May 2015 SOTM: Fire Shark/Same!Same!Same!

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I was trying to play without autofire but I think I'm gonna just give in, at least until I can put a Cthulhu in my actual stick. Using the 6 button Sega stick now and Sanwas they are not.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Tried out the 2p arcade. Wow, it feels like a totally different game. No screen wobble when moving left/right, slow bullets, different boss patterns, powerups everywhere, and instant respawn instead of checkpoints. If someone feels the 1p version is too overwhelming, the 2p version may be more enjoyable.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Also, what's the difference between the 2 versions, other than the pilot's facial hair?

View attachment 25276

shop the American plane onto the Jpn cover and we have a winner!
Btw, been looking for my cart for a week now...

I found it tonight, in its loose cart, rental stickers on the back, 1.99 price tag glory copy Ive have since forever. though I should have my original complete somewhere..
Tried to play on my nomad, prolly not wont work for a decent score, gonna have to goto console this weekend..

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
All I can tell on the 2 versions is the Genesis starts out easier with lower enemy bullet speed. However, at some point the bullets speed up to JPN speed and it feels identical in terms of enemies, bullet speed and frequency.

wyo - 2647390 - stage 10 - autofire on - genesis

Died on final boss. However, if I got past stage 10 I would just stop because enough's enough.

DSC08463 (Small).JPG

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I found it tonight, in its loose cart, rental stickers on the back, 1.99 price tag glory copy Ive have since forever. though I should have my original complete somewhere..

Mine is the same way, crappy label, price sticker right on that sumbitch. To be fair it's not really an attractive label in the first place. I don't even know what compelled me to pick it up, this was way before I even know what Toaplan was.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Things i remembered thinking, when playing this in 1990..

Stage 1
All planes shot down wont just disappear with an explosion for now on, in any shooter, ever.
Stage 2
Hrm, will the music change at all?
Stage 3
So that why I have to fly solo, other pilots cannot take off?!
Also, why does the fire move like that, I'll show them, I'll just keep taping the button..
Stage 4
So... dont stay at the bottom of the screen then..
Stage 5
Too much speed picked up?
Stage 6
Reincarnated as a turtle, realized, never enough speed..

So as far as score, I hate you guys, though I was playing on the nomad, and on the crapper, half way through wife checked to make sure 'all is well', i then paused and retired to the couch, Low batt light came on and I died that final distracted death..

Adam - 725800 - stage 07 - autofire on - genesis/nomad

725800 7 norm .jpg

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Mine is the same way, crappy label, price sticker right on that sumbitch. To be fair it's not really an attractive label in the first place. I don't even know what compelled me to pick it up, this was way before I even know what Toaplan was.

Heh, dat 1.99

fire 199.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
US label looks like a ghetto bootleg, lol! Can't beat $1.99 though :cool:

BTW, both versions are on both carts. Title screen/slight difficulty differences are determined by Genny/MD region setting.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
US label looks like a ghetto bootleg, lol! Can't beat $1.99 though :cool:

BTW, both versions are on both carts. Title screen/slight difficulty differences are determined by Genny/MD region setting.

I always thought that about the label, when I bought it and opened it, I thought it was a early version or a replacement, I think a few other dreamworks games were like this too though, I forget..

Also I haven't tried to play this one in the MD Ill have to try that for sure.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
ebinsugewa - 2496350 - Stage 8 - Autofire Off - Genesis (US)

I really fucked this run up. Missed a bomb that would've saved me with full power, and then got stuck in checkpoint hell at the ship.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Slight update - nothing special.

pulstar - 891,660 - Stage 7 - Auto fire on - Megadrive (Same! Same! Same!)

DSC_0045_zpsrlwjsos0.jpg

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
So if you're using bombs in this game you're fucking up. I'm seeing a lot of really low scores. You should be able to get up to like stage 7 or 8 with maybe 1 bomb used. Your bombs are hugely important as score multipliers. Man up.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So if you're using bombs in this game you're fucking up. I'm seeing a lot of really low scores. You should be able to get up to like stage 7 or 8 with maybe 1 bomb used. Your bombs are hugely important as score multipliers. Man up.

Yes.

Also, fully powered up orange sextopus arms breast stroking helps a lot too.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
wyo - 1410830 - Stage 10 - Autofire On - Megadrive (Same! Same! Same!)

MD run thru so I can be #1! :keke:

DSC08524 (Small).JPG

EDIT: Finally 1CC'd a few days ago :)

DSC08528 (Small).JPG

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Well it looks like the winner of this month's SOTM is Andsuchisdeath, congrats!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well it looks like the winner of this month's SOTM is Andsuchisdeath, congrats!

Thanks. As far as Beelzebub being a game of the month host, the results are the same! same! same!

Timely updates, and competitive participation.

wyo - 1410830 - Stage 10 - Autofire On - Megadrive (Same! Same! Same!)

EDIT: Finally 1CC'd a few days ago :)

View attachment 25772

Congrats on the clear.

Your score should be a "stage 11" score though, right?

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Thanks. As far as Beelzebub being a game of the month host, the results are the same! same! same!

Congrats on the clear.

Your score should be a "stage 11" score though, right?

Thanks man! I shut things down after the clear but technically yes.

Congrats on another great SOTM performance, and thanks to Beelzebub for hosting.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member

Haha, thanks man, I do really enjoy hosting these monthly game threads. :D