Making a Conversion MVS cart. Yes I know bad but please read.

aluisi

Geese's Thug
Any way i figured out the only way I will be able to get Ghostlop is to make it myself. So have a a extra mvs cart sitting around my house collecting dust (the game is SS). So what I need is some help from you all.

I need the Fallowing:

Where do i get the correct Eproms from
Where do I get the source code for Ghostlop
And a lay out of how to convert as in what chips to replace on each board etc.

I defiantly don't like conversion carts just like all of you. But SS is such a common game and I have a extra one I don't see the problem in sacrificing that cart for Ghostlop. I heard that game is awesome.

And yes I have a chip burner. Ohhh also can any one point me to a resource of where to get a Bios Eprom. I want to make a unibios but I don't know where to get the correct eprom chip for the bios.

Last edited:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
I know the bios chips are 27C1024's, i *think* ghostlop uses 27C4096's, however if you install it on to a SS2 cart, you need to split the files in 1/2 to fit on 27C2048's. If you split the files, and use a SS2 cart, I think its a direct swap of eproms without reconfiguring the jumpers.

Dont' quote me on this however, thats just what i gathered using the search feature a few weeks ago.

-BigBill

aluisi

Geese's Thug
billd420 said:
I know the bios chips are 27C1024's, i *think* ghostlop uses 27C4096's, however if you install it on to a SS2 cart, you need to split the files in 1/2 to fit on 27C2048's. If you split the files, and use a SS2 cart, I think its a direct swap of eproms without reconfiguring the jumpers.

Dont' quote me on this however, thats just what i gathered using the search feature a few weeks ago.

-BigBill

Well digging deep into the boards i found a lot of good info. But I am not a very tech savvy person when it comes to chips and eproms. I need a link to where to get the chips and what specific names I search for. I also want to get a chip so I can burn myself a UniBios for my 4 slot.

I understand making a boot is bad. I have no intention of selling this cart ever. I want to make it for myself. If i cant get the info then at lest is there some one on the boards who can make a ghostlop for me?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I searched the boards for this info too once upon a time. The cart you want to use is Samurai 2. Don't feel bad about making it, because the game was never officially released. Just be sure to buy plenty of official games to make up for it.

aluisi

Geese's Thug
Neo Alec said:
I searched the boards for this info too once upon a time. The cart you want to use is Samurai 2. Don't feel bad about making it, because the game was never officially released. Just be sure to buy plenty of official games to make up for it.

LOL i have about 52 MVS games in my collection and its still growing. I just wish i knew excatly what chips to get to brun the rom on to.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
It all depends on what you have access to, but generally:

P1 = 27C800 (or 27C160 with image doubled because 27C160 is easier to find)

You can also split the P1 rom and use EP1 and EP2 on your board then use 2x 27C4096 (or 27C4002) and split the program data.

V1 = 27C160
M1 = 27C1001 or 27C010
S1 = 27C1000 (not Macronix 27C1000 - it's the same as a 1001 or 010)

If you can find a 32 pin 27C1000, then you don't need to do anything special with the S1. However, if you can't find one, you can use a 27C1001 (or 010), but you'll need to lift a couple pins and add a couple wires. So, find that 27C1000 for a clean job if you can.

Char roms (depends on what you can find):

C1 = 27C322
C2 = 27C322

or

C1 = 27C160
C3 = 27C160
C2 = 27C160
C4 = 27C160

Last edited:
Hi everybody

Dug out this old thread because i would like to make a Zintrick Cart for my own collection.

Anybody has done this before and could guide me?
I already made me a ghostlop cart out of a WH2J cart before.
I guess i could take also such a cart for the Zintrick conversion, right?

I hope i dont break some rules here. :emb:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Those CD to cart conversions are incomplete games without the music. You're just going to make yourself wish all the more that you had a copy of the official prototypes that are out there. You're better off playing Zintrick and Ironclad on the CD. The cart conversions are a waste of a cart.

Thanks for your advice Neo_Alec, but i only own a MVS system. :emb:
So i would like to make my collection of puzzle game bigger.

Anybody else?

Thanks man, any idea of wich eproms i should use?
As the zintrick game uses smaller rom sizes than ghoslop on some roms.

Shogeki

n00b
27c160 for 16m roms, 27c800 for 8m roms
27c010 for the m1, and 27c301 for the s1, you can use a 27c010 and swap pin 2 and 24.

Great...appreciate it, thanks.

My s1 rom file is only 512k, no problem to burn it to a 1M eprom like 27c301?

Another thing, is this right:
M1 = music
S1 = sound
P1 = program
C1 = characters
C2 = characters
V1 = video

???

Shogeki

n00b
there is a romset with a 1M s1 rom, or you can just double the program to make it fit onto a 1M rom.

M = sound driver
S = characters
P = program
C = sprites
V = sound effects

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thanks for your advice Neo_Alec, but i only own a MVS system. :emb:
So i would like to make my collection of puzzle game bigger.

Anybody else?
For less money you can get a Neo CD.

Do not destroy working games for these hacked versions.

Thanks for all your help boyz...got it :D

@neo_alec - ripped a WH2J cart....so no big loss at all :)

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's a total waste. That Zintrick doesn't even have music. It's going to play like an obvious hack. It will be inferior to the CD version in every way. I'm against dismantling an official game for any reason.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
calm down alec. He can just crank some tetris music in the background to set the mood. Plus, i think these hacks still have sound effects, right?

Also, the sheer novelty is something in of itself.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Thanks for all your help boyz...got it :D

@neo_alec - ripped a WH2J cart....so no big loss at all :)

What a waste of a decent cart......enjoy, and when you get sick of it don't fucking try to sell it here. :shame:

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
What a waste of a decent cart......enjoy, and when you get sick of it don't fucking try to sell it here. :shame:

He can always save the original ROMs from WH2J, or burn another compatible game onto the cart if he gets bored of Zintrick.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It's a total waste. That Zintrick doesn't even have music. It's going to play like an obvious hack. It will be inferior to the CD version in every way. I'm against dismantling an official game for any reason.
I assume you are totally fine with destroying an official system though, everyone else on here seems to be.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
He can always save the original ROMs from WH2J, or burn another compatible game onto the cart if he gets bored of Zintrick.
It's not the same if you resolder the roms back in. My Irritating Maze cart appears to have been used to dump the rom. The roms are all resoldered in, but it can still be a bitch to get the game to boot without glitchy graphics.

I assume you are totally fine with destroying an official system though, everyone else on here seems to be.
I'm not fine with it. I dislike seeing the casing of other consoles used as supergun housings, etc. In the case of the occasional minimal consolized MVS design though, I think the trade-off of the practicality/functionality can make it worthwhile in the end. It's a slight net gain. And these AES mods we've been seeing could be less brutal. The lights are unnecessary, and all the video connections can be output through the original DIN connector.