Mega Man Megathon - The Quest to Defeat All Robot Masters

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So with my recent plunge back into famicom games, I always wanted to finish every main line Mega Man game. I mean, Mega Man 3 is one of my favorite games of all time - why the hell haven't I played through most of the others?

The goal here is finish all 10 Mega Man games, one a month for the next 10 months. I plan on playing them in order, but nothings gonna stop you from playing in any order. Just like how you play Mega Man! Cool!

Feel free to join in, post your progress here or on Instagram since I have a habit of taking a ton of pics when I play games (#megathon). Let me know what you think!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is neat, maybe I'll do the same. I have all the main MM games, but the problem I have is that I just end up playing 1-3 over and over again, and if I think about playing 4, 5, or 6 I just end up playing 2 or 3. Hell, I have a MM4 in the box that I'm pretty sure I've never played.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
So with my recent plunge back into famicom games, I always wanted to finish every main line Mega Man game. I mean, Mega Man 3 is one of my favorite games of all time - why the hell haven't I played through most of the others?

The goal here is finish all 10 Mega Man games, one a month for the next 10 months. I plan on playing them in order, but nothings gonna stop you from playing in any order. Just like how you play Mega Man! Cool!

Feel free to join in, post your progress here or on Instagram since I have a habit of taking a ton of pics when I play games (#megathon). Let me know what you think!

Time to fire up the everdrive

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
no way jose

EDIT: Only if berrytogard reviews them all.

JK, have fun.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
ASID only plays Megaman 1 so he can max out the score and make use plebes cry.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
ASID only plays Megaman 1 so he can max out the score and make use plebes cry.

yeah ok.

I don't even know how to play mega man 1.

I have the playstation port. I'm a mega poseur. (rock poseur?)

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
i do this about once i year i get the urge to play through them all.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm sure I could play 2 and 3 practically from muscle memory... but the others, my old eyes might not have the reaction time for that platforming anymore.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Did some practice runs today of MM1 on the 3DS and beat all 6 robot masters. A few more days of 3ds practice then it's on to the famicom for the main event.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I'll be joining you on this journey as soon as I have my NES RGB mod done! What's your IG?

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just started the same thing over the weekend, actually. I 1CCd MM1 and 2 and I'll probably get 3 and 4 tonight. The NES games are pretty easy to get through, it's the SNES and Saturn/PSX games that fuck with my timing, due to the larger sprite size.

Are you planning on doing Mega Man and Bass too? Either way, good luck!

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I may take this opportunity to play my Mega Man games, 2-4.

Does finishing MM2 on Normal difficulty count? I've heard that that's actually easy mode, and Difficult is the original Japanese difficulty.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Does finishing MM2 on Normal difficulty count? I've heard that that's actually easy mode, and Difficult is the original Japanese difficulty.

Not quite.

Difficult on the US version is more like a "normal" difficulty, as Rockman 2 is actually tougher than what the US considers difficult. If you've ever played the MM Anniversary Collection, the version of MM2 on there is actually based on Rockman 2 and is noticeably tougher than the US version on difficult. This is coming from someone who can 1CC MM2 on US difficulty. I can't do it on the JP version yet, but I'm working on it. =P

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just started the same thing over the weekend, actually. I 1CCd MM1 and 2 and I'll probably get 3 and 4 tonight. The NES games are pretty easy to get through, it's the SNES and Saturn/PSX games that fuck with my timing, due to the larger sprite size.

Are you planning on doing Mega Man and Bass too? Either way, good luck!

I didn't have it on the list but it might be fun to play through in December when I'm all done with the 10 games. I've never played it!

Anything counts really! People may not have access to the famicom versions, or even original hardware. I have the JPN versions of all games except 7 which I plan on ordering soon. If I only owned the US versions I'd go that route.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Not quite.

Difficult on the US version is more like a "normal" difficulty, as Rockman 2 is actually tougher than what the US considers difficult. If you've ever played the MM Anniversary Collection, the version of MM2 on there is actually based on Rockman 2 and is noticeably tougher than the US version on difficult. This is coming from someone who can 1CC MM2 on US difficulty. I can't do it on the JP version yet, but I'm working on it. =P
That's what I mean, Difficult is really the normal difficulty, and Normal is Easy mode for USA.

I've finished MM2 on Normal, my first and only MM game, and it didn't seem so bad. I learned later that I was playing the babby mode.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I feel like I'm just grandfathered in since I've done this a bunch of times. Plus no one on the forums managed to beat my MM1 score yet.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
PROGRESS

February - Mega Man 1
Since this one has no passwords, I decided to do some practice runs on the 3DS VC version to figure out optimal boss order, patterns, and whatnot. I've managed to finish the game in roughly 2 hours with a small handful of restore points in Wilys Castle.

Mega Man 1 complete! Actually Rock Man 1, maybe I shoulda called this the Rockathon? Decided to jump right in to the Famicom version since last night went pretty well. Wound up finishing it with only a little trouble against the copy robot. Highlight of my playthrough here.

10727542_870926569594961_135355530_n.jpg

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
no way jose

EDIT: Only if berrytogard reviews them all.

JK, have fun.

I have an eye on a famicom with an everdrive, so be careful what you wish for ;)
OP: gl with the series - are you doing the originals only or also MM vs SF and stuff?

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Here is my MM2 boss order. Feel free to use it.

Quick Man, Air Man, Metal Man, Bubble Man, Heat Man, Wood Man, Crash Man, Flash Man

Wily Bosses:
Dragon-Quick Boomerang
Blocks-Metal Blade
GutsDozer-Quick Boomerang
Gun Pods-Crash Bomber (only)
Wily Phase 1-Crash Bomb
Wily Phase 2-Metal Blade
Wily Alien-Bubble lead

Boss Weakness:

Quick man---Flash Stopper, Buster,Air Shooter, Crash Bomber
Air Man---Leaf Shield, Buster
Metal Man----Metal Blade, Buster
Bubble Man--- Metal Blade
Heat Man---Bubble Lead
Wood man----Atomic Fire, Metal Blade
Crash Man---Air Shooter
Flash Man----Metal Blade.

Happy Hunting! Remember in MM2 the answer is always Metal Blade!

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So I was inspired by your thread and took to practicing 1LC-ing on MM1 and 2 this weekend. After several frustrating hours on MM1, I was able to pull off a 1LC win. MM2 (on difficult) was actually easier, thanks to the usage of E-tanks. I may try another no-E-tank run, or maybe a 1LC on Rockman 2 instead, but I need to take a small break from these games before I get back into it...

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So I was inspired by your thread and took to practicing 1LC-ing on MM1 and 2 this weekend. After several frustrating hours on MM1, I was able to pull off a 1LC win. MM2 (on difficult) was actually easier, thanks to the usage of E-tanks. I may try another no-E-tank run, or maybe a 1LC on Rockman 2 instead, but I need to take a small break from these games before I get back into it...

Is 1LC a run without dying? That's pretty damn impressive. I sort of regret making this a one game a month thing because I REALLY wanna play Mega Man 2, but I gotta stick to the plan.

Honestly MM1 seemed like it might be the toughest because of the lack of E Tanks and Password. People have chimed in on a few of them being pretty tough towards the end, but we'll see. At least I know I can finish 2 and 3 since I've done it a lot in the past.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Is 1LC a run without dying? That's pretty damn impressive. I sort of regret making this a one game a month thing because I REALLY wanna play Mega Man 2, but I gotta stick to the plan.

Honestly MM1 seemed like it might be the toughest because of the lack of E Tanks and Password. People have chimed in on a few of them being pretty tough towards the end, but we'll see. At least I know I can finish 2 and 3 since I've done it a lot in the past.

Yeah, they were both no-death runs. Honestly, the hardest parts of MM1 were finding out how to battle your clone, and the final battle with Wily. I just had to keep running through the stages until I could get to the bosses with enough power to go toe to toe with them.