell this person is trying to say.

I agree with alot of what your saying pixel but Im totally entitled to my view, unlike alot of people I make games for myself, its not about respect or not.

Sorry im not starting shit with you, its just I think its very snobbish to question my English when I actually have a disability, It takes me a long time to actually post stuff so I just dont see the point at being stuck up like a bitch, it really isnt the full picture.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Richard & Judy said:
okay so being dyslexic (spellings probably wrong there, whatever..)
If your logic couldnt understand my messed up English then you should at least try and read it and work out what the hell this person is trying to say.

I agree with alot of what your saying pixel but Im totally entitled to my view, unlike alot of people I make games for myself, its not about respect or not.

Sorry im not starting shit with you, its just I think its very snobbish to question my English when I actually have a disability, It takes me a long time to actually post stuff so I just dont see the point at being stuck up like a bitch, it really isnt the full picture.

You can't use a medium such as a forum, where the ONLY means of communication is your written word, and bitch about people noticing your inability to type. If that bothers you, use only a phone or something. I never told you you weren't allowed to have your own opinion. I merely told you your opinion was wrong. If you make games only for yourself, then why participate in a conversation about making games for others? Everything I am saying is constructive. Grow up.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Not really sure yet. I hadnt really planned on one area in particular. Ive only been in school for a term and a half though so its mostly just general education and normal art classes so far.

They'll probably help you find an area you're strongest at, I know they did for people I went to school with. My 3D is rusty though, haven't done it in a few years.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Well next term Im going to take a 3DS Max class to see how I like that.

Sculpting so far has been pretty fun, so so long as I learn the ins and outs of the programs I should be good with modeling.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
Well next term Im going to take a 3DS Max class to see how I like that.

Sculpting so far has been pretty fun, so so long as I learn the ins and outs of the programs I should be good with modeling.

viva modeling! :buttrock:

I am surprised though that Max is still their [Art Institutes] software of choice...seems to be a sinking ship as far as the industry is concerned i think. Seems Maya is the standard. But, if you learn Max you can learn Maya fairly quickly [especially for modeling]. They all work kind of the same. Except Lightwave...which can suck my sack.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
viva modeling! :buttrock:

I am surprised though that Max is still their [Art Institutes] software of choice...seems to be a sinking ship as far as the industry is concerned i think. Seems Maya is the standard. But, if you learn Max you can learn Maya fairly quickly [especially for modeling]. They all work kind of the same. Except Lightwave...which can suck my sack.

They are probably getting Maya soon. If not Ill get it myself.

Just got me a new computer built for this stuff too.

Richard & Judy

NEST Puppet
pixeljunkie said:
You can't use a medium such as a forum, where the ONLY means of communication is your written word, and bitch about people noticing your inability to type. If that bothers you, use only a phone or something. I never told you you weren't allowed to have your own opinion. I merely told you your opinion was wrong. If you make games only for yourself, then why participate in a conversation about making games for others? Everything I am saying is constructive. Grow up.

Well firstly I use this forum to recieve self satisfaction, just because im not skilled in English I still can read, and I deserve to be able to use any forum I desire, so fuck off with the phone comment you mis informed know it all :shame:

define right and wrong

Im not saying your wrong, I just disagree with some of your points, alot of things you have said are very valid and Im not disagreeing with you because I dont like your attitude, I just dont agree.
Im not wrong because that my friend is a matter of perception
anyway whatever I think your right I need to grow up, so one day I dont turn into what you seem to think is mature, hell I got a lot of a way to go

Anyway man this is the last im saying on this, I just felt the need to defend myself because you pissed me off. In the long run its not really relevant what you think

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Nesagwa said:
They are probably getting Maya soon. If not Ill get it myself.

Just got me a new computer built for this stuff too.

Maya kicks ass. I still love Max though, as its what I learned. I still watch some "behind the scenes" game videos and stuff and notice they use Max and let out a hearty cheer.